FTA setup question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Joseph R. Mautz

Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Hi. I am Joseph R. Mautz (Joe Mautz). I live in Liverpool, NY (near Syracuse, NY).
I have never posted on this site before. I am mostly interested in MPEG2 free-to air reception. I would like to give and take information on how to receive
FTA satellites. How do I do this?

For example, with a Fortec Star 120cm dish and a HH120 motor, I get
all or nearly all of what is on IA-5. However, I have not been able to adjust another Fortec Star dish in a fixed position to receive anywhere near the same number of channels. This is ironic because it is supposed to be easier to align a fixed dish than it is to align a motorized dish on the whole arc. I get some channels on IA-5 with the fixed dish but not all of them. One problem is that the exact peak of my satellite finder is not exactly where I get the best
reception. After I get a new satellite finder and a new LNB, I will work on the
problem and let forum members know what happens.

I also have a 10 foot dish and a 4DTV receiver that I would like to use to
get C band FTA reception. This would require programming more satellites.
How do I do this without risking a TDT (transponder data table) overflow?
For this problem, the 4DTV forum might be more appropriate.

You can get a c/ku feed for the big dish for both C-band and Ku-band fta, the 4dtv will control polarity and the arm, you do not need to worry about tdt overflow unless you select a Ku-band icon on a Star choice satellite, the 4dtv has extra sat icons for you to use with dvb, if you do want to program a Star choice sat use a C-band icon like F1.

i have a coolsat5000 and quad lnb&33" dish how i setup my receiver?about disq switch etc

For the channels that you can receive on both, is the quality about the same? If so then maybe its a polarity issue and one of the two polarities is not being recieved. Also check settings on the receivers.

For example, with a Fortec Star 120cm dish and a HH120 motor, I get all or nearly all of what is on IA-5. However, I have not been able to adjust another Fortec Star dish in a fixed position to receive anywhere near the same number of channels.
I think your problem with this is going to be the skew. The motorized dish automatically takes care of the skew as the dish moves across the arc. But, on a fixed dish you will need to skew the dish or the lnbf. I'm thinking the Fortec Star dish doesn't have a skew adjustment, so you will need to skew the lnbf. It's probably not much, but from your location, I would guess between 10-15 degrees. The bottom of the lnbf should move towards the east from you location (I think). Hope this helps?

Al

And "Welcome to SatelliteGuys"!!!!

and don't forget to slowly push in and pull out the lnb in the holder once you get the skew correct, you won't believe how much that helps.
rdel

In reply to voomvoom, I do not think that the problem is with the skew because I tilted the LNBF on the fixed dish the same as on the motorized dish pointed to the same satelllite. In reply to rdel, I have not pushed in and out the lnb for either the fixed dish or the motorized dish. I did not think it would make much difference because only a little movement is possible and I tried to center it as much as possible. Anyway, I will try to position the LNB for maximum signal but first I want
to get new LNB's because the ones that I have now are old. It is really strange that my reception on the motorized dish is much better than on the fixed dish. Is it possible that I am focusing a sideband of the fixed dish rather than the main beam on the satellite? I really believe there is a problem with my fixed dishes (a fortec star 120 cm and a paraclipse 90 cm) and that somehow I will eventually solve the problem. If I find a solution, I will post a message describing it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tree is down, can now see 22 to 58 west

SonicView SV1000 Setup Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)