Is OPENBOX S9 worth keeping?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hmmm...I guess i'm missing something here.. I ran the VS ultra for a long time until I got an Openbox S-9. Now all of my VS's are back in the original boxes with S-9's in thier place. The VS's won't decode the audio on the channels I want to watch and they won't do DVB-s2...As far as the clock...you uses the clock? I sure don't..Just my input.

I believe viewsat released a factory file that enabled the AC3 audio, but that file would be hard to find these days, or you can always use the optical output to get the AC3 audio, but still obviously no dvb-s2 or HD,

The vs ultra is my favorite sd receiver, nice user friendly menus, great features, decent blind scan, and nice on screen displays,

Whenever I aim dishes I always use my ultra, I find its signal and quality readings/meters are the most accurate out of any receiver I have used (50+)

My Ultra is in the BR and I'm looking for a second box. That $10 still stands. I have a HDTV in there so an Rf modulator could send SD to it (quality is not my main concern as I like to listen and watch while on the computer), but it makes the main HDTV switch to 480i also, no good.

With the new firmware, the S9 is supposed to be fully functional on the composite output when in an HD mode.

Yes, VS Ultra has a good functioning signal quality meter.. The S9 box shows about the same signal quality on every channel (which I know can't be true), where my VS box shows anywhere from 30 to 70 in quality.. and the gauges on the screen update faster.

I did some fine tuning of the LNBF position on the arm, using VS's signal quality gauge.. with the s9 quality meter, now it's impossible :rolleyes:

I believe viewsat released a factory file that enabled the AC3 audio, but that file would be hard to find these days, or you can always use the optical output to get the AC3 audio, but still obviously no dvb-s2 or HD,

The vs ultra is my favorite sd receiver, nice user friendly menus, great features, decent blind scan, and nice on screen displays,

Whenever I aim dishes I always use my ultra, I find its signal and quality readings/meters are the most accurate out of any receiver I have used (50+)

I have to agree about the s 9 signal meter, I use my azbox for that when nudging the dish-always spot on. I do prefer the s9 blind scan speed though.

That's true, it does. I use a small TV as a scan monitor while the big TV is busy with a real show. I have a manual switchbox which selects any of 4 receivers to monitor. :)

You're right brent!

You have to set the S9 to 1080i 60 as 1080i 50 makes the composite roll. My mistake. LOOKS GREAT. Now I'm gonna feed it to an RF modulator and send it a couple of places. I know, not the best but it'll work. Back in the day I had a TV Genie. Can't find'em now. You plug your AV in and it transmitted it on a UHF channel throughout your house with no receiver needed on the other end. Was great but they made some law against them and poof they are gone!

Thanks.

I've made the same "mistake" myself. Forgot to set the video resolution correctly ( since the HDTV interprets both 50 and 60 Hertz) . Got to do it every time a new firmware is loaded :)

Yankee, when I use an rf modulator and run my sound through the surround and my pic through the computer to view in media center the audio gets thrown way off. Do you have any audio/video problems when you use a modulator? If I got a modulator with s-video output would that help? Thanks. I should probably just get a pc hdmi input like the Colossus but the money is a little rich for me at the moment.

You're right brent!

You have to set the S9 to 1080i 60 as 1080i 50 makes the composite roll. My mistake. LOOKS GREAT. Now I'm gonna feed it to an RF modulator and send it a couple of places. I know, not the best but it'll work. Back in the day I had a TV Genie. Can't find'em now. You plug your AV in and it transmitted it on a UHF channel throughout your house with no receiver needed on the other end. Was great but they made some law against them and poof they are gone!

Thanks.

And it is, with Y Pb Pr. With YCb Cr, it is only functional at lower resolutions. If set to 720p or 1080i/60, the picture gets scrambled on Y Cb Cr inputs. It does work on Y Pb Pr component in 720p or 1080i, but the picture quality of SD channels is not that great.. The VS Ultra's 1080i upconverted picture on YCbCr output is almost DVD-like on SD channels. The S9's video quality on YPbPr is more like the video you get from the yellow composite video jack, or s-video. Unfortunately, my lcd hdtv does not have HDMI inputs (older model).

With the new firmware, the S9 is supposed to be fully functional on the composite output when in an HD mode.

If you are having hard drive issues with recording pvr may I suggest that you try a flash drive instead. Uses less power and takes up alot less space.

I believe the S9 like the S10 are to be used with HDMI connection because I have had the S9 and now the S10 and with HDMI cable the SD transmission look very good and the 1080i transmission are awesome.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GBox V4000 with Polarator control

Norsat 8525

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)