Grounding a system 50' from main house ground

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Porsche_911_s

Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Galveston
I need help figuring out the best way to ground my system. I will tell you I screwed up already and put it on its own ground that caused a ground loop and blew 2hdmi ports from near by lighting strikes. That was ALL my ignorant a$$.

So, I selected the back porch as the area to mount the dish. That's only 14 feet off the ground. If I mount the dish close to the houses grounding rod, that puts the dish at 28 feet. Because of the high winds we receive, my choice was made based on that.

So my question, what is the best way to ground a system like that. Run coax from the sat into the attic to the soffit, pop out , install a grounding block and run a wire down to the grounding block?

One friend suggested going to the outside ac units grounding block which is half the distance.

Any help would be great.

Porsche_911_s said:
I need help figuring out the best way to ground my system. I will tell you I screwed up already and put it on its own ground that caused a ground loop and blew 2hdmi ports from near by lighting strikes. That was ALL my ignorant a$$.

So, I selected the back porch as the area to mount the dish. That's only 14 feet off the ground. If I mount the dish close to the houses grounding rod, that puts the dish at 28 feet. Because of the high winds we receive, my choice was made based on that.

So my question, what is the best way to ground a system like that. Run coax from the sat into the attic to the soffit, pop out , install a grounding block and run a wire down to the grounding block?

One friend suggested going to the outside ac units grounding block which is half the distance.

Any help would be great.

You can either run the coax to the home ground (which is recommend by Directv) or you can run a ground wire to the house ground however 20 ft is the max recommended. Note, if you have a 20 ft run if ground wire and a 10 ft cable run to a receiver your ground is useless. My system is NOT grounded and I won't. I've seen more issues with systems being grounded than not.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the code and it says no longer than 20' feet for the ground wire. The only way that is possible is if i take the coax to the soffit and ground to the electrical box. Not sure that an extra 100 feet of cable will do to my signal.

Porsche_911_s said:
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the code and it says no longer than 20' feet for the ground wire. The only way that is possible is if i take the coax to the soffit and ground to the electrical box. Not sure that an extra 100 feet of cable will do to my signal.

Depends what kind if system it is. Is it SWM, standard, or old school HD (4 lines from the dish)?

Porsche_911_s said:
Can anyone tell me if going into the attic with the coax to reach the other side to ground is against code? Or dangerous?

Nope, you're fine. Before I became service i use to run it through the attic or crawl space to reach the ground

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Firmware Upgrade

Directv 99/101/103 in a low signal area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)