Just got a HD DVR off ebay now have a question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JUCJ85

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
NY
I purchased a HD DVR 21-700 off ebay for around 119 with shipping.

Now do i need a HR 24 for Whole Home DVR?

And if not, how does it work?

You do not need a HR24 for whole home

But you do need a green label SWM and a receiver DECA along with other MRV compatible receivers to work.

Only receivers with built in DECA's are the 24's

OR you could wire each MRV compatible receiver to the internet individually with cat5/6

You do not need a HR24 for whole home

But you do need a green label SWM and a receiver DECA along with other MRV compatible receivers to work.

Only receivers with built in DECA's are the 24's

OR you could wire each MRV compatible receiver to the internet individually with cat5/6

ok, I have 2 H21's and now the 1 HR21 coming.

Where would the green label be? I am a little confused.

You will need 3 receiver DECA's

If you have a SWM system, then the LNB, SWM splitter, and SWM power inserter should all have green labels (stickers) on them.
If they do not, or if your system is not SWM at all, you will need to buy a SWM LNB, 4 way or 8 way SWM splitter, and a SWM power inserter and then wire them all in correctly to get MRV.

Or you could not buy any of that and wire each receiver in to your router.

ok, i misread the model its actually a H23 for my current 2 HD receivers.

But no sign of a Green label.

How difficult is it to set up? And any tips?

ok, i misread the model its actually a H23 for my current 2 HD receivers.

But no sign of a Green label.

How difficult is it to set up? And any tips?

What you would need to do is run cat 5/6 from each box to your router. Then set up MRV at each box. Easier than it sounds to set it up, may be hard to get cable from each box to your router. Depends on your setup and box locations.
Or get D* to come set you up with DECA. They will charge you to do this most likely. Going the ethernet route would probably be cheaper, but it is not supported if you have problems.

What you would need to do is run cat 5/6 from each box to your router. Then set up MRV at each box. Easier than it sounds to set it up, may be hard to get cable from each box to your router. Depends on your setup and box locations.
Or get D* to come set you up with DECA. They will charge you to do this most likely. Going the ethernet route would probably be cheaper, but it is not supported if you have problems.

ok, luckly all of the HD receivers would be upstairs where the router is. Does the type of router matter? I have a standard Verizon router(Westell I believe). If not I can always get a faster router., Off Topic, or not, do they make routers for more than 4 Ethernet ports.

I have 1 Desktop and 2 Laptops in the house using the router, and sometimes my 360.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it.

ok, luckly all of the HD receivers would be upstairs where the router is. Does the type of router matter? I have a standard Verizon router(Westell I believe). If not I can always get a faster router., Off Topic, or not, do they make routers for more than 4 Ethernet ports.

I have 1 Desktop and 2 Laptops in the house using the router, and sometimes my 360.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it.

Simplest solution to add more ports is to get an ethernet switch box. What I would then do is hook all of the receivers that you want to use for MRV directly to the router, then hook the switch to the router and use it for your computers and such.

I doubt you will be able to activate that receiver as it is most likely leased.

That is a consideration. OP, I would call and see if you can even get it activated before you go any farther.
I would not pay for it until you can get some confirmation from the seller and from D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HELP: VOD Downloads Slowly (Can't Watch in Real Time)

How do u chnage lnb type on new hd dvr dtv receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)