Feeling panic over VIP612 upgrade...

coasterguy

Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Okay, so I had (have) a DVR625 using both tuners on one TV. Love it. Intial glitches went away and it has been great for years (still ticking). But a new TV came along and I "dished-it-up" to HD, leasing a VIP612. But now I'm thinking the VIP722 would have been a better choice. The reasons are trivial, but I like having the PIP Swap button feature the 625 had and the 612 doesn't. Also if you are recording one program and watching another live, then you start watching a recorded program, when you stop the tuner goes back to the channel being recorded, not the one you were watching. Plus the 722 does have a larger hard drive. Did I make the wrong choice or am I just being petty? And if I did make a mistake, is it too late to make a change with Dish without paying up the wazoo since I just locked in for a new two-year agreement?
Thank you for reading my rambling.

Derek

It depends on your needs. I have both. I use the 722 in the living room and on VERY rare occasion (like twice a year) I use it in dual TV mode. The larger recording capacity is the biggest difference to me.

The 612 serves the bedroom. I really wish Dish had multi-room view, but since they don't this serves as my bedroom DVR. I have had no problem with it. If you are watching a recorded program & it finishes and dumps you onto the tuner that is recording, just click "swap" or change the channel (automatically switches tuners unless you are recording 2 things). It's not a big deal.

If I only had 1 box, it would be a 722, though.

Go for the 722 if you can. I'd imagine if they haven't mailed it out yet, you might be able to change your order, otherwise you could send it right back if you don't activate it. I have yet to get a 612 that has an HDMI port that actually works. Not the end of the world since I just use component instead. However, HD PPV is not possible without it, so that's kind of annoying. And yes, after many experiments and googling, I'm sure it's the receiver. It's apparently a common problem with them.

Go for the 722 if you can. I'd imagine if they haven't mailed it out yet, you might be able to change your order, otherwise you could send it right back if you don't activate it. I have yet to get a 612 that has an HDMI port that actually works. Not the end of the world since I just use component instead. However, HD PPV is not possible without it, so that's kind of annoying. And yes, after many experiments and googling, I'm sure it's the receiver. It's apparently a common problem with them.

What are you talking about? I'm not sure what you said was relevant, or even correct. He already said that he already has the 612 installed, and they wouldn't ship it out for an upgrade from a 625 which most likely would include a dish upgrade as well. Yes the 722 is better in many ways. And why would you believe an HDMI is required to order HD PPV? Component still gives HD, but not digital HD.

vash1090 said:
What are you talking about? I'm not sure what you said was relevant, or even correct. He already said that he already has the 612 installed, and they wouldn't ship it out for an upgrade from a 625 which most likely would include a dish upgrade as well. Yes the 722 is better in many ways. And why would you believe an HDMI is required to order HD PPV? Component still gives HD, but not digital HD.

My mistake, I thought he meant he just ordered it, he didn't really mention clearly that he installed it. I believe you need HDMI for HD PPV because that's what the error screen on my 612 says whenever I try to view one. You need an HDCP compliant connection to view Dish HD PPV. Can't do that without HDMI.

OP needs to clarify.

However, you should really call DISH ASAP and see if they'll play ball. The sooner, the better. You will likely be happier with the ViP722, but the ViP612 isn't the end of the world.

I only have one TV and so I ordered the 612. How would the 722 work on only one tv. I do have an HDTV and would like to get the best picture/sound reception. Would it be better with the 722. Right now with the 612 I can record two programs at the same time. Would that be the same with the 722? I guess my question really is, "what is the advantage of the 722?
thanks,
Linda

The 722 has pip features , bigger hard drive and can be used in dual mode for two tvs, watching two different shows at the same time.

I would get the 722. I'm on my 3rd 612, first 2 kept rebooting for no reason. The 3rd has worked fine for about a year but I did start having a HDMI output problem (I have a CAT5e to HDMI adapter) but I installed a HDMI amplifier and it's worked fine.

Humming and lines going up screen

Why do I need a technician to install a VIP922?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts