gps in receivers?

dottedquad

Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Hello all,
A former dishnetwork technician informed me that dishnetwork now embeds GPS chips in their receivers to track the location of their receivers by sending a the information back to home office via dish or some sort of telephone or internet connection. Is this a hoax? I can't see the information getting sent through the dish because of the dish can only receive unless it's the 'internet provider' kind.

-Rich

more importantly, how is the Receiver to know where it is when they're usually inside and unable to see GPS satellites.

Hello all,
A former dishnetwork technician informed me that dishnetwork now embeds GPS chips in their receivers to track the location of their receivers by sending a the information back to home office via dish or some sort of telephone or internet connection. Is this a hoax? I can't see the information getting sent through the dish because of the dish can only receive unless it's the 'internet provider' kind.

-Rich
They will soon embed gps chips in their customers.:cool:

more importantly, how is the Receiver to know where it is when they're usually inside and unable to see GPS satellites.

I would assume that since the dish is conencted to the Receiver via Coax that it would be tecnically possble with the right hardware. Not saying it works or is there but it could be done since the receiver is commeted to an outdoor device.

If you cover the receiver in tinfoil, the internal GPS won't work and Charlie's secret police won't have a clue where it is. :shocked

I am surprised that for the price of a disposible cell phone they have not bothered to incorporate a report back mechanism via the nationwide cell network. Would be no reason for audit dept that way.

I don't know why they don't use signal strength to 110 / 119 and then the customers address as the third point.

ie ... Location = stated address + distance to 110 + distance to 119.

I don't know why they don't use signal strength to 110 / 119 and then the customers address as the third point.

ie ... Location = stated address + distance to 110 + distance to 119.

you're very close with that one.

stated address is not one of the variables.

where do you think location id comes from???? try unplugging the satellite cable and see what happens. I'm not really sure now that I think about it. guess i'll have to try that one out.

Last edited:
you're very close with that one.

stated address is not one of the variables.

where do you think location id comes from???? try unplugging the satellite cable and see what happens. I'm not really sure now that I think about it. guess i'll have to try that one out.

I didn't mean the current "location". I was just suggesting that they might use the customer address as part of the triangulation.

well someone who had a receiver like a 722 at a secondary location:( and a dishcomm neighbors receiver reported the violation could get the idea their box had a GPS built in.......

I doubt audit tells them how they were caught, for fear of giving others ideas.....

ESPN pic cut off at bottom

Dish Dvr/Sharing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts