HR-20 and phone line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gsxrscott

Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
OK,

I'm getting ready to upgrade the HTL-HD with the HR-20. I was holding out for the new birds to go up. Since we use Vonage for our phone system, we do not have the Direct receivers hooked up to the line. It doesn't work. Do I need to have a phone line to get software updates and guide updates or is the line just for the PPV billing? When is Direct going to smarten up and make everything work over the INternet?

Thanks!

With the HR20, you do not need a phone line for updates. You can order PPV from the Directv web site.

Many people have reported that the HR20 and other models work with Vonage, however.

I use Vonage with my HR20 and it receives software upgrades without any problems, and the caller ID on-screen also works very well.

There's a reason that they have not enabled the internet connection to be used for PPV ordering. Simply put, there is no way to back trace an IP address to a physical address. They use phone lines because those can be back traced to a physical address, therefore someone can't "hack" your IP address and sign you up for PPV's that you didn't order.

I'm glad to hear that the phone line is not needed for updates, just PPV. I don't care about PPV, we never watch ant PPV in my house. There isn't even a phone line in the room with the receiver right now.

I'm a very happy camper right now!

Thanks for the info!

I use Vonage with my HR20 and it receives software upgrades without any problems, and the caller ID on-screen also works very well.

The HR20 does not require a phone line to receive updates as do most newer rec's. All updates are being done thru the datastream.

Jimbo

They use phone lines because those can be back traced to a physical address, therefore someone can't "hack" your IP address and sign you up for PPV's that you didn't order.

And obviously you must not have heard of something called VOIP phone service that CAN be taken ANYWHERE there is broadband... :rolleyes: :p

Do I need a phone line at ALL if I am having an HR20 installed?
I thought you had to have one for the initial setup, as was the case with the HR10-250.

The only thing the phone line seem to be good for is the called ID notification, which is nice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hr20-?

We'll See What Happens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)