Is Gemini worth it? Email claiming free upgrade.

cypherstream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I recieved an email today from DirecTV claming the perks of the Gemini with a nice looking voice remote, Google apps I guess, etc... They claim its a free upgrade offer but the fine print does say that its a 12 month commitment.

I just have one HR-44 and then we have 3 Roku's and 1 Apple TV running the DirecTV app. Were happy with the setup and everything works fine. Is there any real reason to consider the Gemini? I mean all of our TV's can already do apps. The one with the HR-44 is a Google TV by Sony. If I want voice I would have to pick up that remote. I don't know if its worth the hassle and I don't want to pay any more. But I've had the HR-44 for YEARS, so is newer gear faster to click around and operate? Any other unspoken advantages? My gut feeling is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Especially since we have all those recordings and settings on the HR44. The neat thing is a lot of it is accessible on the app in our other rooms. I got rid of other receivers to save the additional TV fee since the App works fine for what we would use it for.

I love my Gemini, but in your case, it might not make sense. The Gemini is just a client to the Genie server (HR44 in your case), just as any of the DIRECTV clients are, so for the DIRECTV satellite stuff, including menus and guides, etc, it would be no faster than your HR44 is now. On the apps side, the Gemini is running a customized GoogleTV. I like the voice remote and the fact that it links to Google Assistant and my Google Home devices. You would need to connect the Gemini via coax to the DIRCTV MOCA network, or acquire a DIRECTV WVB to use wireless for the connection to the HR44. Since it is already running a specialized DIRECTV app, you can't load the regular DIRECTV app on the Gemini.

Reactions: harshness
There is one way you can benefit from that free Gemini. Order it as a co-located configuration. That would give you a 4K output for the TV currently connected to the HR44. The Gemini connects to the HR44 with an ethernet cable, and they disable the video streams from the HDMI port on the HR44. This doesn't add an extra $7 receiver fee. The HR44 would have to connect to the Internet via your home wireless network, rather than the Ethernet jack. DIRECTV wants to assure that the Genie client-server IP traffic doesn't travel on the same medium as other IP traffic. (There is an unauthorized solution that can accomplish that.).

There is one way you can benefit from that free Gemini. Order it as a co-located configuration. That would give you a 4K output for the TV currently connected to the HR44. The Gemini connects to the HR44 with an ethernet cable, and they disable the video streams from the HDMI port on the HR44. This doesn't add an extra $7 receiver fee. The HR44 would have to connect to the Internet via your home wireless network, rather than the Ethernet jack. DIRECTV wants to assure that the Genie client-server IP traffic doesn't travel on the same medium as other IP traffic. (There is an unauthorized solution that can accomplish that.).
Can the Gemini get 4K co-located with an HR44? When I upgraded to 4K they replaced my HR44 with an HR54 and added a C61K for 4K. They told me I couldn't get 4K with an HR44. That was about 5 years ago.

Can the Gemini get 4K co-located with an HR44? When I upgraded to 4K they replaced my HR44 with an HR54 and added a C61K for 4K. They told me I couldn't get 4K with an HR44. That was about 5 years ago.
I believe they have changed the rules. The need for a HR54 was tied into their plan for doing transponder bonding for 4K, which seems to have been abandoned. One of our CE testers was able to get a co-located Gemini on a HR44, with the regular Free Gemini offer over a year ago. He does not have a 4K TV, but I believe he can see the 4K channels downconverted to 1080P.

You cannot connect a Gemini to a H44.

Last edited:
Reactions: b4pjoe
The Free Gemini offer with the 12 month commitment requires a self install. If they have to send out a installer, it goes to 24 months. All Geminis are the same, the kit they send you depends on the connection method you specify. "Wired" assumes you are replacing a wired client, and have coax to the location, and they provide a DECA adapter to connect to the coax MOCA network. With the co-located kit (HR44 or HR54 only), it includes a short Ethernet cable, and adds a "service" to your account that disables the Genie 1 video output when you activate the Gemini. For the "Wireless" configuration, it is just the Gemini, but you must have WVB either built into a HS17, or an external one connected to a coax splitter port. If you look for a used WVB on Ebay, try to get a WVB2, it's better. I have configured all three of these connections, using the same Gemini.

Reactions: b4pjoe
Can you imagine trying to explain this to a CSR.

Can you imagine trying to explain this to a CSR.
You don't have to explain that. They have the scripts. You call the number they give you for the Gemini offer. You choose Wired, Wireless or Co-located Gemini kit. Their order system takes care of the rest. The installation instructions sent with each (available online also) shows you how to connect it and initialize the Gemini. If you get a clueless CSR, hang up and try again.

Reactions: Jimbo
A little over year ago, when the first self install Gemini offer came out, I got one of the first offers. I called the number I was given, and got a clueless CSR who was unaware of the offer and insisted I would need a truck roll and 24 month commitment. I told her that was not what it said on my offer and told her to cancel any order. A couple days later, I got a CSR who understood the offer and there was no problem. That installation was a wired replacement of a C61K. Any installation that appears to require new wiring or the installation of a WVB raises red flags on their system.

I would consider the co located option. Assuming it works with the HR44. Yeah I can install it, I do IT for a living. If I can wire up cabinets in the datacenter and configure networking, routing, vlans, storage arrays and servers- this would be cake.

Right now my HR44 is Ethernet connected. But on my ceiling in the same room I do have a UniFi U6 Pro AP.

Oh and is Paramount+ on Gemini? I can’t get anything Paramount+ to play at all on my Sony Google TV. I can’t even airplay it or cast from the iPhone paramount plus app. It just spins and spins. I think they use a codec Sony just can’t recognize.

It’s available on Gemini, but I’m not sure if it comes with it pre-installed or not. If it isn’t, you can download it from the Google Play Store on Gemini.

