DVR Upgrade issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vev46

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
West Virginia
I am unsure which DVR receiver I should buy in upgrading from my existing H20 receiver. I am unsure about the differences between the HR20, HR21, HR22. DTV offered me a free DVR upgrade, but they will not ship it to me for self-installation. They said they HAVE to ship it to an installer, since it's not replacing the same model as I presently have. I found it curious that they'd rather pay an installer than allow me to install, which I've done in the past. I have the required SWM 5LNB & power inserter for my SlimLine. Suggesting to them that I may switch to DISH didn't seem to do any good. Also, I bought the RF-capable remote for my H20 receiver, and I wonder which DVR's it will control.

All of those models are functionally the same except for the following:
HR20-100 has a 320 GB HD, HR20-700 has 300GB, these also have the OTA tuner built in, HR21-x has 320GB HD, HR22 and HR23 have 500GB HDs. The HR23 also has the BBCs built in. All are also RF capable.

DirecTV requires an installer because they think this will reduce the number of trouble calls.

You may have the correct dish installed but it may not be aimed correctly to receive the HD's. Just let them do their job, you wil be happy with it when they are done.

When I upgraded from a H20 to a HR20 over two years ago, they had an installer bring the DVR (this was before they were available from retail outlets). He handed the box to me and called in the activation while I hooked it up. He was quite happy to be out the door in less than 15 minutes.

Also keep in mind you will NOT get a specific model delivered by a tech, it can be any of the 4 available no matter what anyone tells you.

If you want a HR22/HR23 you would need to aquire it on your own for about $199 + install charges.

Also keep in mind you will NOT get a specific model delivered by a tech, it can be any of the 4 available no matter what anyone tells you.

If you want a HR22/HR23 you would need to aquire it on your own for about $199 + install charges.

If he's gonna get it his self he may as well install it and call it in to be activated.
They will do this when you get it from a local Box store.
Keep in mind your paying the price from the store, no discounts available from D*.
In this case there would not be any install charges.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

3 or 5 LNB?

Local channel lost?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts