Install options?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpc165

Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
I ordered Direct TV last week to get the NFL package. I live in a 2 story apt/townhouse. I have a patio area where we are permitted to install sat dishes. My problem is the front of my apt. faces the Northeast. So the direct TV install guys came out saturday morning and said I am screwed.

In order for the sat to get a clear signal they would have to place it about 10 feet out from my patio. My question is: Do I have any other install options?? I really need the NFL package and I won't be moving out for at least 9 months. We can't put dishes on the roof. I read through the FCC law that gives tenants permission to place dishes on their patios/balconys. Can't I have someone build a post to raise the dish high enough to get a clear signal?

jpc165 said:
I ordered Direct TV last week to get the NFL package. I live in a 2 story apt/townhouse. I have a patio area where we are permitted to install sat dishes. My problem is the front of my apt. faces the Northeast. So the direct TV install guys came out saturday morning and said I am screwed.

In order for the sat to get a clear signal they would have to place it about 10 feet out from my patio. My question is: Do I have any other install options?? I really need the NFL package and I won't be moving out for at least 9 months. We can't put dishes on the roof. I read through the FCC law that gives tenants permission to place dishes on their patios/balconys. Can't I have someone build a post to raise the dish high enough to get a clear signal?
It needs to be in your "exclusive use" area. All you can really do is talk to a neighbor who has line of sight ...

We have some folks with (mostly) north facing balconies on the top floor who solved that problem like this:

over-roof-dish1.jpg

If you can get the mast high enough, you should be able to get a signal if you can clear the roof. Get it too high and you start having wind problems, but if the mast is well secured, it shouldn't be too bad.

Of course now that I look at the picture again, perhaps their balconies face more west than north, but the sats are higher up than you would think. Unless you live in maine. These folks live in southeast PA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BravoHD - when?

DirectTV - HD upgrade special - any deal$ lately?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)