It’s available on Gemini, but I’m not sure if it comes with it pre-installed or not. If it isn’t, you can download it from the Google Play Store on Gemini.

If Google play store is available then this might be a good offer. My 65” Sony x900h is a 2020 model I believe and when we first got it activated in January 2021 it was lightning fast. But now over the years it’s gotten much slower. Like I said before Paramount+ doesn’t even play. I can navigate but all videos just spin. I don’t have that issue on my phone, Apple TV or any of our Roku’s. All the other apps work fine on the Sony TV, so it’s just this one app. I even put a faster SD card> usb adapter and it doesn’t matter if the app is on internal or external storage.

I’ll have to consider this and talk to my wife about it. If she’s not into change then I’ll pass “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”, but if she’s up for it and we won’t lose any recordings or settings then I’ll do it collocated. I have 4 Ethernet jacks on the wall plate behind the tv, I would attempt home running the Ethernet to the switch where the genie is. Obviously if that doesn’t work I’ll move the genie to WiFi and use the short crossover cable I guess they ship with it.

I’d even consider relocating the HR44 to my network shelf with my switches and routing gear in the basement by the patch panel. I don’t know. I guess the old remote would have to go in a drawer because it would light up the HR44’s front panel and try to control that likely.

Reactions: lordodogg
Obviously if that doesn’t work I’ll move the genie to WiFi and use the short crossover cable I guess they ship with it.
WiFi is your only option for internet access to the HR44 if it is colocated as the Gemini has to connect directly to the HR44 via Ethernet cable from the Gemini Ethernet port to the HR44 Ethernet port.
Can the apps on the Gemini do 4k like Netflix and YouTube?
Yes.
Oh and is Paramount+ on Gemini?
It is available to install from the Play store as was mentioned. I have it on my Gemini and it works fine.

WiFi is your only option for internet access to the HR44 if it is colocated as the Gemini has to connect directly to the HR44 via Ethernet cable from the Gemini Ethernet port to the HR44 Ethernet port.

Yes.

It is available to install from the Play store as was mentioned. I have it on my Gemini and it works fine.
I found the review here HANDS ON REVIEW: DIRECTV Gemini Internet-Enabled Genie Client - The Solid Signal Blog

Sorry to be a pest, one more question…. How much internal memory does it have for Google play store apps? What I found with my TV it comes with very little memory. Early on I had to add a USB stick (32GB) and in Google tv manually move applications from TV’s limited internal storage to USB external storage.

I haven’t ever really encountered a space issue on Apple TV in the bedroom, or any of the Roku’s in the kids rooms and family room. Just our living room Sony Android TV. I know my daughters Samsung TV has limited memory and very slow performance, which is why I put a roku 4k streaming stick on hers.

I found the review here HANDS ON REVIEW: DIRECTV Gemini Internet-Enabled Genie Client - The Solid Signal Blog

Sorry to be a pest, one more question…. How much internal memory does it have for Google play store apps? What I found with my TV it comes with very little memory. Early on I had to add a USB stick (32GB) and in Google tv manually move applications from TV’s limited internal storage to USB external storage.

I haven’t ever really encountered a space issue on Apple TV in the bedroom, or any of the Roku’s in the kids rooms and family room. Just our living room Sony Android TV. I know my daughters Samsung TV has limited memory and very slow performance, which is why I put a roku 4k streaming stick on hers.
When I got low on Memory on the Sony, I was able to go in and remove apps that I didn't expect to use ... thats been quite awhile ago, I don't remember exactly how to do it anymore.

When I got low on Memory on the Sony, I was able to go in and remove apps that I didn't expect to use ... thats been quite awhile ago, I don't remember exactly how to do it anymore.
Yeah there’s a storage option in the settings menu that let you remove or move apps from one storage device (internal) to another (usb). I deleted some and moved some to USB stick. I think the tv has a paltry 4GB internal and if the OS Google TV already takes up about 2.1GB of that, there’s not a lot of storage these days for stuff. So I have a 32GB Dell mini SDHC card in a Sandisk mini SD to USB converter. I have a bunch of the Dell SD cards from upgrading servers at work to the nvme based Dell BOSS cards to boot VMware. Sometime in ESXi 7 they stoped recommending USB and SD cards for boot due to excessive writes.

I wonder how much storage the Gemini has for apps? I’d imagine there’s a storage menu somewhere. Then with the usb port can you offload apps to a thumb drive?

Yeah there’s a storage option in the settings menu that let you remove or move apps from one storage device (internal) to another (usb). I deleted some and moved some to USB stick. I think the tv has a paltry 4GB internal and if the OS Google TV already takes up about 2.1GB of that, there’s not a lot of storage these days for stuff. So I have a 32GB Dell mini SDHC card in a Sandisk mini SD to USB converter. I have a bunch of the Dell SD cards from upgrading servers at work to the nvme based Dell BOSS cards to boot VMware. Sometime in ESXi 7 they stoped recommending USB and SD cards for boot due to excessive writes.

I wonder how much storage the Gemini has for apps? I’d imagine there’s a storage menu somewhere. Then with the usb port can you offload apps to a thumb drive?
I can't help you on that one, I don't have a Gemini to try to find it for you.

The only thing I can find is that the original Osprey for streaming (now called the Gemini) had 16 GB of internal storage. It appears the Gemini for DIRECTV only has 8 GB allocated for apps. I have 6.3 GB of apps installed and it shows I have 1.6 GB available. We have Apple TV+, Disney+, Peacock, Paramount+ w/Showtime, Hulu, Tubi, Freevee, Amazon Prime, ESPN, and MAX installed and they all seem to work fine.

DirecTV Genie Redesigned Menus

Stream issues