Is OPENBOX S9 worth keeping?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTAer0024

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Sunny North FLA
Got one last week, and not impressed at all.. all I have to compare with is VS2000 Ultra, and my first impression, it doesn't look good for the S9.

Good things about s9:
----------------------
Blindscan is faster.
Does DVB-S2.
Supposedly functions as a PVR.

Bad:
----
Slow channel surfing.
Difficult to add channels to favorites.
Picture quality is average via Component Y Pb Pr (notably worse than Ultra's Y Cb Cr).
Picture freezes occasionally. Changing channels resolves the issue.
Occasionally, some very light bleeding of menus or something in the upper half of the screen, only noticeable when there's black background in the picture.

Does anyone know if it produces better picture quality via HDMI than it does via component?

the VS Ultra is a better quality product as far as the hardware goes....but the openbox will obviously do more....

And you have to analyze your choices for what you want to do. There simply aren't any really well built stb's being offerred these days. The low consumer price point seems to be driving the market, rather than quality.

And you have to analyze your choices for what you want to do...

Excellent point. For example, I just use my S9 to blindscan & find TPs for plugging into my HTPC. It works great for that. But if I didn't have the HTPC, and was looking for a 100% STB solution... I'd probably try one of the AZ Box units.

I have so many FTA receivers, that I don't even know the exact number anymore. One thing I do know though, none of them work as well (or smooth) as a professional satellite receiver from one of the providers. But some definitely work better than others.

Cheers

I LOVE my Openbox S9 HD DVR FTA satellite receiver. I would give up my wife before giving up my Openbox S9 HD DVR FTA satellite receiver.

I'm using HDMI and the picture quality is awesome! You should of seen the HD preseason football this past Friday.

Popcorn did you have to upgrade your firmware, or is it the original?

I LOVE my Openbox S9 HD DVR FTA satellite receiver. I would give up my wife before giving up my Openbox S9 HD DVR FTA satellite receiver.

I'm using HDMI and the picture quality is awesome! You should of seen the HD preseason football this past Friday.

Trade my wife for an OpenBox......YES.

The HDMI output is where the OpenBox really shines. Even the SD channels look very good when sent out the HDMI.
And yes it does (not supposedly) record as a PVR. Give it a try! Works good.

I have to keep reprogramming the clock. My 500gig usb powered hard drive doesn't work;the 40gig works. I wouldn't trade it in for my Dog but I plan on getting another S9 or maybe a S10. For the price it gets all the cool channels and they look great with the hdmi.

About the firmware, I just got a warning from the fridge that a new 08152011 file just came out and it is no good, audio sync issues.

Now I pronounce you Man and S9 you may Kiss the S9.... LMAO.....

Last edited:
I have to keep reprogramming the clock. My 500gig usb powered hard drive doesn't work;the 40gig works. I wouldn't trade it in for my Dog but I plan on getting another S9 or maybe a S10. For the price it gets all the cool channels and they look great with the hdmi.

clock has never worked properly on the S9/S10
the hard drive needs to be powered on its own

I could swear I read that the latest release or two of the S10 firmware fixed the clock.

I have a 2.5" HD that works OK via USB power, but it's borderline. The same drive with a different adapter didn't work, and the good adapter with a 4' extension cable won't work.

About the firmware, I just got a warning from the fridge that a new 08152011 file just came out and it is no good, audio sync issues.

I tried it VERY briefly tonight, will have to try more later. I had huge audio sync issues on the one recorded program that I tried, but not on either of the two live programs that I tried.

I have a 2.5" HD that works OK via USB power, but it's borderline. The same drive with a different adapter didn't work, and the good adapter with a 4' extension cable won't work.

I have used a bus-powered portable hard drive (a Western Digital Passport 320 to be exact) on the Openbox S9 without any problems. You MUST use the short USB cable provided with the drive. A longer cable will not work (and that is the case even when the drive is connected to a PC)...

Hmmm...I guess i'm missing something here.. I ran the VS ultra for a long time until I got an Openbox S-9. Now all of my VS's are back in the original boxes with S-9's in thier place. The VS's won't decode the audio on the channels I want to watch and they won't do DVB-s2...As far as the clock...you uses the clock? I sure don't..Just my input.

NOPE! I BID $20...make that $10 since it ain't worth nothing.

No really, all boxes have problems. I have a Vs 2000 also and it is a great box. But it can't get AC3 audio (can output it digital), it can't do S2 and, well, for SD it is great. You'll learn to love the Openbox. HDMI is where it shines.

It has flaws...I reboot it to record just in case it helps (like a long movie). The clock don't work, well keep time between reboots. You can set it and leave it on and the timer record will work then.

I'd love to a have a Viewsat DVB-S2 HD receiver! That would be nice, it also ain't gonna happen. Technology comes and goes. look at that first Athlon...or P4, almost worthless now, hardly worth the electricity to run them.

I know guys...file server/linux, etc...I know...but it makes the point.

My Ultra is in the BR and I'm looking for a second box. That $10 still stands. I have a HDTV in there so an Rf modulator could send SD to it (quality is not my main concern as I like to listen and watch while on the computer), but it makes the main HDTV switch to 480i also, no good.

I like to kick back with some MeTV AC3 audio and others, RTV H.264.

Hang in there with that S9 and it'll earn its shelf space.

This will make ya cry. I have a Panasonic, GI, 2-3 HTS, and a couple other nice analog receivers. These were some of the best receivers that will ever be made (quality wise)...can't watch hardly anything on them anymore. The Ultra will have to join them someday and maybe during WWW III they'll be worth something for scrap! Remember WWII, they made pennies out of steel because they needed the copper.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GBox V4000 with Polarator control

Norsat 8525

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)