How to repair antenna wire

My kitty passed away. I was cleaning and when I moved the antenna, I lost reception and that was after I found out she chewed the wire to the lift chair. What size tubes? Please stick around cause I will have another question. Snake? My cats always liked snakes. They would catch the little ones and try to bring them in the house cause they wiggle.
If I get the shrink tubing will I need a heat gun too?

If you have extra cable you can pull through then cut out the bad section, splice like wire colors to like colors. As mentioned by another member solder and heat shrink tubing are best but you can use electrical tape if done properly.

If you have no slack in the cable then you will need to buy some then do the repair mentioned above.

The main thing is to find a way to keep the cat away from it or you will be doing it all over again. :(
Do I need a heat gun to use the shrink tubing?

A Hair dryer will work for a heat gun in a pinch.
I'm not familiar with any of this. I thought of it later. Shrink ? hmm .. I need everyone to be as detailed as possible. I know they have mini heat guns. I have a couple of the large heat guns (for stripping paint, etc) but not one of those mini ones . Thinking it would be too hot. Thank you (black tape sounds easiest)..

Doesn't really need to be over engineered. Heat shrinkable tubing comes in all sizes and flavors.
It starts out rather big so you can slip it over your splice. When you heat it, it shrinks quite a bit.
A Bic, butane torch. That'll do. Your local hardware store will have assortments.
There is even glue lined heat shrink. So when you heat it and shrink it. Hot glue oozes out. Makes even a stronger splice. Not 100% necessary.

If you don't have a soldering iron and solder (not acid core plumbers solder....rosin core) then the Western Union splice will be the strongest. When the heat shrink is.....shrunk. It will further reinforce the splice.

Stagger splice is the way to go. Just make sure you have enough exposed insulated wire to cut and slip a piece of shrink over it before. Kind of a no-brainer. Try to just nick the insulation when you strip it so you don't cut any inner strands. If you do. Just a few strands. No worries. For low voltages, the 2.5" minimum spacing can be decreased quite a bit.

Try to make the splices no bigger than the insulation. And neat. It ain't that hard. Get the cable up off of the floor in a comfortable space. Since flame will be used. Maybe put the liquor away for a bit. A bit of levity.

And yeah. Red goes to red, black to black, green to.....you get it.
1724853672203.jpeg
1724853605322.jpeg

Reactions: Starr and FTA4PA
Yes, I have a butane torch too. I do have a soldering iron but decided to order a new one since they are so inexpensive. (That and I won't have to search for it) I will make sure I have the resin solder. The one I ordered said it was good for electrical repairs. Thank you for that and all the tips and detailed explanation. I may try it myself. Hardware store sold me connections for repairing coaxial even tho I told them it was round antenna wire. Appreciate your time and all your help!

Added

Kit I ordered includes no-clean solder rosin flux paste, which is a type of resin solder. The paste helps improve electrical contact and mechanical strength when soldering. Will that work? Thanks?

Yes, I have a butane torch too. I do have a soldering iron but decided to order a new one since they are so inexpensive. (That and I won't have to search for it) I will make sure I have the resin solder. The one I ordered said it was good for electrical repairs. Thank you for that and all the tips and detailed explanation. I may try it myself. Hardware store sold me connections for repairing coaxial even tho I told them it was round antenna wire. Appreciate your time and all your help!

Added

Kit I ordered includes no-clean solder rosin flux paste, which is a type of resin solder. The paste helps improve electrical contact and mechanical strength when soldering. Will that work? Thanks?
Added

When my relative repaired the cord on the lift chair, he just used black tape. Should he have soldered it too? Thanks..

Doesn't really need to be over engineered. Heat shrinkable tubing comes in all sizes and flavors.
It starts out rather big so you can slip it over your splice. When you heat it, it shrinks quite a bit.
A Bic, butane torch. That'll do. Your local hardware store will have assortments.
There is even glue lined heat shrink. So when you heat it and shrink it. Hot glue oozes out. Makes even a stronger splice. Not 100% necessary.

If you don't have a soldering iron and solder (not acid core plumbers solder....rosin core) then the Western Union splice will be the strongest. When the heat shrink is.....shrunk. It will further reinforce the splice.

Stagger splice is the way to go. Just make sure you have enough exposed insulated wire to cut and slip a piece of shrink over it before. Kind of a no-brainer. Try to just nick the insulation when you strip it so you don't cut any inner strands. If you do. Just a few strands. No worries. For low voltages, the 2.5" minimum spacing can be decreased quite a bit.

Try to make the splices no bigger than the insulation. And neat. It ain't that hard. Get the cable up off of the floor in a comfortable space. Since flame will be used. Maybe put the liquor away for a bit. A bit of levity.

And yeah. Red goes to red, black to black, green to.....you get it.
View attachment 174007View attachment 174006

Further research does state solder is best but its not for the novice. It could be too hot, too cold or dry. Isn't there a fairy tale similar? Black tape would work best for me.

Maybe to YOU! They tend to be a single person “attachment.” STILL- not to be trusted! ;)

For the size of extension cord wiring, there are options beyond soldering. But- might not be so good for outside.

Youse pays youse money, and youse takes youse chances.
Maybe to YOU! True :D

Ewww. The scourge of mankind. Use the right crimpers. Hah. Probably too late.
Actually, mine are the insulated butt splice which were bought for a cord repair. NO, I haven't had time to work on it let alone watch any tv. Too busy. I did copy all the advice. I can watch local news online. If I end up doing it, will prob use black tape. It will be a while before I have time. Thanks ..

Modify scan_tuner.pl to limit scans