LNBF Types.....HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McGuyver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Nuclear Testing Grounds
Can anybody tell me what the application/usage difference is between a Standard and a Universal LNBF? On this web site they say the std. is used for north american sats and the universal is used for international sats. What's the diff between the sats?
Oh....I know now....the std LNBF only understands English....DAAAA!!!!:eureka

std LNBF http://www.satelliteav.com/shop/item/LN-GEO+SL1+BLT

uni LNBF http://www.satelliteav.com/shop/item/LN-GEO+UL1+BLT

does anybody know if these LNBF's are any good?

I don't quite understand all the spec data of the two. I want to mount 2 LNBF's on my 90cm dish for IA-5 & AMC-4.

BTW, Is AMC-4 now SES-4? and is IA-5 now Galaxy 25? Why do they keep changing the names...although it may not mean much to the receiver.

The universal LNBF can receive a lower frequency range of KU signals than the standard. It is not necessary for us here in North America. There is one application for it here and its not common. I have a cheap digiwave 0.3 lnb and it works fine. Starting out, you might be best off to spend more and get something better, like an Xtreme II or an Invacomm LNB. The signals are reasonably strong on IA5, so any decent Lnb will do. Not sure about AMC4. What's on there?

LNBF Types

Starting out, you might be best off to spend more and get something better, like an Xtreme II or an Invacomm LNB.
The signals are reasonably strong on IA5, so any decent Lnb will do. Not sure about AMC4. What's on there?

I do have an Invacom Universal single 0.3db LNBF that I just bought, it's on my KTI 90cm aimed at IA-5/Galaxy25 right now, when it was aimed at AMC4 the quality/signal strength was the same as using my standard 0.6db LNBF but it seems to work better for IA-5, all of the TP's are almost exactly the same signal strength, 85 to 87, quality 99 to 100%. Signals are probably stronger than AMC4 too.

AMC4 has my Adventist religious programs and a couple of the TP's are weaker, one is hard to lock on sometimes but it's not viewed much anyway. My goal is to add another LNBF to pick up both birds with one dish to expand my channel coverage, the thing is that the standard larger LNBF's are to big, too far apart for the sat spread of 4.0 deg, resulting in signal drop, you can see what they say on this web site and the suggested solution is this conversion kit: http://www.adventistsat.com/shop/item/ATV-UPG1

these mini LNBF's and the clamp are tailor made allowing for the closer 4.0 deg spread.

I do have an Invacom Universal single 0.3db LNBF that I just bought, it's on my KTI 90cm aimed at IA-5/Galaxy25 right now, when it was aimed at AMC4 the quality/signal strength was the same as using my standard 0.6db LNBF but it seems to work better for IA-5, all of the TP's are almost exactly the same signal strength, 85 to 87, quality 99 to 100%. Signals are probably stronger than AMC4 too.
correct. The AMC4 stuff is very strong compared to IA5

AMC4 has my Adventist religious programs and a couple of the TP's are weaker, one is hard to lock on sometimes but it's not viewed much anyway. My goal is to add another LNBF to pick up both birds with one dish to expand my channel coverage, the thing is that the standard larger LNBF's are to big, too far apart for the sat spread of 4.0 deg, resulting in signal drop, you can see what they say on this web site and the suggested solution is this conversion kit: http://www.adventistsat.com/shop/item/ATV-UPG1
I did a review on that product. Check the review here in the FTA area or the Glorystar forum ;)
these mini LNBF's and the clamp are tailor made allowing for the closer 4.0 deg spread.
correct

But back to the original question, there are 2 bands of KU
KU low is 10.7-11.7Ghz
high is 11.7-12.75Ghz

In most other areas of the world a Universal is a necessity as the satellites use both bands. This allows them to load up satellites with many more signals. Here in the US there is only one satellite that needs the low band and that is PAS9 at 58W for Cubavision. Also in the US, 12.2-12.75 is for DBS (Dish/Direct/Bell ExpressVu) so a standard LNB will work just fine here (unless you want PAS9)

Thanks Iceberg, you've helped me quite a bit. I've also been considering a 1.2m Geosatpro dish and using a Geosatpro C/KU band LNBF to capture some C-band signals along with KU. I do undersatnd the dish is small for such application but SatelliteAV says people have reported success with this combo. Or would you recommend just using a C-band LNB with the 1.2m? I believe SatelliteAV also said that one may have trouble fine tuning KU signals with this combo, does that sound right? Have you any experience with this size dish and combo LNBF?

small dishes on C band

For a discussion of small dishes on C band, you might read this thread in the C Band section.
It pretty clearly explains what you can expect, given 4, 6, 8, and 10 foot dishes.

A couple of years ago, there was a lot of activity here on the forum, with everyone trying the new cheap C-band LNBs on 4 foot dishes.
It generated a lot of interest in C band, and got my attention. :)
After all the dust settled, and rational minds won out, I came to understand what's in that forum link above.

Thanks Iceberg, you've helped me quite a bit. I've also been considering a 1.2m Geosatpro dish and using a Geosatpro C/KU band LNBF to capture some C-band signals along with KU. I do undersatnd the dish is small for such application but SatelliteAV says people have reported success with this combo. Or would you recommend just using a C-band LNB with the 1.2m? I believe SatelliteAV also said that one may have trouble fine tuning KU signals with this combo, does that sound right? Have you any experience with this size dish and combo LNBF?

I havent worked with the 1.2m dish but I have worked with the C-Band LNBF they sell (I use the dual on my 6 footer)

KU should work great on a 1.2m dish but C-Band its a tad small. I know the stronger signals would work on a smaller dish.

correct

The LNB LO settings on a Universal are 9750/10600
The LNB LO on a standard is 10750

The above info (10.7-12.75) is the frequency range. The standard would only work on frequencies between 11700-12200 whereas the Universal can go down to 10700. Cubavision on PAS9 is at 11612 frequency so the UNiversal will get it but the standard will not.

correct

The LNB LO settings on a Universal are 9750/10600
The LNB LO on a standard is 10750

The above info (10.7-12.75) is the frequency range. The standard would only work on frequencies between 11700-12200 whereas the Universal can go down to 10700. Cubavision on PAS9 is at 11612 frequency so the UNiversal will get it but the standard will not.

Got It!!! I understand much better now, I have a lot to learn yet...
Arrrg! !sadroll

AMC-4 on DN 20" dish!!!

Hey! :) I just got finished setting up my converted 20" dish with a FTA LNBF and BINGO! It works....I'm pulling in all KU TP's without digitizing,,,,on the roof that is. With a short cable from the 2x1 DISEqC switch to the receiver it picks up even the weak channels such as LLBN & KUIL. But after connecting the 40' RG6 that runs inside the house, those weak TP's won't lock on, although I get 3ABN & HOPE channels loud and clear. I don't care much for the weak channels anyway, at least I can get my favorites perfectly.

The set up now consists of my KTI 90cm aimed at 97.0W and the Dish 500 20" dish fitted with a std FTA LNBF aimed at AMC-4 using a 2x1 DISEqC switch.

I'd rather have my spare parts working on the roof than to have them sitting around in my hobby room. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Starbox help...

Dish 1000 Vs. dish 1000.2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts