Hopper 3 hard drive failure

KaptainRandom

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
mesa az
Well,
This Hopper 3 worked for 4 years almost to the day.
Called support,
Replacement H3 on the way.

We awoke Monday to hardrive failure.
Thankfully, the current software sllows tuners to function without harddrive. At least for the H3 itself, all joeys show menus, guides, ets, but no channels video/audio.
So, H3 works as tuner for 'live' mode only.
No dvr functions. No rewind. No skip commercials. No timer list of programs we regullarly watch. So, we have to try to remember 'what do we usually watch the next couple days and either watch live or wait until stream avail via network app.

Funny thing, Firestick DishAnywhere works for tuners, but joeys don't (Black screen).
Have not check yet but will try DA to access previously record programs on harddrive and report back later (just for fun).
Using streaming on nonH3 tvs until replacement H3 arrives.

Reminders for us of why we still have Dish.
We are sooiled with Dish User Interface and functions.
We are not ready for cutting cord.

Thanx for reading.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240528_065704_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240528_065704_Samsung Internet.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 51
That's too bad - are there more Hopper 3 HD failures than other receivers? My original Hopper was over 9 years old, was on around 16 hours a day and on the original HD when they took it away.

Do you have to pay for the tech service visit to replace the Hopper 3? Or do they ship a new one to you and also send you a box to send off the old one?

OMG streaming with 'ads'.
:(
The same 3-4 ads every ad segment.
And usually single ad repeated more than once during an ad segment.

Short term,
Really missing ability to time offset watching and 30sec skip to skip commercials.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Joeys used to work when a hopper had a bad hard drive up until about 6-8 months ago. Something changed in the software that causes joeys not to work.

First time I seen it took me forever to figure out why a customers Joey wouldn't work until I finally went to the hopper and found out the hdd is bad lol.

That's too bad - are there more Hopper 3 HD failures than other receivers? My original Hopper was over 9 years old, was on around 16 hours a day and on the original HD when they took it away.

Do you have to pay for the tech service visit to replace the Hopper 3? Or do they ship a new one to you and also send you a box to send off the old one?
Mine may be close to that same age. I have had some moments, when it can contrary and stubborn, but it always seems to stay working

Mine may be close to that same age. I have had some moments, when it can contrary and stubborn, but it always seems to stay working
I am lucky I guess I still have my original Hopper 3 which I got about 9 months before they were released to the public. It's been really solid for me hardware wise. And software wise has gotten better and better over the years.

I have no complaints about my H3. But we rarely watch it, due to loss of programming.

If they drop the great food truck race, i suspect Dish will be dropped as soon we watch the EHD recordings.

The replacement H3 arrived today.
Unplugged power to all joeys.
Swapped connections on old to 'new' H3s.
Plugged in 'new' H3.
2 cycles of software updates.
Paired remotes.
Scanned OTAs.
Restore settings via remote.
Timers restored.
Custom guide lists have names but are empty.

Plugged in 1 joey at a time.
Joey looking for H3 with old H3 ID#.
Took a long time, but brought up screen to connect to available hopper.
Plugged in other joeys 1 at a time, same process.

Timers restored.
Custom guides not restored to H3.
Custom guides still good on joeys.
Will used joey custom guides to rebuild H3 custom guides.
Tiles of DVR recordings of old H3 appear on new H3 but do not work.

Just a bit of frustration getting 'back to normal'.
But, worth having all the easyness of the Hopper 3 UI.

The replacement H3 arrived today.
Unplugged power to all joeys.
Swapped connections on old to 'new' H3s.
Plugged in 'new' H3.
2 cycles of software updates.
Paired remotes.
Scanned OTAs.
Restore settings via remote.
Timers restored.
Custom guide lists have names but are empty.

Plugged in 1 joey at a time.
Joey looking for H3 with old H3 ID#.
Took a long time, but brought up screen to connect to available hopper.
Plugged in other joeys 1 at a time, same process.

Timers restored.
Custom guides not restored to H3.
Custom guides still good on joeys.
Will used joey custom guides to rebuild H3 custom guides.
Tiles of DVR recordings of old H3 appear on new H3 but do not work.

Just a bit of frustration getting 'back to normal'.
But, worth having all the easyness of the Hopper 3 UI.
Have tried reset of the hopper since you got everything restored? That may or may not fix the favorites list.

I, too, am on my original Hopper, which I got a couple of months after its initial availability. My fingers are crossed, but it's been rock solid since then.
Same. But I've noticed that if my H3 is plugged in thru a power strip or 'surge protector' that it occasionally went batshit crazy. Recordings just missing, wireless Joey showing no Hopper, a hard drive error.. but as soon as I plugged it into the outlet directly.. all of my issues went away.
We used to ask customers how it was plugged in when t/s in the past (but no more for some reason).

I hadn't no idea why that should matter, but sometimes it did.

Same. But I've noticed that if my H3 is plugged in thru a power strip or 'surge protector' that it occasionally went batshit crazy. Recordings just missing, wireless Joey showing no Hopper, a hard drive error.. but as soon as I plugged it into the outlet directly.. all of my issues went away.
We used to ask customers how it was plugged in when t/s in the past (but no more for some reason).

I have had my Hopper plugged into a power strip that is plugged into a power conditioner and have never had those issues.

Never had any of those issues as I have mines plugged into the Panamax M5300-PM Power Conditioner. What did you mean by "t/s"?

Can It Be done

Dish Letter for outdated equipment