iPad transfer limitation

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
We transferred a 30 min program to the iPad3. Diners, Drive ins & Dives. Connected it to an HDTV at our RV via the Apple HDMI connector. Trying to watch just gets the message "Video playback is not allowed when your screen is mirrored."

Is there a way of turning off the iPad screen so we can watch on the larger screen, or otherwise get this to work?

Of course, with the HDMI disconnected, we can watch it ok on the iPad, but that's kinda hard for two people.

Or would the Apple component adapter (I think I saw such) work?

Sad, because this was a major reason for moving to the Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I doubt it. Maybe if you had an Apple TV and used Airplay, it would work? Damn copyright laws.

If it doesn't work via HDMI it wouldn't work via Airplay either. It is still mirroring and there are plenty of apps that don't allow that. HBOGo didn't until recently and Amazon Instant still doesn't. When you try to mirror an app that doesn't allow it to the Apple TV all you will get is sound.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not a lot of joy here folks!

<sigh>

Is that an Apple limitation? I have watched Amazon movies and programs streaming to my Android Tablet, using HDMI out. What I can't do (and there is no app that will do it) is download any movies from Amazon to Android.

Is that an Apple limitation? I have watched Amazon movies and programs streaming to my Android Tablet, using HDMI out. What I can't do (and there is no app that will do it) is download any movies from Amazon to Android.

It's not exactly a limitation. The iPad and iPhone have the ability to mirror the screen for games, video, etc... They can do that via an HDMI adapter or more commonly wireless via airplay to an Apple TV.

Individual apps have the ability to intentionally block mirroring. HBO Go used to be one of those apps until they came to an agreement with Apple recently. Supposedly they are releasing a native channel for Apple TV soon.

Unlike android Apple has to approve every app that will be released for iOS. They may have come to an agreement that didn't allow Amazon to mirror to avoid competition with iTunes. Amazon may have agreed to this to get into as many consumers hands as possible.

For whatever reason Dish has also chosen to block mirroring. They may not want people using iPad transfer or dish anywhere as an alternative to an extra receiver. It could just be a copyright issue.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Do you think using component would get around this?

Actually I just tried mirroring dish anywhere live TV via AirPlay to my Apple TV and it worked. I assumed it wouldn't because you said iPad transfer didn't and I have tried other apps like amazon and got the same message. I have never tried iPad transfer even though I have the HWS. Does it use a separate app instead of the dish anywhere app for sling? If live TV works I don't see why transferred shows shouldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Separate app.

Wow. So that's 3 apps on my iPad now to make it work with my hopper (dish anywhere, dish explorer, and hopper transfer). It seems a little crazy that they can't just make one Dish app that supports all of these features consistently. If mirroring works for live or DVR recordings they should have the consistency to make it work for transferred recordings.

That IS disappointing news. My Android tablet mirrors just fine using HD Player. I wonder if a Dish app could shut down my HDMI at will? Maybe that's why the have yet to release an Android Hopper/Transfer app. They haven't figured out how to prevent us from using our tablets as we see fit!

Wow. So that's 3 apps on my iPad now to make it work with my hopper (dish anywhere, dish explorer, and hopper transfer). It seems a little crazy that they can't just make one Dish app that supports all of these features consistently. If mirroring works for live or DVR recordings they should have the consistency to make it work for transferred recordings.

I bet they start combining them into one app somewhere down the road.

That IS disappointing news. My Android tablet mirrors just fine using HD Player. I wonder if a Dish app could shut down my HDMI at will? Maybe that's why the have yet to release an Android Hopper/Transfer app. They haven't figured out how to prevent us from using our tablets as we see fit!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm betting that's why Amazon downloads are not available on Android, or the Dish-Hopper app, because the market is so wide open someone will surely have an app to defeat the blocking. I can use the HDMI out on my Tablet for any video/Youtube video downloaded on there, anything from Slingbox, rips from DVD's, or that I am streaming.
There are apps to defeat the no download on mobile that Youtube has, and it would be something very similar to defeat blocking output to HDMI.

Hopper Installed!

cant update software on vip211 and 1000.4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts