External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

I have tried to work my way through this thread to get this clear, and I'm still not there. Sorry, this is and old issue, but... I bought the 500gb ext from Eaglebit and wish to use it on my 3 DVRs (722 and two 622s) I was thinking I would be able to just switch them around as needed. So is it just 3 moves and you are done or not?? Meaning I record on DVR A, play on DVR B, record again on DVR A and that's it?? You can't use it any more except on DVR A? I was hoping it was merely a 3 DVR rule (on the same account)

I haven't called to activate the feature yet but if I can't routinely use the drive on my three DVRs I may not bother...

I have tried to work my way through this thread to get this clear, and I'm still not there. Sorry, this is and old issue, but... I bought the 500gb ext from Eaglebit and wish to use it on my 3 DVRs (722 and two 622s) I was thinking I would be able to just switch them around as needed. So is it just 3 moves and you are done or not?? Meaning I record on DVR A, play on DVR B, record again on DVR A and that's it?? You can't use it any more except on DVR A? I was hoping it was merely a 3 DVR rule (on the same account)

I haven't called to activate the feature yet but if I can't routinely use the drive on my three DVRs I may not bother...

That is correct, only three transfers. I have verified this by swapping a drive four times.

One other thing that bugs me is that my 622 seems to do a weird 'partial lock-up' almost every time I transfer to my Maxtor 500 GB external. The video still works but it does not record anything and the menu system is slow until I reboot the receiver.

Also, why they decided not to let us sort the content on the external drive is beyond me. It is a pain searching through my 70 HD movies to even see what is there, I probably have a few duplicates.

All of this being said, it is pretty cool to have 70 HD movies recorded. It is much easier for the family to find some HD movie to watch now. Before I had to keep 5 or 6 on the DVR and it seemed like nobody could ever agree.

wait now I am confused. I recently purchased 5 freeagent hard drives (500gb). Are you saying that I can only use a maximum of 3 hard drives? If so I need to take the other ones back while I can. Or are you saying a movie can only be transferred 3 times, or that you can only use a hard drive on one dvr (if you own more than one, which I don't). From the dvr to a hard drive then back to the dvr? Please explain thoroughly if you can..I own one dvr-the 622....thank you.

Any number of hard drives. Just that you could go 622 to say 722 to (different?) 622 and then be stuck there. You can clear out the HDD and reformat on your computer and then start anew with a new 622/722 initialization. I thought I did 622 -> 722, twice, which would be 4 by most reckoning, have not persued it as I got the transfers I wanted.
-Ken

wait now I am confused. I recently purchased 5 freeagent hard drives (500gb). Are you saying that I can only use a maximum of 3 hard drives? If so I need to take the other ones back while I can. Or are you saying a movie can only be transferred 3 times, or that you can only use a hard drive on one dvr (if you own more than one, which I don't). From the dvr to a hard drive then back to the dvr? Please explain thoroughly if you can..I own one dvr-the 622....thank you.

Don't worry your fine. Right now you can only connect an external hard drive from 1 DVR to another 3 times. There is no limit on number of drives (but you can only have one connected at a time) or times you can transfer a program back and forth from the internal to external drive.

NightRyder

Don't worry your fine. Right now you can only connect an external hard drive from 1 DVR to another 3 times. There is no limit on number of drives (but you can only have one connected at a time) or times you can transfer a program back and forth from the internal to external drive.

NightRyder

Interesting....after the earlier post, I called Dish, and she told me that there is a limit of 3 hard drives that can be formatted for my one dvr (I only have one dvr, the 622). She was pretty certain about it (it was tech support).....Has anyone tried 4?

Interesting....after the earlier post, I called Dish, and she told me that there is a limit of 3 hard drives that can be formatted for my one dvr (I only have one dvr, the 622). She was pretty certain about it (it was tech support).....Has anyone tried 4?
Why did you have to go an get yourself confused by calling Dish? They are more confused than you are. You can use as many drives as you want.

Last edited:
Why did you have to go an get yourself confused by calling Dish? They are more confused than you are. You can use as many drives as you want.

Because I have 5 freeagents, and I still have time in my 30 days to return them if I can't use that many. That's why. If anyone reading this has actuallky tried (not read about) more than 3 hard drives on the same dvr, please post that info, thanks.

I will try for you later on tonight (I think I have a 40gig upstairs somewhere). But I am really confident it will be fine.

Ok, i think dish is right.

I have 40gig HD, I put it in an enclosure I know works with the 622 and got this:

You have connected an unsupported device to the USB port. Select "Help" for more information.

<OK> - <Cancel> - <Help>

"Help" says:
The attached USB device is currently not supported by the DISH network.

<OK>

The drive is recognized by my computer. I have three drives, one 750, one 500 and one 160...

Sorry mntwister...

Ok, i think dish is right.

I have 40gig HD, I put it in an enclosure I know works with the 622 and got this:

You have connected an unsupported device to the USB port. Select "Help" for more information.

<OK> - <Cancel> - <Help>

"Help" says:
The attached USB device is currently not supported by the DISH network.

<OK>

The drive is recognized by my computer. I have three drives, one 750, one 500 and one 160...

Sorry mntwister...

A thought on that. Dish specs 40GB minimum, but since it's not really 40 (a little less), that could be the problem.

Oh, I thought it was 20 gig min. Thanks KAB.

mntwister - I will check around and see if I have a larger drive, but my guess is not.

I have also gotten that message that I have an unsupported drive, even when I have used it before the same day. Try turning off the hard drive and restarting it, also you can open (on the 622) the front panel and hold the power button down for 5 or 6 seconds and reboot the machine, usually that picks it up, but more luck with turning off the hard drive and turning it back on, it seems to identify it that way at times.

Yeh. If you used a 20, that's why.

No, I used a 40, but you are right since it formats out to 38 and change.

No other hard drives in the house, so I can't fully troubleshoot to see if the software supports more than 3 drives per 622.

I have scanned this thread (40+ pages, i got tired after 4, lol) and I seen mention of a problem with the Seagate FreeAgent, but I couldnt find the problem. Is there anything I need to be concerned about? I just picked up the 750 Pro model.

I have scanned this thread (40+ pages, i got tired after 4, lol) and I seen mention of a problem with the Seagate FreeAgent, but I couldnt find the problem. Is there anything I need to be concerned about? I just picked up the 750 Pro model.

I also started with the Freeagent 750pro, and have been very happy. The one thing I just hate about it is the power button. A slight touch and you can turn it off easily, but to shut it off? You really have to work that button. Poor design, but aside from that I read many reviews and this one seems to be rated the best. The only difference between the regular and the pro is the firewire connection, and if I had known that I would have gotten the regular model, but the pro was on sale at Best Buy for $194 and the regular model was 199, so of course I got the pro.

The only problems I have had is sometimes after sending a recording to the drive, you may need to restart it, as the DVR says it doesn't have a device hooked up, but it is a minor problem and I am sure will be taken care of. I know this thread has gotten pretty long, but I would highly suggest you take the time to read all the posts...I learned alot about how to work it before I used it from this site, much more than the useless sheet of paper that came with it with instructions.

Pro also has eSata connection as well. Not that it helps us with the DVR (unless we switch to Direct, but that aint happening). I also found out after I formated it, that the actual manual is on the drive along with some backup software. Guess I should have hooked it to the pc first, lol. Oh well, prolly never use it anyways except for the DVR.

I am looking at a WD500gb drive at Costco for $149.00. Has anyone tried using this drive with the 622VIP? Did you have success?

Multiple Hoppers and timers

OTA module troubles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)