HDMI, How much did it improve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jrock21

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
your PQ? I did a search, but have not found a lot of recent info. Has D* fixed the "flicker" problem? Is an HDMI connection superior to a component or S-Video connection? I am a E* convert and am wondering because with E*, the HD PQ was much better with an HDMI/DVI connection.

After the H10 firmware download, I reconnected my HDMI-DVI cable and have not experienced any flicker/blackouts for over 2 weeks! HDMI and DVI are the latest digital connections and are definately better than S-Video. :)

Immensely

jrock21 said:
I am a E* convert and am wondering because with E*, the HD PQ was much better with an HDMI/DVI connection.

My installer actually plugged in the S-video, the component cables, AND my HDMI cable, unbeknownst to me. For nearly a week I was watching the S-cable input thinking it was awesome.
Imagine my pleasant surprise when I figured out how he had it wired, and the improvement when I removed the S-cable and activated the HDMI input. I have split screen capabilities and was able to put them side-by-side. Now, don't get me wrong, S with HDTV is really really nice, but I'd say with HDMI is 50% better (which is to say it's now unbelievable).
I got the upgrade the evening after installation, so I never have had any of the resetting issues that were previously present.

bigpro said:
My installer actually plugged in the S-video, the component cables, AND my HDMI cable, unbeknownst to me. For nearly a week I was watching the S-cable input thinking it was awesome.
Imagine my pleasant surprise when I figured out how he had it wired, and the improvement when I removed the S-cable and activated the HDMI input. I have split screen capabilities and was able to put them side-by-side. Now, don't get me wrong, S with HDTV is really really nice, but I'd say with HDMI is 50% better (which is to say it's now unbelievable).
I got the upgrade the evening after installation, so I never have had any of the resetting issues that were previously present.

That's becaue you weren't watching HD. S-video cannot pass HD signal.
You will have a harder time seeing the difference between HDMI and Component video.

"You will have a harder time seeing the difference between HDMI and Component video."

But to my eyes the difference is definitely noticable... say if DVI/HDMI is a 10, then I'd give component an 8 or 9.

jrock21 said:
your PQ? I did a search, but have not found a lot of recent info. Has D* fixed the "flicker" problem? Is an HDMI connection superior to a component or S-Video connection? I am a E* convert and am wondering because with E*, the HD PQ was much better with an HDMI/DVI connection.

The answer is potentially yes for HDMI only. This is assuming that the manufacturers of all the devices in the signal chain have implemented the HDMI 1.1 spec correctly & said signal chain is in pure HDMI.

HDMI, per the 1.1 spec, contains up to 12 bits for the video information. The typical implementation is 10 bits with todays equipment however. This is up to 12 bits with or without audio. The catch is that the DVI spec is limited to 8 bits. So if you use any HDMI/DVI converters the maximum video resolution is going to be 8 bits.

Now just got price out some fully HDM1 1.1 AV receivers :rolleyes:

Also it's wise to make sure you use the highest quality cable you can afford (be it hdmi, s-vid, etc), esp. for the newer types, don't skimp, that alone can make or break any input type.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Storm help from D*

Strength meter and 101W: Help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)