I hope H378 cures my audio dropouts.

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
Several times a day H3 audio drops out. Sometimes I can restore it by simply changing channels but more often it requires a system restart. Am I alone with this problem?

I get it a lot when using Multi-View. I have to jump from one corner to the next to get it working.
I hope the next update fixes the 10-second skip back that sometimes goes back several minutes.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Have had alot audio drops since the update, and more so on the streaming channels, but think that has something to do with fact hopper is barely pull 5mbps , and it 4 feet from the router so signal issnt the problem. special seeing I reboot router countless time along with hopper 3 and still does so my assumption is it the software.

And annoyingly the micro skips that appear on live tv on joey and joey only are back, if play same sections in live buffer there is no skip.

I reset both my h3 today bunch times and disconnected/reconnect to both 2ghz and 5ghz band bunch times, reset router just as much both h3 wifi connects are barely pushing 5mbps, I have 1gbps connection and most wifi connections in if put them in same room and same locations as h3 happly push 300+ mbps,

H3 where always on slow side meaning usual I was lucky to get 100mbps most time it was half that, but since the update, it so bad that streaming channels and on demand that I litterly see buffering screen flash for second, never mind how many time is just freeze up. On demand show sub 5mbps download speeds, and I will to bet if streaming channels show download speeds it would show the same.

Dont know what update did but didnt do wifi connection streaming/on demand any favors

Have had alot audio drops since the update, and more so on the streaming channels, but think that has something to do with fact hopper is barely pull 5mbps , and it 4 feet from the router so signal issnt the problem. special seeing I reboot router countless time along with hopper 3 and still does so my assumption is it the software.

And annoyingly the micro skips that appear on live tv on joey and joey only are back, if play same sections in live buffer there is no skip.
How do you find what the actual transfer rate is on the Hopper 3 as I thought it only showed signal strength? The only way I can show what speed it is by using a Speed Test Android App on the Hopper Plus which uses the Hopper 3's internet connection which shows 127.71Mbps down/43.25Mbps up as seen below.

Just forced update to Hopper 3 with H378 from H376 with a Hopper Plus P12902 and didn't see what happened before the following screen is new, atleast it now shows the upgrade progress on a Hopper 3/Hopper Plus combo instead of in H376 when updating from H375 where instead of seeing the updating progress, there is no video at all and eventually, there is no video other than a black screen as if the TV was off. The Guide is available and hitting option on TV Activity will show I think 6 tuners in use, 1 and 6 says Available and 2-5 that says Software Updating but after idling, the video will be black again as if the TV was off. After some time, it will reboot and in the Diagnostics screen, Available Joey Software will only show the J and W versions and no longer the P versions needed for the Hopper Plus which is the same even if I manually rebooted again. When I goto Tools -> Technician Settings -> Download ATV files, it will show a box:
Download ATV Files 3000
This device is not currently targeted for
Android software
[OK]
Using the Hopper Plus to update would also show Target failed.

In H376, the nightly reboot is what fixed the Hopper Plus software showing up as a Reset Hopper did not.

Also, think this is new in H378, atleast I don't remember seeing this in H376... In the Hopper 3 Diagnostics screen under Tools, there is now a "Reset Hopper Plus" in addition to the "Reset Hopper". H378 still has the issue where 119GB-120GB free is considered 100% full on the HDD so the last 119GB-120GB can't be used at all.

1721118886886.png

1721120606552.png

Last edited:
How do you find what the actual transfer rate is on the Hopper 3 as I thought it only showed signal strength?

To show the download transfer rate on the Hopper3 do the following:

1) Hit the home key 3 times to get Diagnostics page.
2) Select Status from the left menu.
3) Select Send Status button on right.
4) Select Test Connections.

You will get a Phone Test and the Download Speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dweber - Thanks but if one has a Hopper Plus with the Hopper 3, #1 needs to be changed to 1) Hit the home key one time and then choose cogwheel (settings), then selecting DISH Settings and then choose diagnostics as hitting home three times will still land you on the same Home screen as when you hit Home once when a Hopper Plus is involved.

But in any case, I am still getting over 100Mbps down and I am on a 1.44Gbps connection. A lot of times, the connection performance is not just the connection speed alone but the design of the providers network, their peering and upstream connectivity.

1721150475734.png

How do you find what the actual transfer rate is on the Hopper 3 as I thought it only showed signal strength? The only way I can show what speed it is by using a Speed Test Android App on the Hopper Plus which uses the Hopper 3's internet connection which shows 127.71Mbps down/43.25Mbps up as seen below.

