EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

Bloomberg​

DirecTV, Dish Are Close to Clinching Merger Agreement​

DirecTV and Dish are in advanced talks to merge in a deal that would create the largest US pay-TV provider, with almost 20 million subscribers, people familiar with the matter said.

An agreement could be announced as soon as the coming days, according to the people, who asked not to be identified discussing confidential information. DirecTV is in talks to control the combined entity, which will be closely held, the people said.

----

EchoStar and TPG are expected to remain investors, the people said.

The companies are still working through details of how the combination might be structured, according to the people. While talks are advanced, they could still be delayed or falter, the people said. Bloomberg News reported talks between the parties earlier this month.

---

In August 2021, to get the TV business off its books, AT&T moved DirecTV into a joint venture with private equity investor TPG in a deal that valued the company at about $16 billion. AT&T held 70% while TPG received 30%. Due to subscriber losses, AT&T took a $15.5 billion impairment charge in 2020 to account for the lower value of the operation.

They already lost a spectrum deal because no one will loan them the money, they have until November to raise $4 Billion.

A lot of the News stories I have read, no one will help them because they do not like or trust Charlie Ergen , their two aborted attempts at swapping out their debt/bonds did not help.

I have no idea what he is like in the business world, just what I read.

Also does not help they have now lost about half of their Satellite subscribers in 7 years, 1.5 Million Phone subscribers in less then 2 years, Hughes is down to 1 million subs, my guess because of availability to broadband in rural areas, 5G and Star Link, now have entered into unprofitability, 2 quarters in a row.
Many are going that way. That is why Direct & Dish need to merge. Otherwise both will be gone in time. People just cannot afford the high cost of TV thee days. Streaming has some inexpensive options and lot of free channels, but if a subscriber wants the regular "cable type package", then they pay. I was going to drop Dish, but they kept me on with a $35 locals package. The locals and a few others. That isn't bad, but over $100 a month for a good package today is way too expensive. I do not blame any of the carriers, the programmers want just too much money. There has to be a limit somewhere. Even one of the first free streaming services, Crackle is now history. They were free, but apparently could not generate enough ad money to keep them going. Who knows how long Dish can keep going, but it doesn't look good now.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Bloomberg​

DirecTV and Dish are in advanced talks to merge in a deal that would create the largest US pay-TV provider, with almost 20 million subscribers, people familiar with the matter said.

An agreement could be announced as soon as the coming days, according to the people, who asked not to be identified discussing confidential information. DirecTV is in talks to control the combined entity, which will be closely held, the people said.

----

The companies are still working through details of how the combination might be structured, according to the people. While talks are advanced, they could still be delayed or falter, the people said. Bloomberg News reported talks between the parties earlier this month.

---

In August 2021, to get the TV business off its books, AT&T moved DirecTV into a joint venture with private equity investor TPG in a deal that valued the company at about $16 billion. AT&T held 70% while TPG received 30%. Due to subscriber losses, AT&T took a $15.5 billion impairment charge in 2020 to account for the lower value of the operation.
Hopefully this would keep both services afloat for a few more years.

Bloomberg​

----

---

I thought this was declared a false alarm. Anyway, my thinking is that Charlie will demand operational control of the merged companies.

Hopper Power on question with 54 remote.