HR34, OTA and multiple receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

washking

Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Michigan
Hi all, hope you can help me with this. I currently have DISH but am considering DTV now. I have locals coming from OTA into vip622 which easily puts everything into the guide and has worked great for viewing and recording. With the DTV and an HR34 I would need an AM21 correct? Direct is not yet in my market for HD locals, though "coming soon". I'd also want to be able to watch and record these locals on a second receiver, is this possible? Are the program names in the guide on both receivers? I tried calling Direct and had a funny run around with two different people letting me know that it's impossible to receive HD from an antenna, and that my locals aren't broadcasting in HD. After I picked myself up off the floor in laughter, I thought I try the knowledgable folks here:) Thanks!

The 21 would be required with the 34 if you're wanting HD locals and they currently unavailable with Directv. As for recording them, you still can as long as the 21 is hooked up. You can record the locals from the 21 directly on the 34. For separate viewing you could go several ways

1) get a second receiver and get whole home (MRV, MoCA) if you get thee 2nd receiver you can get an HD and this will allow you to view recorded content on the 34 but will only have the DVR capability (fast forward, rewind, pause etc. live tv)

2) get an HDDVR (recommended) this will still allow you to access recorded shows on the 34. It will also give you an extra hard drive for saving content that can be played between the 34 and HDDVR and gives you the DVR capability in the 2nd room.

3) get a C31 which will use a tuner off the 34 and give you the DVR functions in the 2nd room as well as being able to view the recorded content on the 34.

4) if you have a Samsung smart tv (certain model #) you can tie it to the 34 and use it the same way as the #3 method

Hope this helps! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

longtime lurker

Recording marathons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)