Just forced update to Hopper 3 with H378 from H376 with a Hopper Plus P12902 and didn't see what happened before the following screen is new, atleast it now shows the upgrade progress on a Hopper 3/Hopper Plus combo instead of in H376 when updating from H375 where instead of seeing the updating progress, there is no video at all and eventually, there is no video other than a black screen as if the TV was off. The Guide is available and hitting option on TV Activity will show I think 6 tuners in use, 1 and 6 says Available and 2-5 that says Software Updating but after idling, the video will be black again as if the TV was off. After some time, it will reboot and in the Diagnostics screen, Available Joey Software will only show the J and W versions and no longer the P versions needed for the Hopper Plus which is the same even if I manually rebooted again. When I goto Tools -> Technician Settings -> Download ATV files, it will show a box:
Download ATV Files 3000
This device is not currently targeted for
Android software
[OK]
Using the Hopper Plus to update would also show Target failed.

In H376, the nightly reboot is what fixed the Hopper Plus software showing up as a Reset Hopper did not.

Also, think this is new in H378, atleast I don't remember seeing this in H376... In the Hopper 3 Diagnostics screen under Tools, there is now a "Reset Hopper Plus" in addition to the "Reset Hopper". H378 still has the issue where 119GB-120GB free is considered 100% full on the HDD so the last 119GB-120GB can't be used at all.

View attachment 172755

View attachment 172758
getting something from demand is only way I know it will show the download speed on "info" screen, Pretty sure it can be done on h3 it self but i cant be bother to check atm, i have other thing to deal with.

and only reason I noticed it was that slow was cause I randomly got something from on demand which i rarely do and it was pretty much 5mbps at best most it was much slow, and I started watching alot Electric Now channel which streaming and it would constantly freeze up and go from decent picture to sh!tty picture to a really good one

That Download speed is what h3 would normaly spike too when it wasnt like this,

Will find out later tonight when I watching the streaming channel if still happen

I've never seen the send data screen ever show same speeds as other devices. Even hardwired on a 3ft ethernet. It usually only shows about 10-20% of what your isp provides.
Nor have I have I have 1gbps speeds and h3 will be 100mbps at best, and almost never consistent when I get an on demand title and work it usual 40-100 and all over place while downloading

Josh.M and brittanygarden - Just wanted to report as a update to the earlier post for H378 - I hope H378 cures my audio dropouts.
That despite the nightly reboots, the Available Joey Software is not showing the Hopper Plus software on the Diagnostics screen and ofcourse the Software Update on the Hopper Plus menu reports Failed, no target so there is no way to know what the current software version is for the Hopper Plus software and/or even update it as that is completely broken in H378... H376 had the problem but the nightly reboot fixed it. I already tried power cord pull and red button reset as well as two nightly update reboots.

I've never seen the send data screen ever show same speeds as other devices. Even hardwired on a 3ft ethernet. It usually only shows about 10-20% of what your isp provides.
Maybe the reason for that is that in reality, no one needs anything over 25Mbps even when streaming so they only set the hardware to what will work instead of pushing performance to the maximum. Wired connections for even 1000Mbps ethernet will have a maximum 940Mbps speed due to the overhead.

getting something from demand is only way I know it will show the download speed on "info" screen, Pretty sure it can be done on h3 it self but i cant be bother to check atm, i have other thing to deal with.

and only reason I noticed it was that slow was cause I randomly got something from on demand which i rarely do and it was pretty much 5mbps at best most it was much slow, and I started watching alot Electric Now channel which streaming and it would constantly freeze up and go from decent picture to sh!tty picture to a really good one

That Download speed is what h3 would normaly spike too when it wasnt like this,

Will find out later tonight when I watching the streaming channel if still happen
That probably explains why I have never seen it because I don't use on demand even when I had cable for years 2009 and earlier. I guess the speeds in my speed tests is the peak rate and not the normal rate.

I got 172.583 Mbps. Is this on the low or high side?
Well, it is high as you will never need that much speed for streaming. Maybe they throttle it on purpose so that if someone streams something, it will allow more customers to stream at the same time so that 100Mbps can be shared with 2 x 40Mbps each versus one using up the entire 100Mbps.

Local station broadcast issue Wed. 7/17 continuing?

Can't delete VOD movies on my Dish Network Hopper 3