I give up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dunnsept

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Central Meechigan
with my big dish on AMC9/Ku. spent more time last night trying for AMC9 (I guess this is more of a rant post more than anything)

I went outside, pushed the dish up, down.. went back inside, wifey said Q dropped to 0 each time, but even on the strongest TPs, I get Q of about 45% avg. but no love on any of the TPs I want

so, time to give up and start looking for a solid dish. I've been asking around and watching yards as I drive by.. haven't seen anything un-used (and solid) anywhere. time to bite the bullet and purchase a dish..
</rant>
off to gold sponsors' sites to check prices.. wonder what I'll have to get SWMBO in exchange :what

that's what I'm going to do. I just have to figure out what sewing/quilting thing I have to get for my wife to balance the cost of a new dish.
and of course then I have to fight with myself through that whole "up-sizing" thing.. well, if a 31" is OK, and a 36" is better, then a 120cm has to be much better (but the shipping stinks)

actually I'm looking at a 36" from sat av.. seems a good balance between price & shipping

actually I'm looking at a 36" from sat av.. seems a good balance between price & shipping

The 36" is a good compromise between size and shipping. I get RTN fine with my 36" in SF Bay Area.

Check Bryan's eBay deal against the shipping on SatelliteAV directly. Since you're in Michigan the eBay deal's shipping might be better. For my location his website's calculated shipping is cheaper by a few bucks.

that's what I'm going to do. I just have to figure out what sewing/quilting thing I have to get for my wife to balance the cost of a new dish.
and of course then I have to fight with myself through that whole "up-sizing" thing.. well, if a 31" is OK, and a 36" is better, then a 120cm has to be much better (but the shipping stinks)

I dunno where you are in Michigan, but Patriot antenna is located in Albion Michigan. If I was within 150 miles or so I would contact them and travel to their factory and pick up one of their 110cm dishes...people really like them.

ya know.. I've looked at that patriot site before but never at their location. About 2 hours due south.
I'll check with them Monday to see what their pricing is.. maybe I can get a factory tour or something then I'll report back ;-) (maybe I'll get a dish for testing/review ;-)

ya know.. I've looked at that patriot site before but never at their location. About 2 hours due south.
I'll check with them Monday to see what their pricing is.. maybe I can get a factory tour or something then I'll report back ;-) (maybe I'll get a dish for testing/review ;-)

You can also pick up a 3.1 meter prime focus with kingpost polar mount while you're down there...you'll love it...:D

If you do get to go make sure you don't forget the camera...pictures pictures pictures....

yea.. sure.. you know what that would cost me? you know how much a big quilting machine costs ;-)

I'll check with them monday and see what they say about a 'tour' and pics. looking at their site, people like me would be really small potatoes.. but ya never know

Just got off the phone with sales at Patriot.. Should have a price-list soon.

One thing I can say already, their installation manuals seem to be clearly written, in GOOD ENGLISH! amazing!

anybody around the central mich area who wants a dish too, maybe we can do a "group" purchase (if the prices are reasonable)

with my big dish on AMC9/Ku. spent more time last night trying for AMC9 (I guess this is more of a rant post more than anything)

I went outside, pushed the dish up, down.. went back inside, wifey said Q dropped to 0 each time, but even on the strongest TPs, I get Q of about 45% avg. but no love on any of the TPs I want

It's possible that BUD just isn't efficient enough to tune AMC9. But first, before you give up. Did you try tweaking the skew while on the data TPs? Do you use a motorized polarizer type LNB or LNBF?

If the data TPs are only 45Q, then RTN is going to be too low. I noticed Friday that the level had increased yet again here. I'm averaging around 70sQ now, up from the 50sQ.

It's possible that BUD just isn't efficient enough to tune AMC9. But first, before you give up. Did you try tweaking the skew while on the data TPs? Do you use a motorized polarizer type LNB or LNBF?

If the data TPs are only 45Q, then RTN is going to be too low. I noticed Friday that the level had increased yet again here. I'm averaging around 70sQ now, up from the 50sQ.

yep.. I tried everything I could think of. skew, bumping the dish both directions, pushing up/down on the dish. nothing.

I watched g10 yesterday for the race and had a great pic.. so the dish does OK on other birds, just not on amc9 for some reason

yep.. I tried everything I could think of. skew, bumping the dish both directions, pushing up/down on the dish. nothing.

Did you try moving the LNB closer/farther away from the dish? Same with the scalar? Have you measured the distance from the LNB to the left side of the dish and then compared that with the measurement to the right side to see if it is positioned properly? (also top and bottom) Does it look like it is pointing properly (squarely to the centre) to the dish surface?

so the dish does OK on other birds, just not on amc9 for some reason
The other night I was able to finally pull it in on my BUD, Q51 - played well.
The weather was perfectly clear and still, no chance with the slightest breeze.
Q49 is no Pic and choppy sound.
I put an 80cm on it, no problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVB-S or DVB-S2, SDTV or HDTV receiver which type to choose?

Ku Band Program Packages

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)