Installing second receiver, dumb question

Tertius

Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
I want to add a second receiver to an existing Dish 500 installation. The second receiver will be an old JVC unit that is currently gathering dust but works. Examining the existing system reveals that it is a 501 receiver connected through an SW-21 switch to the dish. Alas, when inspecting the dish I discover that it has the requisite dual LNBF's for 110 and 119 but they are single output LNBF's.

It seems to me as if the simplest upgrade would involve adding a second SW-21 for the second receiver and swapping the single output LNBF's for a pair of dual output ones, or perhaps getting a quad output pair (the DishPro twin). After reading much of this board however I see that I am not as familiar with the current options and equipment as I used to be.

Does my current plan make sense or is there reason to approach it another way? If I do indeed have to replace the LNBF's (and I cannot see how I can add a receiver otherwise) would it make more sense to simply scrap everything on the roof for better equipment?

Thanks all.

First, the old JVC can not handle DishPro gear without an adapter - $60 I think.

Your existing used LNBF/switch equipment is worth very little. Maybe $20 total.

Think beyond the second receiver - any chance of more later?
How about needing to reach a 3rd satellite?

If NEITHER, grab a LEGACY Twin, and you're done.

Otherwise, you've got to consider DishPro LNBFs - in which case, the old JVC isn't worth hooking up - the necessary adapter costs near as much as a new 311.

I'm glad I asked. I did not know that the newer DishPro equipment was not backwards compatible with older receivers. That changes things a bit.

I don't believe that there will be a need for more than two receivers anytime in the near future however I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to being able to upgrade equipment, mainly dealing with computers but the same holds true here.

Thanks for the info SS.

You're welcome.

Just for clarity, Legacy (4-digit model numbers) receivers are not directly compatible with DishPro LNBFs and switches (except the DPP44).

However, DishPro (3-digit model numbers) receivers ARE directly compatible with Legacy LNBFs.

So, "to err on the side of caution", a DishPro Twin plus a 311 receiver will give you the lowest-cost entry to the DP world. If you need to expand to 3+ receivers AND/OR 3+ satellites, then you would only need to add a DP switch.

Caller ID/VCR Timer on 322

Why no StarzHD and MaxHD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)