Hopper 3 Software H376

Since this H3 H376 and Plus P12902 updates, my Hopper 3 Plus started having the black screen issue when changing from watching an app and going back to live TV. Also, happening upon TV/H+ startup. All my Joey 4s still have same issue. Josh.M, this black screen issue has been going on for a long time now. Is Dish and/or Google still working on this issue? Thanks

• Sad
Reactions: Almighty1
Since this H3 H376 and Plus P12902 updates, my Hopper 3 Plus started having the black screen issue when changing from watching an app and going back to live TV. Also, happening upon TV/H+ startup. All my Joey 4s still have same issue. Josh.M, this black screen issue has been going on for a long time now. Is Dish and/or Google still working on this issue? Thanks
Not having that problem with Hopper H3 on H376 and Hopper Plus on P12902, using YouTube, does it happen for you with YouTube as well? The only way I can get the black screen killing both audio and video until restarting is if I did Home -> Settings -> Device Preferences -> Developer options -> USB debugging and then click on it and then answered OK to USB debugging, this apparently kills all audio and video until I restart the Hopper Plus with Home -> Settings -> Device Preferences -> Restart.
Josh.M and brittanygarden

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not having that problem with Hopper H3 on H376 and Hopper Plus on P12902, using YouTube, does it happen for you with YouTube as well? The only way I can get the black screen killing both audio and video until restarting is if I did Home -> Settings -> Device Preferences -> Developer options -> USB debugging and then click on it and then answered OK to USB debugging, this apparently kills all audio and video until I restart the Hopper Plus with Home -> Settings -> Device Preferences -> Restart.
We don't ever use YouTube on TV. I don't understand why you are doing the USB debugging thing. When ever I have the black screen issue, I just use the channel up or down button and that gets rid of the black screen. I don't ever need to reboot the Hopper.

We don't ever use YouTube on TV. I don't understand why you are doing the USB debugging thing. When ever I have the black screen issue, I just use the channel up or down button and that gets rid of the black screen. I don't ever need to reboot the Hopper.
It was so I can install apps by sideloading them or transfer files to the Hopper Plus. Someone said the USB Debugging is disabled on the Hopper Plus as there is no way to toggle it on. Yes, I think that's because you change the channel while the debugging feature seems to disable the live video, haven't tried to see if recordings or apps work or not. USB Debugging is required to use ADB:

What I ended up doing was download a File explorer on the Hopper Plus and then ftp the files to it and installed from the Downloads folder for any apps not in the app store. Still trying to decide on what browser works well with the Hopper Plus. I know the Ring app does not work as the keyboard from the Plus is not showing completely on the screen when there is the login screen.

Last edited:
It was so I can install apps by sideloading them or transfer files to the Hopper Plus. Someone said the USB Debugging is disabled on the Hopper Plus as there is no way to toggle it on. Yes, I think that's because you change the channel while the debugging feature seems to disable the live video, haven't tried to see if recordings or apps work or not. USB Debugging is required to use ADB:

What I ended up doing was download a File explorer on the Hopper Plus and then ftp the files to it and installed from the Downloads folder for any apps not in the app store. Still trying to decide on what browser works well with the Hopper Plus. I know the Ring app does not work as the keyboard from the Plus is not showing completely on the screen when there is the login screen.
Well, all this debugging stuff is above my level. I don't think I should do or need it at this time. I hope Josh.M gets back with us on what's going on with the black screen issue. Thanks Almighty1

Last edited:
Well, all this debugging stuff is above my level. I don't think I should do or need it at this time. I hope Josh.M gets back with us on what's going on with the black screen issue. Thanks Almighty1
Well, that was the easiest way as lots of Android apps are not available for Android TV. I don't have the black screen issue although I did in some older version that was in the H35x or H36x versions and I forgot how I fix it without rebooting... Let me take a quick look at my posting history as I know it was a few months ago. It's here with H365.

Well, that was the easiest way as lots of Android apps are not available for Android TV. I don't have the black screen issue although I did in some older version that was in the H35x or H36x versions and I forgot how I fix it without rebooting... Let me take a quick look at my posting history as I know it was a few months ago. It's here with H365.
It's all so strange. I never had black screen issue with my H+ until this last software update.

Reactions: SandFarmer
It's all so strange. I never had black screen issue with my H+ until this last software update.
Maybe it works similar to how Windows works where unless you clean install, it will have traces of the remains somewhere from previous versions that should be wiped before installing the software as sometimes some older versions can cause problems like I had with Intel graphics drivers that had the black screen issue due to a certain version was installed on the system before which was fixed after I completely uninstalled all the drivers and then installed the current version.

As for sideloading, Android by default has adb built into devices and when I looked at the sideloading instructions, Send to TV app requires a Android Mobile phone. I had a Android phone but it's been dead for 1.5 years so I am on a iPhone but the apk's I download for the apps are on the Windows 11 PC and I was trying to find a way to send the files to the Hopper Plus and adb didn't work because the USB Debugging has been disabled on the Hopper Plus according to reddit so the workaround is to add on of the file manager tools from Android Store on the Hopper Plus and use ftp to get the file there from the computer.

Anyone here have the Ring - Always Home by Ring.com app working on their Android DISH Device such as the Hopper Plus. On the Hopper Plus, it's not in Google Play Store so I had to sideload the Ring - Always Home 3.73.1 by Ring.com apk from apkmirror.com using the nodpi version.

With DISH Hopper 3 on software H376 and the Hopper Plus on P19202, this is what happens when trying to sign in except the keyboard is not showing up correctly on the screen and only a small portion of the left side is showing up:
1718825524947.png

Anyone here have the Ring - Always Home by Ring.com app working on their Android DISH Device such as the Hopper Plus. On the Hopper Plus, it's not in Google Play Store so I had to sideload the Ring - Always Home 3.73.1 by Ring.com apk from apkmirror.com using the nodpi version.

With DISH Hopper 3 on software H376 and the Hopper Plus on P19202, this is what happens when trying to sign in except the keyboard is not showing up correctly on the screen and only a small portion of the left side is showing up:
View attachment 172142

I may try that sometime with my Ring cameras setup.

Maybe it works similar to how Windows works where unless you clean install, it will have traces of the remains somewhere from previous versions that should be wiped before installing the software as sometimes some older versions can cause problems like I had with Intel graphics drivers that had the black screen issue due to a certain version was installed on the system before which was fixed after I completely uninstalled all the drivers and then installed the current version.

As for sideloading, Android by default has adb built into devices and when I looked at the sideloading instructions, Send to TV app requires a Android Mobile phone. I had a Android phone but it's been dead for 1.5 years so I am on a iPhone but the apk's I download for the apps are on the Windows 11 PC and I was trying to find a way to send the files to the Hopper Plus and adb didn't work because the USB Debugging has been disabled on the Hopper Plus according to reddit so the workaround is to add on of the file manager tools from Android Store on the Hopper Plus and use ftp to get the file there from the computer.
Have a new strange Hopper Plus problem. While watching an app, all remote controls paired to the Hopper Plus quit working. No keys on the remotes work. Have to do a Hopper reset to get everything working again. The random no notice H+ rebooting is still happening too. A Dish technician visit is coming in the morning. My commander is fuming! I'm in the dog house, again!!

Have a new strange Hopper Plus problem. While watching an app, all remote controls paired to the Hopper Plus quit working. No keys on the remotes work. Have to do a Hopper reset to get everything working again. The random no notice H+ rebooting is still happening too. A Dish technician visit is coming in the morning. My commander is fuming! I'm in the dog house, again!!
Almighty1, had a good Dish technician visit today. First thing he noticed was that I had an original Hopper Plus power adapter. The original Plus came out with an incorrect power adapter. The original power adapter has a red tip connector. The newer Plus power adapter has a gray tip. The red tip power adapter rating is 12V--2.1A. The gray tip rating is 12V--0.82A. Technician said the incorrect original red tip power adapters were known to have caused Hopper Plus issues. Anyway, he installed a new Hopper Plus with a gray tip power adapter. I will post in a day or two on how goes it. Hope I don’t have any more no notice Hopper Plus self-resets. Got to get my commander off my A--. I would suggest to anyone that are having Hopper Plus issues is to check your power adapter for the correct gray tip version. If it is red, call and have a Dish technician replace your Plus with the correct gray tip power adapter.

