Please reply by conversation.

bigOleB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2005
SC
This is for all you experts out there:

When using Lyngsat to look up channels I notice the channels all have different encryption techniques.

What type of reciever do you need to recieve the following types of encryption legally with or without subscription?

Digicipher1, Digicipher2, NTSC, PowerVu, VideoGaurd, Wegener, Irdeto, ViaAccess, RAS, VC2

questic said:
This is for all you experts out there:

When using Lyngsat to look up channels I notice the channels all have different encryption techniques.

What type of reciever do you need to recieve the following types of encryption legally with or without subscription?

Digicipher1, Digicipher2, NTSC, PowerVu, VideoGaurd, Wegener, Irdeto, ViaAccess, RAS, VC2

Your best bet would be to get a 10' dish with c/ku band, a 4dtv, and slave a dvb box to it, if you want even more you can get a wideband c/ku feedhorn and also strap on a dbs lnbf to the feed, and you will be happy :)

NTSC VCII+ this is analog feeds you will be able to get them with a VCII+ this is a box that goes into your 4dtv or any old analog unit to enable you to subscribe to the analog feeds that are not free.
Motorola is the head of VCII+ and DCII so with the 4dtv you will be able to get most of these feeds.
Scientific Atlanta is the PowerVu feeds they do not sell to the public, and you can get a box but will not be able to sub to anything at all.
Wegener also makes there own boards and will do you no good.
DCI is hardy used anymore at all, I think prime star used this and there are a few feeds that still use it but not many at all.
You also have DCII combo mode like the espn hd feeds and others, there is no consumer box that can handle the SR of these feeds, the 4dtv is to slow :( and unless we get more people to get back into the big dish and atleast sub to some channels then we will never see another box for the big dish :(

questic,
i am no expert but you have listed are encriptions methods used by the programing providers. some can be legally received through the purchase of a decoder box such as digicipher2, others may require a receiver with a encription card. Others receivers are produced with the encription loaded into its memory. NTSC is one of the different ways tv process the signal. usually NTSC is the standard for the US. and a few other places. PAL is used in europe and perhaps asia, the other is called SEACAM? I think, don't quote me on that one. I am sure A real expert will come along and correct any of my errors.

So is digicipher2 digital or analog, C or Ku?

questic said:

DCI really doesnt exist anymore
DCII would be 4DTV subscription
NTSC is analog in the clear
PowerVu is commercial equipment

VCII is analog subscription (the old C-Band)

The rest I have no idea :)

I didn't really see a thread out there discussing different types of encryption that wasn't illegal so I started one. Anybody figure out what Wegener is for?

Many Digicipher2 channels are available FTA as long as you are using a receiver that has been previously authorized.

neil_kc1 said:
questic,
i am no expert but you have listed are encriptions methods used by the programing providers. some can be legally received through the purchase of a decoder box such as digicipher2, others may require a receiver with a encription card. Others receivers are produced with the encription loaded into its memory. NTSC is one of the different ways tv process the signal. usually NTSC is the standard for the US. and a few other places. PAL is used in europe and perhaps asia, the other is called SEACAM? I think, don't quote me on that one. I am sure A real expert will come along and correct any of my errors.
Pretty good!

NTSC, PAL and SEACAM are three different video standards.

NTSC displays 525 horizontal lines of resolution, the odd numbered lines make up one field and the evens make up another field. There are 59.94 fields generated per second in an interlacing format. This gives us the 29.97 (two fields per frame) frames per second of video.

PAL displays 625 horizontal lines of resolution and works the same as NTSC only fields are drawn at a rate of 50 per second. This makes only 25 frames per second. Slowing the refresh down does help create a more stable and consistent hue however it can be so slow as to appear to flash to some people.

SEACAM (Something Contrary To American Methods haha) actually Systeme Electronique Couleur Avec Memoire (Sequential Color with Memory) is somewhat like PAL with 625 lines and 25 frames per second but those crazy French changed how the color component was interpreted.

Also, RAS is another type of highly secure digital encryption I believe.

Neal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wvgn Amc 4

The Tube@ 123W On G10 Best LNB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)