Help for cabling indoor installation

PhredsVBF

Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Because my balcony faces north in my condo, I am planning to install a dish looking out my south window. I have a question about the cabling for this project.

I currently have three cable outlets in the walls of various rooms in my place. The cable is RG6. Because the TVs on which I would like to watch Dish are in faraway rooms (and I'd rather not string cable all along the interior walls), I would like to know if this is possible:

I will run a cable from the LNBF to the cable outlet in the wall (with a diplexer in between). Will the signal then travel to other cable outlets in my home? If I place diplexers between the receivers and the outlets in the another rooms, will the dish signal (from the aforementioned indoor outlet) travel throughout my home?

Furthermore, if I presently have broadband cable internet, will the dish signal interfere with that signal, or will the diplexer effectively "sort" those two signals?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered, but I did spend a good amount of time searching and did not come across it.

PhredsVBF

PhredsVBF said:
Because my balcony faces north in my condo, I am planning to install a dish looking out my south window. I have a question about the cabling for this project.

I currently have three cable outlets in the walls of various rooms in my place. The cable is RG6. Because the TVs on which I would like to watch Dish are in faraway rooms (and I'd rather not string cable all along the interior walls), I would like to know if this is possible:

I will run a cable from the LNBF to the cable outlet in the wall (with a diplexer in between). Will the signal then travel to other cable outlets in my home? If I place diplexers between the receivers and the outlets in the another rooms, will the dish signal (from the aforementioned indoor outlet) travel throughout my home?

Furthermore, if I presently have broadband cable internet, will the dish signal interfere with that signal, or will the diplexer effectively "sort" those two signals?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered, but I did spend a good amount of time searching and did not come across it.

PhredsVBF
SUBSCRIBE TO CABLE!!!! You probably will not be able to get a usable signal through a window. :shocked

Thank you for the reply. I'm well aware of the refraction problems of getting a satellite signal through a window. I probably should have included in my post that I'm planning on actually having the dish "look" through a section of plexiglass.

My question actually has to do with the issue of the signal running through the cable (see original post), and I would really appreciate any knowledgable opinions on that.

A dyplexer probably will not carry the internet signal, too low of frequency. You could run the satellite signal thru the existing cable but I'm sure there is a splitter somewhere for the cable and you will need to eliminate that. Are there three cable outlets in each wall pf each room or one in three different rooms.

Thanks very much for the reply, wobbie.

There is one outlet each in three different rooms. My hope would be that I could connect the LNB of my satellite dish in one room, and then the satellite signal would travel via the coax to the other rooms, where I would have receivers.

There likely is a splitter involved, and I'm sure it is effectively outside the house, splitting the incoming internet and cable television signal. Does that mean that my satellite signal would not travel to the other rooms, but instead continue "out" the incoming end of the splitter?

You can NOT "split" a switched (110/119/etc) LNB feed and share it between receivers.

If you manage to solve that problem, the rest is moot, although cable internet certainly compounds the problem - that feed should be isolated from the rest of them.

That's correct, you'll need a single, designated line for each receievr you want to use and a single line for the internet. If your okay with one receiver you could find the splitter and connect the line from each room together to feed one room and leave the internet. Or run the lines along the baseboards and drill holes and use wall plates to go from room to room.

Dish and Vonnage

Question about the 522...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)