How can I get them to expand to my home?

sfarugger

Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I live about 1000-1500 meters from the point where we have confirmed that Time Warner service is at. We have NO access to any high speed internet and am currently desperately hoping Time Warner will do a planned extension to hit our home.

We currently live in Pearland, Texas 77581

Is there anything we can do to help this happen. We have been trying for 3 years to get any type of service like this with no outcome.

Any feedback or help is appreciated. We are calling and e-mailing everyday. What more can we do here?

I've tried this approach, I can't get past the gatekeeper. I've been told they were not available and been asked if there was anything that specific CS rep could help me with.

When I explained my desperation to them, they've only done what they could to get off the phone. This meaning that they will only state that the only thing they can do is a site survey, but I cannot explain to them I am willing to help with whatever out of pocket expenses will be needed, that I do not need to service to start untill march 2007, which gives them enough time to run wiring and get everything done, all these small things that the CS guy doesn't care of but to just close out the ticket.

You'll have to check with your local cable franchise authority (County, City, Township, etc.) to see how to address this issue. Assuming that you in the same franchise area that is serviced by the Time-Warner service 1000+ meters from your property, most cable frachises require that an area have a minimum number of homes in order to be elligible for cable service. Additionally, even if your area does not meet this requirement most cable franchise agreements contain a provision whereby you and others in your area can get cable service by reimbursing the cable company for trenching/installation costs. Of course, please be advised that this can often costs each customer thousands of dollars.

I'm not sure who you have been contacting, but get on the phone with your local cable franchise authority and ask to see the cable TV franchise agreements with providers in your area. However, if you're outside the city limits then you are probably out-of-luck. Last year Texas passed statewide cable franchise reform laws which may either ease or complicate your question.

Anyway, my local franchise lists POCs and all franchise agreements on their public facing website:

http://www.spotsylvania.va.us/departments/infoserv/cablecom/
Comcast Franchise
Cox Franchise
Verizon FiOS Franchise

I don't know much about the City of Pearland TX, but according to Article 9 of the City Ordinance they are authorized to grant a cable TV franchise:

ARTICLE 9. FRANCHISES AND PUBLIC UTILITIES

Section 9.01. Powers of the city.
In addition to the city's powers to buy, construct, lease, maintain, operate, and regulate public utilities and to manufacture, distribute, and sell the output of such utility operations, the city shall have such further powers as may now or thereafter be granted under the constitution and laws of the State of Texas.

Section 9.02. Power to grant franchise.
The council shall have the power, by ordinance, to grant, renew, extend and amend all franchises of all public utilities, including cable television or community antenna television systems, of every character operating within the city. No franchise shall be for an indeterminate period, and no franchise shall be granted for a term of more than fifty (50) years from the date of the grant, renewal or extension.

You'll have to check with your local cable franchise authority (County, City, Township, etc.) to see how to address this issue.

- Where can I find this information?

Anyway, my local franchise lists POCs and all franchise agreements on their public facing website:

- What does POC stand for? Is there a website where I can pull up my local franchise information?

Look on your cable bill for the franchise authority information.

Just curious, how much $$$ are willing to fork out to get them to provide service ??

Look on your cable bill for the franchise authority information.

He is trying to get cable service, so he doesn't have a bill to look at!

I'd contact my local county government and see if they can help you. Where I live the county administrator's office serves as the franchise office for the two operators in the county. For complaints or questions their website says to contact the county attorney.

CDH.

Last edited:
I would recomend driving to the office and asking to speak to a construction supervisor. Those are the people (at bhn formerly TWC) Who handle the new builds. Or if you cant get ahold of one of them a "Maintaince Supervisor" and just speak to him explain the situation maybe even bring drawn map with some footage, and see if he can send one of his techs out to look at it and get with you.

1000-1500 meters (forgive my conservsion but is what 2-3k ft? give or take) for that distance they will need to most likely tie in a new amp, which could affect the entire system, so it may not be as simple as just throwing down some cable.

They would probley only ask you to pay for the cable install, which could run you a pretty penny Hopefully they can find somewhere to intersect it a bit closer.. Depending on how many amps they have setup in cascade and at what point they can split the signal to feed you it may or may not be costly for you.. Hopefully they have a Dual near by that has an extra port to send to ya...

At&T Uverse Indianapolis channel directory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)