LNBF Replacement?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crawfrdb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
I recently purchased a home. The previous owner left behind a working DTV dish with feed and multiswitch. Is there a linear feed with the same formfactor I can replace the circular feed with so I can use it to watch FTA with?

What manufacturer/model am I looking for and who sells it?

Thanks,
B

I'm betting, like me, your previous home's owner left you a cruddy 18"... if that's the case there's not much you can see in the skys without replacing the dish, getting a true fta receiver, and possibly a motor. Theres a thread in the faqs somewhere where Ice explains what few freebie dish network channels you can pick up with an 18" dish. You can't pick up Direct TV fta since it does not exist... they scramble everthing. However, dish network does not - may seem odd that you can pick up some freebie dish network stuff on a direc tv setup, but that's the way that it works unless you have a direc tv or dish network subscription - which lets you pick up stuff besides true fta since you get the scrambled stuff... If you are after a non-dish network or direct tv satellite, of which there are many, you need, as mentioned, a bigger than 18" dish, and probably another receiver than the one that you got for direc tv setup.

yeah, it's a cheapo 18". It receives the circular polarized satellites (i.e. higher Quality %) better than my T90. I'm getting less than stellar performance with my Wave Frontier. I've yet to receive any transponder of G10R with my T90. I don't have anything to lose by just trying with the 18" and see what I get.

I have no interest in subscribing/watching DTV or Dish. Strictly interested in FTA.

So far, the only sats I've successfully received is IA5 and AMC4. KUIL-TV reception is quite strong but the IA5 transponders are a different story- if there are high winds, the signal strength with vary with the slightest movement in alignment due to wind.

I realize the lower performance of an 18" antenna but so far it is working better than my T90 so want to give it a try.

If anyone knows of where I can get a linear LNBF replacement for the standard (presumably) California Microwave circular LNBF that comes with the 18", do tell.

I've picked up CCTV with an 18" dish before but you're not going to have reliable reception of anything linear with a dish that small. Too wide of a beamwidth causes it to pick up more than one sat at a time and they end up interfering with each other. This is aside from the fact that these satellites are much weaker than DBS sats.

The T90 is a great dish but it is difficult to set up. You'll have much better luck with this if you can get it set up correctly. With all the strong signals on IA13 next door at 121WL, you're going to have a heck of a time getting anything usable out of G10R with a small dish. Good luck!

PSB said:
Pretty sure the ASC322 Standard Ku LNBF will fit on an 18" dish but it really is a lost cause!

http://www.dmsiusa.com/images/asc322b.jpg

http://www.dmsiusa.com/documents/ASC321-2.pdf

Yes, folks, I know I know I know 18" is too small. I know how everyone feels about this. But the question wasn't whether you feel it would work.

The question is where I can get a linear LNBF of the exact same form factor as the common California Microwave circular LNBF. It looks like that first LNBF mentioned above is of similar, if not same, form factor being sought. Hopefully it is the same size.

My only problem with this LNBF is it's universal. Does anyone perhaps know of a LNBF of this form factor that is not universal?

Thanks.

crawfrdb said:
Yes, folks, I know I know I know 18" is too small. I know how everyone feels about this. But the question wasn't whether you feel it would work.

You are WELCOME :D

What's the problem with a Universal (The 22Khz switch ?)

You can use it with as a single LNB by setting the L.O. to 10600 with the 22KHz tone ON.

Have you read Iceberg's review on the T90.. There's some great setup info, also.. Maybe that would help you out with your T90, just a thought..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone live around Kansas

Can I get any C band with a 1 meter dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)