How do I tune in PBS stations on AMC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I too only was after RTN on G10 when I started out 1 year ago this week. I then learned about strapping an lnb to get IA7. THEN, I wanted IA5, strapped an lnb next to that and got AMC4. So I had 2 dishes, and I loved what I was getting. THEN came the motor...THEN......

I finally got PBS but......

I have tried every day since I received some more pointer from the group and still no PBS. Yesterday morinig I was playing around witih the receiver and tried the only scanning I hadn't tried before , SMATV. I scanned anything @ 30,000 mms which should have been PBS and got all of the PBS channels I was looking for but I have no sound. I did a google search to find out what SMATV was to no avail, I received so many different explanations that I am more confused now than before. Will I ever get sound using SMATV, the picture is great. I fooled with the dish and can not get better than 46 quality on AMC 3 on the pbs transponder. I am in memphis ,TN so I do't know if this is the best I am going to get for PBS on AMC 3.

HELP

To get the sound, you must have a receiver with an SPDIF output for AC3 (most DVB receivers will not decode the AC3 sound, some will pass it through to a decoding device, others won't even do that). And then you will need some kind of decoder to decode the AC3, so you can hear the sound. I use a Home Theater system to decode it with my set-up. There are other ways, but you have to have something that will decode the AC3 sound.
There is one DVB Receiver I have heard of that will decode the AC3 sound. It's the Coolsat 8000, it will decode the sound and pass it through the regular audio jacks. So you can then hear the sound on any TV or Audio Receiver.

Al

How do I find out if my receiver will pass through AC3. I can get a home theater receiver if necessary. Below are my specifications.

at the very least you need an optical or coax output of the digital audio from the receiver, and a matching input on your home theatre.

Will Radio Shack have this kind of stuff. What specifically do I need to buy? If not Radio Shack then where do I go?

You can find a BoomBox with an SPDIF input. I'm sure Radio Shack will have something with an SPDIF input. The question is (at least the 1st question), does your Samsung receiver have an SPDIF output? If it doesn't have the coaxual or optical (SPDIF) output, you won't get the AC3 audio, Period!

Al

I sufred the internet to get the specs on my receivrer and with all the information I have found it doesen't seem to indicated that I have Spdif capabilities. I will have to but a new receiver. Any possible suggestions, hopefully some cheap ones as I am going to be stuck with a four month old Samsung 4700.

I can't help with cheap solutions for this problem, maybe someone else can? There are a lot of receivers that will pass the AC3 along. Personally, I will recommend the Pansat 3500 or the Coolsat 5000, both are excellent receivers and both companies have other models that are less expensive as these two. I'm sure others will recommend some other good manufacturers, there are plenty out there. Good Luck on your choice!

Al

I sufred the internet to get the specs on my receivrer and with all the information I have found it doesen't seem to indicated that I have Spdif capabilities. I will have to but a new receiver. Any possible suggestions, hopefully some cheap ones as I am going to be stuck with a four month old Samsung 4700.

Look for optical digital or coaxial digital in the specs for your receiver. I don't think the stereo manufacturers call it SPDIF or whatever y'all called it. I always was told its optical digital or coaxial digital. :eureka

-sigh-

Samsung 4700 review on SatGuys.
SMATV option explained in the review.

Backpanel picture doesn't look like it's got optical nor coax AC3 audio out.
The PDF doesn't say it's got encoded dolby output.
That connector above the Svideo jack is a switched voltage.

In addition to a satellite receiver that will pass AC-3 (Dolby Digital) from a digital (optical or coaxial) output, you will need a home theater system (audio receiver, amp, or preamp) that decodes Dolby Digital and has the same type of digital interface (optical or coaxial) as your satellite receiver.

I just got off the phone with the company who sold me the system I'm currently using and they had no clue what S/PDIF or optical/coaxial digital interface were, but they listed it as one of the unit's features. They said they would do a little research and get back to me tomorrow. From what I have gathered the only way I can listed to PBS is to have S/PDIF or an optical/coaxial digital interface on the rear of my unit. If I am incorrect please let me know. I would hate to tear these guys a new one if I am incorrect.

If your rec doesnt have the output jack on the back, then it is not one that will pass the ac3 sound out. The S/PDIF looks little bit like a usb port, smaller, the 'coaxial' I believe looks like a reg coax jack. If it doesnt have either, then you will have to find another receiver that does. Read all the specs carefully if you shop for one.

I listed a link to the PDF manual, above.
Give it a read.
Also, since you have the unit, give it a look.
If there's no rear (RCA jack) connector marked "coaxial audio" nor a little black optical jack, then ya don't have one :rolleyes:

On the other hand, it's not uncommon for sellers to make a mistake.
Such features as AC3 are quite common, so it's easy to assume.
I wouldn't ream them a new one. :cool:

A bunch of us got FTA receivers a few months ago from a very knowledgable vendor.
They were supposed to have blind scan.
They didn't.
Other sellers listed blind scan in their advertizing for the same receiver, too.
Crap happens. :)

I will heed the advise of the "wise ones" and give these guys a break as long as they work with me and make this right. I did do a little more surfing and found out what the S/PDIF and the coax connector should look like and I definitely don't have them. I guess I'll just look at PBS until I can get all of this straightened out.

Thanks you all for your help

I have a ViewSat Ultra and got the Sonic Voom head set on Ebay for 18.00 bucks shipped to me. Hooked it all up and I get great sound on everything but PBS. Any one have this issue with the VS Ultra? It has ver 1.22 software so I should be good with that.

I know you guys said mistakes do happen but I am getting the shaft. I spoke to the company who sold me my system and they said because I had the receiver longer than a week I could only get a reduced price on a new unit if I returned my old unit and they couldn't even tell me how much of a credit I would receive toward the purchase of a new one. I have a copy of their advertisment claiming my unit could support S/PDIF and they still won't budge. This FTA experience has been a rocky one. All I wanted was PBS.

I can ASSURE you there is no AC-3 output. I had one of these units (heck I did the review) and what I posted in the review was wrong. I thought that coax above the s-video was for AC-3 but it was for a 0/12v switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Master feed receiver

Is It worth the hastle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts