Installing 72.5 dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doubled

Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I'm having a bit of a problem with my local programming on the 72.5 dish. I just dumped the cable company and upgraded my OLD D* receivers and service to receive HD and locals.

The slimline went up well, the H20 receiver has all 4 channels of HD :D, and signal strength is good. One problem, when it searches for the 72.5 dish, it fails (every time). I've reset the receiver, reset my system via the website and I have "72.5 dish installed" checked during the auto setup.

I aimed the second dish with an Accutrac Pro and my trusty compass using the coordinates supplied by the H20. According to my meter, I've got good signal at both the lnb and the multi switch.

I purchased a Zinwell wb6x16 switch and have a single cable running from my second dish to flexport 1 on the switch. All cabling is new, solid copper core and quad shielded.

My questions are:

1) Am I doing something wrong?
2) Can I acquire the 72.5 sat using my d10 receiver?
3) How can I test the switch (with out swapping it out)?
4) What transponder are my locals on (La Crosse/Eau Claire WI).

I choose to self install because I like doing this sort of thing and my local installers seem to be averse to climbing a ladder taller than my 4 year old.

Thanks for your help

Well first of all, I actually prefer to use an OLD (2nd gen) receiver to align the 72.5 dish, because a D* receiver will ONLY respond to D* birds & NOT other DBS birds. (like E* or Expressvu) It's very possible that when you thought you were getting a strong signal on your meter, you in fact could be seeing another DBS bird. (other techs on Claude's board have had this same problem)

The simplest way to check is, run the 72.5 coax DIRECTLY into one of your D* receivers, select the 101 meter & see if you are getting a signal. If you have the dish aimed correctly, you should be seeing signal ONLY on the even x-ponders. (most likely this will not be the case) Then simply realign the dish using the receiver, THEN reconnect everything & your receivers should be able to find the 72.5 bird with no problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Grainy / Blurry HD Picture

OK, where'd the locals go???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)