Fix It Insurance?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Sorry that I don't know the correct name for the service. But, I'd appreciate this group's opinion on whether it is worth it to pay the monthly fee for having DTV fix any things that break in your system? I have my own Ku satellite and I've worked with cable. So, I'm thinking that now that the dish is on the roof and the cable is drilled through the walls that I could try to handle anything that breaks. But, my wife is wondering. Any advice appreciated.

Sorry that I don't know the correct name for the service. But, I'd appreciate this group's opinion on whether it is worth it to pay the monthly fee for having DTV fix any things that break in your system? I have my own Ku satellite and I've worked with cable. So, I'm thinking that now that the dish is on the roof and the cable is drilled through the walls that I could try to handle anything that breaks. But, my wife is wondering. Any advice appreciated.

remember that it not only covers dish allignment but also your receivers. i find it necessary to have with an hd dvr and an hd receiver. this way you are covered if they go out. if you are not covered then you pay for a new receiver. keep the service. it is worth it!

I don't have the protection plan. Keep in mind most the recieves people have now days are leased. I have several HD DVR's. If any of them ever breaks all I have to do is call for a replacement and they will ship it via FexEx for a $19.99 shipping fee. The shipping fee is waived if you have the protection plan but I'm not worried about $20 for a new box. This however, only works if the receiver is leased not owned.

The protection plan is nice for dish allignment though but, in all the years I have had DirecTV, I don't think mine every got moved.

I don't use it but I installed everything myself. I one bad dvr and all I had to pay was $19.99 shipping and that was years ago.I figured I could take care of everything else so no need to $5.99 a month. That's just my 2 cent.

I don't have it and last time I had a receiver replaced they were willing to waive the $20 shipping charge due to the inconvience of timing (it died on a Friday during football season).

If you don't take the coverage and they replace an HD DVR for the price of shipping, does that extend you commitment? For example, if you are 16 months into a 24 mo commtment, would D then extend it for another 24 months from that date?

RACJ2, as far as I know, it does not extend the contract. I don't really see how it could. You are not adding an additional receiver just replacing a defect.

remember that it not only covers dish allignment but also your receivers. i find it necessary to have with an hd dvr and an hd receiver. this way you are covered if they go out. if you are not covered then you pay for a new receiver. keep the service. it is worth it!
you only pay shipping on the new reciever :rolleyes: And anyone with half a brain gets the insurance after it breaks and calls two weeks later.

RACJ2, as far as I know, it does not extend the contract. I don't really see how it could. You are not adding an additional receiver just replacing a defect.

Thanks for the reply. Since the leased HD DVR's only have a 60 day warranty, I thought they might extend the term, because they are doing you a favor by swapping them.

Last edited:
No problem RACJ2, the way I look at it is like this:

If I don't have a working receiver, why would I continue to pay for the service? If my receiver takes a dump on me, then DirecTV better replace it for free or a small fee or I would just stop paying them for service that I'm not getting.

No where in my contract does it say that I have to resign a contract for defective equipment when it is replaced.

I think it is worth it without a doubt. I could be wrong but I believe you will have to pay 70-80$ per service call if you have a problem with your dish. Just like anything else it is hard to quantify the value of it until you need it..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NFL on ESPNHD

DOD missing programming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)