FTA Radio Reception - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jfenn

Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
My apologies for what is most likely a noob question, but my search of the forums did not yield an answer (probably because I'm also a noob at using the search feature).

In the course of cleaning out a foreclosed house, I took home a couple of abandoned Pansat 2500a receivers and one remote. We used to subscribe to DirecTV before switching to AT&T U-verse, and the small dish is still installed. So after a bit of online study, I connected the 2500a to the dish and repositioned the dish to get a signal from Nimiq 1 (91 W), with the goal of getting some satellite radio streamed to my sound system. (Due to the mounting position of the dish, it being a circuler lnb, and nearby obstructions, I was limited in what I could aim at.) I did the blind FTA scan and was able to tune the "Upcoming Events" channel, and I also have audio on this channel. The Pansat 2500a also shows that I am receiving a slew of FTA radio channels, but when I select one, I get no audio. Is this because the radio channels are actually encrypted but the 2500a does not recognize them as encrypted? Or does the 2500a lack the ability to decode the signals? Or is the problem elsewhere?

The audio channels are encrypted. They used to be open a few years ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Mystery solved. Thank you all very much. So if I were to put a 30" or greater dish with linear lnb up in place of the DirecTV dish, and aimed it properly, I should be able to pull in some tunes from Galaxy 17, correct?

The music on 91W is AC-3 audio so you would need a separate audio decoder if you went that route

Status
Please reply by conversation.

can't get DMX 741U to work on c-band. Please help!

Coolsat 8000 Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts