EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

A quick look (and I'm fishing in unfamiliar waters), Directv have something like $125 billion in debt. Dish is a fraction of that. I can see why AT&T want a merger! Dish's annual revenue is 10% of that!

Dish at least has a chance at a future with mobile. Directv is a bloated beached whale, the Deshaun Watson of cable/sat providers. The only way a merger works is if AT&T takes a massive hit and writes off the debt in exchange for some share of the new merged company.

AT&T (T) and TPG (TPG) are in early talks to merge their jointly owned DirecTV satellite TV service with Dish Network's (SATS) EchoStar, Reuters and Bloomberg reported Saturday, citing unnamed sources. familiar with the matter.

If successful, the merger would create the largest pay-TV service provider in the US, with around 16 million subscribers.

In 2022, the US Justice Department previously blocked the proposed merger of DirecTV and EchoStar.

Reuters reported that if successful, the merger would strengthen the combined entity's bargaining power with content providers. For Dish, the merger would allow a stronger focus on developing its 5G wireless network
And those subs will dwindle away over time

I'm not certain the loss of subs will continue at the present rate because that alternative of streaming keeps getting more expensive.
So is Cable/Satellite TV, the difference in costs between them and steaming remains the same.

To compare streaming Live TV using YTTV-

With Dish, package close to YTTV is America 120+ at (new price of)$102.99, plus $14 for locals is $116.99, then a DVR is $10, plus one more box is $7, a total of $133.99, $60 more then YTTV.

DirecTV-package close is Choice, but no RSN or fee of course
(new price of)$129.99 +DVR and 1 more Box, brings it too, over $150, a $77 difference.
There is no safe port in this storm of increasing costs. People will either have to pay the price or settle for less.
I chose for better price, quality and more content
MAX (HBO and all Warner Cable Content)-$139 a year with 4K/no commercials
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+(all FOX, ABC,Disney owned Cable Content, like FX for example)-$27 a month bundle with 4K/no commercials
Paramount+ with Showtime (all CBS/Viacom content)-$120 a year with 4K/no commercials
Peacock-(NBC/Universal Cable)$20 a year
Netflix-$23 with 4K/no commercials

Averaging $73.25 a month

Next year, ESPN goes streaming, assume my Hulu Bundle will go up, but total will still be less then Cable/Satellite, especially Comcast and DirecTV.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Peacock-(NBC/Universal Cable)$20 a year
My $20 a year for the last two years Peacock premium sub expired last week Friday, because they wanted to UP me to $79.99 for a 3rd year. It's just not worth that much to me. I can't find ANY promo code that works, much less another $20 a year one. I wish I could.

I might have to wait until Black Friday, when they MIGHT have a $20~ deal.

My $20 a year for the last two years Peacock premium sub expired last week Friday, because they wanted to UP me to $79.99 for a 3rd year. It's just not worth that much to me. I can't find ANY promo code that works, much less another $20 a year one. I wish I could.

I might have to wait until Black Friday, when they MIGHT have a $20~ deal.
They when I received mine.

As much as I prefer streaming, Peacock sucks most of the time, Big Ten and Sunday Night Football is the only time I use it.

So you're saying it laid an egg?

1726628680091.png

If live football is all you watch on Peacock you might want to look for deals on the ad supported version.
I already posted that, have the $20 year special, that is with ads.

If they do not have a similar deal, I will drop the service.

There is not one show I watch from NBC or any of the Universal cable channels (new content on them is pretty limited anyways).

Last edited:
But aren't they burning through cash? Revolving credit is helpful, but they still have to pay the interest. And they aren't in the position to acquire more debt.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Is it us, or is it them? (Hopper or network?)

More and more streaming FAST channels on DISH