HWS Moca Question

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Here we go again. New hws shows 4 green moca bars for a few mins then 4 greyed moca bars for a few mins. This is at the hopper, it's back and forth between the 2. Hard reset makes no difference.

Bad hopper? Can't think of anything else it could be.

1 hws and 1 joey. I thought the hopper generated and distributed the moca to the hvn. What I'm looking at is at the hopper location. The joey drops as soon as the hopper moca bars are greyed out.

Did the Tech install the Hopper, or was it a self install?

If it was a self install, you can't connect the Hopper to the Node if the Joey is connected to the Node via coax, and the Joey also needs to be unplugged also.

Try unplugging your entire system, Remove the coax from the back of the Joey.

Then Power up only the Hopper.
Once the Hopper is fully powered up, also make sure moca bridging is Enabled.
Then go to the Joey, install the coax and power it back up.
If that doesn't work you either have a bad node, or Bad TAP if you have one, or possibly a bad wire.

I'm assuming you have a Solo node?
If you had a Duo Node, you could try the other HOST port.

Hope you all are right, the node would be easy enough to change out. I'll do that 1st when I get back over there.

Not ruling out cable. However I prewired this myself when house was under construction with solid copper 3 GHz cable. It worked fine for 2 yrs with vip equipment and as of recent worked with the genie/client system. So for 4 yrs there were no issues until the hopper.

Assuming the moca originates at the hopper and is going back and forth between green and grey when no devices are detected. That is what makes me believe it's the hopper. Hope I'm wrong and you all are right, will let you know what corrected it.

Hope you all are right, the node would be easy enough to change out. I'll do that 1st when I get back over there.

Not ruling out cable. However I prewired this myself when house was under construction with solid copper 3 GHz cable. It worked fine for 2 yrs with vip equipment and as of recent worked with the genie/client system. So for 4 yrs there were no issues until the hopper.

Assuming the moca originates at the hopper and is going back and forth between green and grey when no devices are detected. That is what makes me believe it's the hopper. Hope I'm wrong and you all are right, will let you know what corrected it.
Don't discount the Hopper . It very well could be that as well.

Well after replacing the hopper, joey & node with the same issue I was left scratching my head and on my own to figure this out.

It turns out the individual cable runs back to the home run location were too long, node is here also. Imo this is a ridiculous flaw for this type of system. This house is big but no where near what I would call extreme.

Luckily I was able to access the wiring from the crawl space. I cut a tap inline basically right underneath the hopper location in the crawl space. I ran a line from the tap & tied it into the line right below the joey location in the crawl space.

The joey now works, the distance was cut to less than half. So much for pre-wiring a house and planning on using it. :coco

Less Than 2 Days of Program Listings

Tracvision L3 locking to 119/110

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)