Is Band Stop Filter required in SWM5 1wire 3 x HR23 receiver MRV Setup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
My Setup is 3x HR23 a SWM5 with 1 wire that comes to SWM8 and from there it feeds three HR23s.

I'm not going to be setting up the broadband DECA, I don't need Internet for the receivers.

From what I can see I need 3 DECAs but what about the Band Stop Filter?

Here is why I am confused in my research I see people say to use the Band Stop for one of these reasons, but the sites never mention both of them, they aleways refer to one of them, so which one is it?

If bothof those situations are true, that means I need a BSF because my SWM8 does not have a green sticker, but I find that suprising because most Diagrams I look at don't have the BSF for my type of install.

"When connecting a SWM or any other non-green-label device to an MRV network, you need a BSF to block competing traffic in the MRV frequency range."

OR

"To be used in conjunction with DECA System for certain receivers, like the HR20-100, for integration of MRV (Multi Room Viewing) For use with DIRECTV Connected home."

You should not need a Band Stop filter. Your SWM8 is compatible as well as your recievers. Band Stop Filters should only be used in conjunction with non compatible recievers d12, R16, and H20 to stop signal distortion.

You should not need a Band Stop filter. Your SWM8 is compatible as well as your recievers. Band Stop Filters should only be used in conjunction with non compatible recievers d12, R16, and H20 to stop signal distortion.

Thanks, even though the SWM8 doesn't have a green sticker?

Can anyone confirm if the new SWM8s have green stickers? even if they do, I don't know if that 100% confirms the older SWM8s needs the Band Stop Filter for use with newer receivers like the HR23.

Yes, whole home should work with the swm even though it doesn't have a green sticker. If you call customer service it can be confirmed before hand. The system lets us know if you have compatible equipment. If the system doesn't detect the correct equipment it will not allow whole home to be added on the account. And if you ever do need deca's we will ship them out to you at no cost. I cannot confirm the green sticker question as i could not find that information anywhere in the system. The band Stop Filter stops signal distortion for recievers on the network that aren't capable of sharing content via the whole home dvr service. By installing them you would be blocking the whole home dvr service to the recievers and would be unable to share recordings.

Last edited:
Yes, the new SWM equipment that is approved for MRV use have green stickers, but it reportedly does work with the older white label splitters. I've only heard of using the BSFs on SD boxes (like megan said to prevent interference), and seeing as they block the MRV signal they can't be used on any box you intend to use with MRV. You just need to try it, and if it doesn't work swap your splitter for a green label one. It's that simple.

And please call technical support in advance to confirm that mrv can be added. That is one of my worst call scenerios when a customer has spent time hooking systems up and then the computer system will not allow me to add the service. I am also having my Supervisor get me a definate answer on the green sticker.

And please call technical support in advance to confirm that mrv can be added. That is one of my worst call scenerios when a customer has spent time hooking systems up and then the computer system will not allow me to add the service. I am also having my Supervisor get me a definate answer on the green sticker.

I will be ordering the DECAs myself off of ebay and installing them myself. Can I just email Customer Service when it done to add MRV to my account, will they be able to do that from an email I send from within my Web account?

Let's say my setup has 4 receivers, but I only place DECAS on 3 of the 4, does Customer Support have to know that, like does MRV get turned by receiver or do they just turn it on for all the receivers on the account regardless if you are using it in the MRV or not?

They don't need to know that. Once the MRV service is active, it's available on all HD receivers, and you can add or delete them from the pool at will.

Hi Megan,

Did you hear back anyting.

I ended up purchasing 3 x Decas and a Band stop Filter, for as many people who told me I don't need one with a Whtie sticker SWM8, I've had the same amount tell me that I do need one. I got one just in case.

1. I'm going to start off not installing the Band Stop, If I do need one, what kind of problems would I experience?

2. Am I correct in saying the Bandstop goes before my SWM8, so I have one wirecming in from my SWM SL5, so I put the band stop there and from there in to the SWM8.

3. Will Directv add MRV to my account just by requesting it by email from my Drectv online account?

Thanks for the help everyone!

You're not going to need a filter at all. Just return it. As I said before its sole purpose is to prevent MRV signals from getting into SD receivers, where they can cause interference problems within the tuner. It is normally installed at each SD receiver. You do not need one between the splitter (SWM8) and the dish because the dish LNB has it built in.

You don't have to contact them at all. You just log into your account, go to the My Services tab, then click Whole Home DVR, then click the Activate button. You'll get the disclaimer that it'll add $3 a month to your bill, click OK and give it a few minutes to authorize your receivers.

You don't have to contact them at all. You just log into your account, go to the My Services tab, then click Whole Home DVR, then click the Activate button. You'll get the disclaimer that it'll add $3 a month to your bill, click OK and give it a few minutes to authorize your receivers.

Thanks, I went in to my online account and for MRV is says I'm not elgibile and to Call to Activate.

Any idea why it would say that or not allow me to activate online like that?

Most likely because your equipment is listed as non-MRV compatible. Just call them and tell them you have installed DECA units and want MRV added to your account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ouestion about Family package

Will Receiver work on two different dishes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)