Last edited:
where is the "change log" I though they use to give that info?, Anyway the Fastfoward/rewinds UI is laggy where it was not before. Streaming channels much like Netflix APP do not output Dolby Digital VIA optical to AVR , I dont have HDMI avr to test Hdmi out of DD. Amazon App still randomly loose connection to servers after watching a show/movies, So i guess that amazon issue is still in triage seeing that is what dishrep told me when I was asking about a year + ago. talking about Amazon/Netflix via the h3 not hopper plus,

Still dont get why H3 "says" it lost Internet connection and there for wont show any video on any channel at random, this apply to Satellites channels, Moca link is fine during this time, too and no the H3 dont actual lose internet connection cause I can physical see h3 connected to router on status page sending and receiving, I think this just bad wording, maybe actual satellites signal was drop but it just say internet connection is down, hell at one point I actual disconnect h3 from the internet, ( no wifi pass word or access) and they same message would still randomly pop up, hence I said I think it bad wording.

Still cant get them to replace my 2 Joey 4k with 2 Joey 4's with out getting Hopper plus, which they wont give me less i drop one my 2 hopper 3, which i wont do and I can get them to give me new stuff without paying dime for it.

Mÿ luck with manually downloading the updates is not good. So, I just wait for the updates to download themselves.
Last time update manual to trying fix issue, that didnt fix it, I had tech come out and they asked me how I had said update, I told them I manual updated the via update software. He said that not what he meant that update software wasn't even out for public use.

In the end I had h3 replace cause they said might be hardware issue, it didnt fix the problem, at this point every piece of hardware was replace, and I was told if it continues it software. was basicly told to sh*t in one hand and hope in another see which fills first, just not those words.

I no longer force manual updates, but hey the stutter skip that only appeared on joey 4k side of thing seem to be fixed I have not see it happen in over 6 months so i guess that tooked 4 years to fix on software side, well less it starts doing it again cause I said something.

As much I complain about dish and there stuff, there still probably only company I dont have problem with calling to get thing delt with.

Almighty1, had a good Dish technician visit today. First thing he noticed was that I had an original Hopper Plus power adapter. The original Plus came out with an incorrect power adapter. The original power adapter has a red tip connector. The newer Plus power adapter has a gray tip. The red tip power adapter rating is 12V--2.1A. The gray tip rating is 12V--0.82A. Technician said the incorrect original red tip power adapters were known to have caused Hopper Plus issues. Anyway, he installed a new Hopper Plus with a gray tip power adapter. I will post in a day or two on how goes it. Hope I don’t have any more no notice Hopper Plus self-resets. Got to get my commander off my A--. I would suggest to anyone that are having Hopper Plus issues is to check your power adapter for the correct gray tip version. If it is red, call and have a Dish technician replace your Plus with the correct gray tip power adapter.
That's interesting and I had to look at what mines is but I didn't unplug anything and mines is neither, seems to be half way between the red tip and gray tip you have. It's 12V 1.46A and light gray tip if you mean the plastic part that locks onto the back of the Hopper Plus. I never knew overpowered would cause problems, only underpowered as you never had issues before recently. Hope your Hopper Plus is good now.

So the brief blackout on recorded program playback on H3 is still there on 376, and has been since the switch to the new media engine if I’m remembering right. Engineering can’t get a handle on it?

Latest Wally Update Broke Assistant

Dish decided I needed to record Orphan Black: Echoes.