LNB & Motor for 1.2m Andrew?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drumsoloz

Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I am putting together my first FTA system and need some help picking a LNB and motor for it. I have a Andrew 1.2 meter offset fiberglass dish and Pansat 3500SD. The dish came with a Andrew Ku feed horn assy. What types of LNB's can mount to the feed horn? And how to switch between them? I have also noticed other LNBF's BSC621 or BSC621-2 and the Invacom QPH-031. Not sure which one if any would work best for my application? I'll take whatever band's I can get Ku linear / circular , C. I also need help picking a motor. The dish is mounted to a 2-7/8" pole via a az/el cap mount. How do I attach a motor to the dish and mount?

Sounds like a primestar dish, by the description, or very similar. Post a pic of the mount , and feedhorn assembly if you can, somebody can give you some ideas. If it's like the old primestar dishes that a lot of us use, there's sev ways of making it a moving dish. Search for 'primestar dish & motor' and you should turn up some threads. Usually it involves removing the heavy metal mount from the dish, making a flat alum or other light material plate, then mounting that to the dish. Then it's a matter of mating that to a dish motor.

Here are some pictures of my dish.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 500
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    567.3 KB · Views: 428
  • horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 375
Good looking dish, the lnbf-mount looks just like the old primestar 1m. I think you can get sev models of lnbfs to work in that, if the neck is too small to fit in the collar I just cut a piece of black plastic pipe, split it down one side, slip it over the lnbf and then clamp it down. Sorry i don't know what mm size that is called but that part is easy.
There's sev ways to do the motor, but most involve removing that mount from the back of dish, and replacing it, to lighten the load on the motor. I put a 1m dish like it on a polar mount for a c-band dish, and move it with a regular big=dish actuator so my riggings prob wouldn't help you. I wasn't worried about the weight that much with this big dish motor/pole.
edit to add :
Here's alink to one guy's ideas: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/23072-primestar-dish-sg2100.html

Nice dish. To determine if an HH120 motor will work for this dish, you will need to check the total weight of the dish and LNBF

Turbosat, thanks for the link, great motor mount info! My LNB clamp is 1" fully closed (think it is considered 30mm). I am thinking on getting the BSC621-2 c/Ku LNBF and rig up some way to mount it.

Sadoun, my dish is about 30lbs. Do you think the Stab HH120 will be the best motor for it? Do you recommend anything else to go with the motor or LNBF? Conical scalar ring, etc?

I am thinking on getting the BSC621-2 c/Ku LNBF and rig up some way to mount it.

Sadoun, my dish is about 30lbs. Do you think the Stab HH120 will be the best motor for it? Do you recommend anything else to go with the motor or LNBF? Conical scalar ring, etc?

In this case, Yes the STAB HH120 would be the way to go. Notice the
HH120 has a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Antenna support diameter (shaft diameter) of 2 1/8".

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check the I.D. of the back mounting bracket for your dish to make sure it will mount on the HH120.

For the BSC621-2 LNBF, we have a holder that will work with it. It may need some tweaking to fit it on your dish.

[/FONT]

I have an old primestar dish. I switched the mount up-side down and added a SG2100 (from Sadoun making sure I got the additional motor shaft size 2 1/8") to move it. I had to add about 12" of radiator hose over the motor shaft (yes I said radiator hose) to take up the gap and to allow for the the difference in 2 1/8" shaft on motor and 2 7/8" shaft housing on the dish.

I have pics posted here if you'd like to see them thenetbuilder.com: Free To Air Satellite

If you have any question let me know...I'd be glad to elaborate.

It fits perfectly...and it won't slip.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out...and it doesn't look too cheezy :)

Maybe you could add it to your product line Sadoun - I won't take too many royalties on the idea - haha :)

I am not sure if I can post in this thread but I have a similar situation.
I have a 1.2 Andrew and a staab hh120 motor. The andrew dish is way to big to put on the HH120 without mods. Has anyone done this?
Here is some pics of how I have it set up right now. And the hardware that this dish comes with. The HH120 has a pole OD of 2".
I can also mount the dish on the original wall mounting hardware that it came with.

Attachments

• mounting on BUD pole.jpg
    mounting on BUD pole.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 298
  • 1.2meter dish.jpg
    1.2meter dish.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Streched open to fit.jpg
    Streched open to fit.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 296
  • elevation at 87degrees.jpg
    elevation at 87degrees.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 232
  • Dish ID.jpg
    Dish ID.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 260
What product category we should put it under? :D

How about under the "Hosed Up Dishes" section :D

Ottobus - you really need to check out my setup, i'm sure it would work for you if you turn the mount up-side down on the dish and add the radiator hose to the 2 1/8" motor adapter which allows almost a 3" dish mount (depending on the thickness of the radiator hose).

Netbuilder, thanks for the radiator hose idea and pictures, very helpful!
Also, are there any ideas/pictures on mounting an LNBF like the BSC621-2 to the dish? Don't have a good plan for that yet.

I think it was Caddata who came up with some interesting drawings and ideas for mounting the C-band LNBf to a small dish.
edit: yes, you will find it in this thread.
You might also search for 1.2 channel master or 1.2 andrew, as well as the BSC621 and the LN-GEO+CK1 which are often used.
The forum here is a wealth of such info.

Bear in mind, 4' and C-band are not exactly a marriage made in heaven.
I've been lusting for a 6' dish for some time, and even have the C-band LNB on hand.
However, after more extensive reading of this forum, I've about decided I should reconsider and look for 8' instead.

I'm with anole, that may be a bit small for a C-Band but what do I know, I don't even have my BUD up and running yet :)

Follow that link anole posted it has some good ideas. Looks like that caddata modified electrical conduit piping and made a little mount out of stuff you can find in hardware store. I'm fresh out on this one though - those pics look like a good place to start as any.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Looking for Channel Master Pgm

HH120 issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)