FreeHD for life question

Ranger305

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Tennessee
After talking to Dish CS earlier today I walked away ready to cancel... Talk about a hard selling something I didn't want. Before I call the local cable co. or u-verse and drop Dish, maybe you folks can answer my question.

I have been a loyal Dish customer for the last 12 years, out of contract for the last 3-4. Still have an older 522 receiver. Finally bought an HD capable tv a while back and interested in upping my service to HD capable. CS gave me the option of paying a $99 fee for install or (VERY hard sale) sign up for maintenance, no options on packages. I read in another thread here that it may be an option to go with a new contract to achieve the same thing. Is this a valid option? Would I be able to get the "promotional" package pricing with the new contract?

Thanks

I would say PM "Private Message" one of the Dirt "" Dish internet response team" members here with your account number and ask what they can do. If you have been a loyal Dish customer for the last 12 years and out of contract for the last 3-4 I have a strong feeling you can get upgraded to hd for little to no money out of pocket.

The DIRT folks names are in red on the bottom of the main page

As AlaJoe mentions you should be able to upgrade to HD for little to no money. You would require a 2 year commitment but if you've been with Dish for 12 years why leave? ;)

After talking to Dish CS earlier today I walked away ready to cancel... Talk about a hard selling something I didn't want. Before I call the local cable co. or u-verse and drop Dish, maybe you folks can answer my question.

I have been a loyal Dish customer for the last 12 years, out of contract for the last 3-4. Still have an older 522 receiver. Finally bought an HD capable tv a while back and interested in upping my service to HD capable. CS gave me the option of paying a $99 fee for install or (VERY hard sale) sign up for maintenance, no options on packages. I read in another thread here that it may be an option to go with a new contract to achieve the same thing. Is this a valid option? Would I be able to get the "promotional" package pricing with the new contract?

Thanks

Hi, I would really like to help you get upgraded to HD. Can you please PM me your account# or phone#? I will review your account and see what i can offer you. You will not be able to qualify for a new customer promotion but I should be able to help you! Thank you!

You may qualify for a free upgrade but you will have to pay the technician visit fee of $95 or $15 if you're on the service plan. For paying that fee and renewing a 24 month commitment you get a new receiver with remotes, a new Dish assembly and it all installed by a professional. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. As for getting a deal on your programming, Dish may be able to offer you something speacial for being a long time customer.

If you like your service from Dish then it's a great deal. If you don't care, then switching to another provider could offer you the best savings.

This thread answers exactly why I switched from D* to E* after 4 years. I was happy with D* but saved a bunch of bucks by switching. I guess both companies are making money but both treat new customers much better than existing loyal customers. E* will give free installation, HDDVR, $25.00 off for a year, a $200.00 gift card and free HD for new signups, as well as free premium channels, protection plan and BBMP for periods of time. If more subs were willing and able to switch providers every 2 years it might help bring some sanity to how E* and D* treat their customers.

People need to think from a business point of view and understand that it's difficult to make money when you give the customer everything they want for free whenever they want it. If you could get new promotions with the same provider ever few years how would they ever make money? The goal for the company is to get as many new customers as they can and try to keep them without giving everything away.

Ranger305 said:

Thanks

And just to let you know....being an inhouse installer i feel you should be prepared, for the tech to want to reinstall your entire install being that your system has so much age on it. And not because you have been a customer so long your install is out dated, but because our requirements change so often, what was once approved 3 months ago may not be approved today. So be prepared for a 3-4 hour upgrade.

a 3-4 hour upgrade to swap a dish and possibly run a new cable? (since there is only one receiver unless he keeps the 522 going)
Seriously?

a 3-4 hour upgrade to swap a dish and possibly run a new cable? (since there is only one receiver unless he keeps the 522 going)
Seriously?

Depends on the tech, but I agree it shouldn't take that long. I recently helped my Mom sign up for Dish and had everything prewired inside the house with the cable going to the point where the ground block was going to be. All the tech needed to do was to install the dish on a pole, bury the cable about 15' to the house, install the ground block and ground and activate. I even setup the receiver while he was aiming the dish. How long should that have taken? Well the job ended up taking almost 2.5 hours! Shouldn't have even taken an hour, I've done two room installs running all the cables in about two hours. I guess some installers use try to prolong their day.

Dish Canceled Which Equipment to Return?

Leaving dish, what do I need to return?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)