Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
A while back, I decided to get a receiver to compliment the Pansat and needed an upgrade for the Viacast. The Viacast is a nice unit (see my review for more info), but its limitations made me decide to get a new receiver. I didn’t need nothing fancy, but wanted more for the money. The KUSat 2600 is the answer.

Compact in size but big on features is the best way to describe this unit. The unit has features usually seen only on higher priced units, like s-video output, digital audio output, and can control a motor.

When I first got it, the thing I noticed is the size. This thing is tiny. It easily fit in the spot above the VCR I planned on using it with. I hooked it up to Galaxy 10 and turned it on. Very easy to set up. Go into the antenna install and enter the info, depending on your setup. Since the dish is fixed, all I had to enter was the LO frequency and if I had a DiSEqC switch. Since I didn’t have a switch, I exited out. The neat thing is there are 2 LO frequencies to enter. Most of the itme it’s the same, but if you have a C/KU LNB, you can enter both in there. If you have a universal LNB, it automatically enters the LO frequency.

The unit has a very current list of transponders in it. The unit does not have a blind scan, but you can add transponders very easily. I added a couple TP’s and deleted some extras (the C-Band ones). You can scan either all or FTA only. I said “FTA only” and let it do its magic. In less than a minute, I had my channels in the unit and was on my way. The picture is very clear (better than the Viacast) and it has a bar at the bottom with the channel number, name, date, time (yes, the time is accurate) and the transponder frequency.

I decided to add a DBS LNB to the mix for Nimiq 1. I went to Nimiq 1 and entered the info (LO frequency and DiSEqC switch) and hit “FTA only”. All 32 TP’s were in there, so I didn’t need to do any adding. When I got done, I had 9 video and 30 audio. This was great, because when I use the Pansat it puts some dummy channels in (resulting in deleting 100 channels). I was happy that I can scan DBS satellites, without having to spend a half hour after deleting dummy channels.

The unit does have a digital audio output, but sadly doesn’t do AC-3 (so no PBS for me) :(

It does allow you to control a motor, but I didn’t want to goof up my existing motor setup. I knew I wasn’t using a motor with this, so I decided against testing it out. But the fact it controls a motor is another plus (in case I get a second motor).

Some features on the unit are
-s-video output
-digital audio output
-EPG guide (only can get it to work on the ExpressVu free channels...doesnt work normally)
-Clock (that keeps accurate time)
-timers (you can set it to turn on and off which is great because the time will make sure it fires)
-can control a motor
-easy to operate menu
-bright yellow signal meter (turns from grey to yellow when a signal is detected)

-easy to add transponders
-can scan all or just FTA
-can scroll though channel list
-can loop out to another receiver
-can delete channels one by one, by transponder, by satellite or all (This is my favorite feature)

Only flaws I’ve found
-no blind scan (but I knew that coming in)
-meter doesn’t move much (it said 98 when I had a 98 or a 70 signal)
-wait time...the unit has 4 digits, so if you want channel 23, you can either go 0-0-2-3 or 2-3. But if you go 2-3, you have to wait a couple seconds. If you hit “OK”, it jumps to 23, but brings the channel list up.

All and all, it’s a great unit for a great price. On a 1-10 scale, I give it a 9. Other than the fact it doesn’t do a blind scan, the unit is great for a beginner or as an additional receiver. You can pick it up at www.kusat.com

Attachments

• KU Sat 01.JPG
    KU Sat 01.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 380
  • Ku Sat 10.JPG
    Ku Sat 10.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 391
  • KU Sat 09.JPG
    KU Sat 09.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Ku Sat 08.JPG
    Ku Sat 08.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Ku Sat 07.JPG
    Ku Sat 07.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Ku Sat 06.JPG
    Ku Sat 06.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 280
  • KU Sat 05.JPG
    KU Sat 05.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 310
  • KU Sat 04.JPG
    KU Sat 04.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 315
  • KU Sat 03.JPG
    KU Sat 03.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Ku Sat 02.JPG
    Ku Sat 02.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 326
  • KU Sat 11.JPG
    KU Sat 11.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 331
  • IM000206.JPG
    IM000206.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 340
  • IM000207.JPG
    IM000207.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 344
forgot the picture of the unit :)

Its the little receiver in the top slot of the entertainment center (the black one on the bottom is the Viacast)

Attachments

• Setup 4.JPG
    Setup 4.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 415
This sounds like a nice unit for the bedroom / 2nd veiwing location, too bad it doesnt pass ac3 out.

I was kind of bummed too it didn’t pass AC-3

Until I got the universal LNB, I had a line from the motorized KU & DBS running to this so I could scan the DBS satellites to see if anything is new there (and not have the Pansat issue). Now its hooked to 91 & 123….

Finally got this thing motorized :)

One thing to remember is you have to set the limits BEFORE you start working with the motor, or it won't work right

Only other thing is you cant really nudge it...if you hit a direction, dont hit it right away again or the thing will start booking it in that direction :)

I was able to get the satellites set up with no issues :)

worked with the motor a little more

if you press a direction to nudge it and press it again real quick, it starts motoring like you are holding down the button.

Press the direction to nudge it, wait at least a second then press it again. It should work better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WVGN signal strength boosted?

Equity affiliation changes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts