HDCP or I think I'm up a creek...

kpayne

Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
I'm confused, I think I've got a problem though... does the display have to be HDCP compliant? or just the 921 itself, according to infocus:

"the projector can receive digital (non-HDCP) content through the M1 port"

Does this mean I'm hosed as far as HD goes??

TIA (this forum has been a great help)

Ken

Kinda,

I think that if/when the broadcast flag gets implemented, that non-HDCP components will either down-rez or black out.

Cyclone said:
Kinda,

I think that if/when the broadcast flag gets implemented, that non-HDCP components will either down-rez or black out.
Which makes my $2000 HDTV worthless.

At which point it's going to be catapulted through the MPAA @$$#ole's window.

So does this mean my non-hdcp projector will work with Dish HD for the time being??

Sorry if it seems like I'm asking the same thing over and over, but the info on InFocus's site has me concerned.. at first I thought this was no big deal, I figured I'd just order the ECM module and hook-up the 921 through component... but infocus says that the LP530 will automatically down-rez anything on the component input to 480 :( It will only do real HD thru the M1-DA port. So this has me thinking.. will it only do HD with a digital signal?? My current setup has a vga-M1 adapter going in , that displays XGA, but vga is an analog signal right?

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this...

As usual Dish's tech support was worthless...

BTW, CU2000, according to Infocus the 5700 is HDCP enabled..

Anybody else using an LP530 with Dish HD?

I finally got through to someone at Dish who was very helpful.

The word I got was that HDCP will be required by the FCC July, 05.

What it means is that if a content provider demands copy protection, the DBS provider's box will downres the component and non HDCP DVI outputs (they could I guess demand that the provider black out the program, but that would probably cause too many problems). It has been sugested that the output would drop to 480p.

This is likely only to happen with PPV, the rest of the stuff has been out in circulation way to long to really make a difference.

Last I heard, HDCP is required in equipment manufactured after July, 2005.

I seriously doubt it will see any use for years after that.

After all, how much turnover is there in equipment?

SimpleSimon said:
Last I heard, HDCP is required in equipment manufactured after July, 2005.

I seriously doubt it will see any use for years after that.

After all, how much turnover is there in equipment?

It could be soon if both Dish and DIRECTV switch to MPEG-4, all new boxes on the HD front...

mike123abc said:
It could be soon if both Dish and DIRECTV switch to MPEG-4, all new boxes on the HD front...
I believe that all the DISH HD and Directv HD receivers are already HDCP compatible.

Recording HDTV onto VCR

Cant order sports??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)