Hr 21 pro

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnny58259

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Does anyone have the hd dvr hr 21 pro dvr just wondering if it's worth the money. It's the home theater version and you own this dvr. Also has the software been upgraded to do 1080 p like the rest of the hd Dvrs and receivers and also dies it have the new hd guide. Thanks for any help.

I know of one member here who has or had one. I can pm the info so you can get in contact with them if necessary.I had the hr21 and it was the worse dvr I ever had. IMO its not worth it and you would be better off with an hr24 and future models. But that's my opinion. If you don't mind me asking What specific reason do you have for wanting to own a dvr?

Cause if you own it and don't need it for a few months u can cut it off untill a series comes on that u want to record. If u lease it they want it back

Also I'm inquiring on the hr 21 pro not the regular hr 21
I realize that but they're pretty much the same as far as performance goes. I'm going to send you a pm with info on a member who can tell you more specifically on the hr21pro. :)

Cause if you own it and don't need it for a few months u can cut it off untill a series comes on that u want to record. If u lease it they want it back

You can't lease an HR21 Pro. It's only available for purchase.

raoul5788 said:
You can't lease an HR21 Pro. It's only available for purchase.

I think that's why he's wanting the pro since its just an owned receiver he don't have to worry.

To the OP, your best bet is to lease an HDDVR. The pro was the "elite" receiver but since then they've used different processors and chips making the newer ones a little faster and are capable of doing 1080p. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can use 1080p with the pro BUT I could be wrong but from what I remember is still a no go

Rereading his posts, I think you are right Hutch.

But other than the processor might not be quite as fast then this should be a pretty reliable receiver plus I believe it has the new hd guide also

i have had mine for 3 years with no problems. it does have the hd guide. and it isn't as fast as the hr 24 but still a nice, solid hd dvr!

The HR21 pro is basically an HR21 in a metal case with exhaust fans and a 500GB hard drive instead of 320GB.

It is 3+ years old at this point and I would not recommend it unless you want specifically an owned DVR and get a good deal on a used one ($150 range).

For nearly all situations, I would recommend getting an HR24 instead, it is more stable, faster, and built well. You can get it for $175-$200 but it is leased. Unless you plan to leave Directv anytime soon, why would you care if it is leased vs. owned.

There are times when I don't need dvr and if I don't need it and turn it off for a few months directv will want it back. If its owned then it will be in the closet when I need it.

You would have that option with an owned receiver.

Guess I'd just throw out that it's $32/yr savings if you only use DVR 8 months (assuming you turn off for the summer season).

Question. If you own the DVR (of any kind) and have the service suspended/shutoff does the DVR still work? Leased I know they don't.

well, i've actually been able to still play all the content off of a dvr after deactivating it including the HR21 i had that was returned to D*. still have an hr20 thats been deactivated for awhile which i still watch some old recordings. i'm sure you guys are right but hasn't happened to me yet.

The HR21 pro is basically an HR21 in a metal case with exhaust fans and a 500GB hard drive instead of 320GB.

It is 3+ years old at this point and I would not recommend it unless you want specifically an owned DVR and get a good deal on a used one ($150 range).

For nearly all situations, I would recommend getting an HR24 instead, it is more stable, faster, and built well. You can get it for $175-$200 but it is leased. Unless you plan to leave Directv anytime soon, why would you care if it is leased vs. owned.

it also has the gold plated inputs which do improve the picture quality and audio quality.

Rey said:
well, i've actually been able to still play all the content off of a dvr after deactivating it including the HR21 i had that was returned to D*. still have an hr20 thats been deactivated for awhile which i still watch some old recordings. i'm sure you guys are right but hasn't happened to me yet.

I've heard them working before too but they're suppose to to stop within 24 hours of being deactivated. Btw, congrats on the trophy ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)