Just wondering... (Sling Adapter Question)

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Someone asked me this question and I didn't know the answer, but maybe someone with a Sling Adapter knows.

He is wonder wondering if anybody has tried parental or channel locks. Is the channel locked when they try to go there with the web interface? Can they enter the password and it lets them in?

So anyone know?

Yes & yes--> Using a SlingboxHD through dishonline w/ firefox 5 and latest plugin

Sling Adapter <> Slingbox. With Slingbox you are probably getting the actual on-screen prompts (correct me if I'm wrong). You don't get that with the adpater.

I just tested and I can access locked channels with the Sling Adapter without any prompts or passwords.

BUT....

After thinking about it a little, I keep my receiver in single mode normally. The adapter throws it into dual mode and I doubt I have any "TV2" locks set up.

So the real answer is I don't know. If no one jumps in, I'll set up some TV2 locks this evening and test - I probably need to know this anyway.

Last edited:
that is true, but figured it should not vary much with the DishOnline plugin. this new one looks a lot more like the SlingPlayer desktop app.

just tried using the dish iPad app and was able to do both as well, but it was more cumbersome.

That is really messed up if it bypasses the channel locks.

that is true, but figured it should not vary much with the DishOnline plugin.
The issue is not so much the plugin but the way the adapter works. With the slingbox, anything you see on screen you see remotely. The adapter streams video ONLY. None of the native 722 menus, prompts, guides, etc are displayed.

That is really messed up if it bypasses the channel locks.
It may not - I may just need to go in and create the locks for "TV2" in the 722. This is dumb in my opinion, I've always thought there should be an option for a single set of locks for both TV1&2, but that's not how they treat it.

how do you create a TV2 lock, without having a TV2 hooked up?

Hook the TV2 composite or modulated output to a separate input on your primary TV.

Unfortunately I don't have my "slung" 722 set up that way and didn't have time to play with it last night.

This is a real headache and I can't imagine support trying to talk someone through it. Global locks would be much easier. Worst of all, it still may not work - I was hoping someone already in dual mode would jump in.

My 722 is in dual tuner mode, and I have TV2 locks enabled. Yes, the channel, rating, and PPV locks all work. There is a box that appears to the right of the picture in the browser window that asks you to enter a password - if one is required.

You also don't see anything on the analog TV2 output except for a message saying that the Sling adapter is in use. No worries about ratings locked content being viewed on the analog outputs if you are watching it via the Sling adapter.

Perhaps there should be an option for it, but in my home it is pretty obvious why there are two sets of locks. My kids primarily use TV2, and often do so unsupervised. TV1 is limited to viewing in a public area in our home, and is used by the kids only with supervision. For that reason, the locks on TV1 are less restrictive than those on TV2 in my home.

my home it is pretty obvious why there are two sets of locks.
Not too different in my home, but I hated having to set up locks 4 times anytime I made a change. Since one 722 is in single mode now I only have to do it three times, but that is still at least one time more than is really necessary.

It's especially troublesome for single mode Sling users for the reason just listed - there is no way to set TV2 timers unless you have made extra and otherwise unneeded connections to be able to view TV2 menus.

We need some form of global locks or at least a "Copy to TV2" button on the lock setup screen.

Additions to the 211k guide

Sling Adapter and OTA channels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts