Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I own a DirecTivo HD DVR. Is the R15 the same as DirecTivo HD DVR?

1- Are these MPEG-4 compatible or do we have to upgrade once again?
2- How big is the Hard Disk?

Nope. The H20 will be the MPEG-4 DVR (short for HR20-250, supposedly). The R15 compares to the R10, minus the Tivo OS.

hancox said:
Nope. The H20 will be the MPEG-4 DVR (short for HR20-250, supposedly). The R15 compares to the R10, minus the Tivo OS.
Nope. The H20 is merely an HD mpeg4 reciever.

I'll be holding on to my HD-Tivos as long as absolutely possible. First, I don't want to lose the Tivo interface. Second, when I'm upgraded, I want it to be because D* is motivated to upgrade me. Eventually there will come a time when D* will be highly motivated for me to upgrade to MPEG4 - that's when I think I'll get the best deal for two dishes, 3 HDTivos and 2 HD receivers.

As far as I'm concerned, D*'s (pre-MPEG4) mega-marketing blitz about 1500 HD channels obligates them to upgrade any investment made in D* HD to MPEG4 at no charge.

hancox said:
bah - got the long HR2-250, but not the short one. damn you vurbano :)
Im sorry. What is the name of this Mpeg4 DVR thing going to be? Does anyone know for certain?

CPanther95 said:
I'll be holding on to my HD-Tivos as long as absolutely possible. First, I don't want to lose the Tivo interface. Second, when I'm upgraded, I want it to be because D* is motivated to upgrade me. Eventually there will come a time when D* will be highly motivated for me to upgrade to MPEG4 - that's when I think I'll get the best deal for two dishes, 3 HDTivos and 2 HD receivers.

As far as I'm concerned, D*'s (pre-MPEG4) mega-marketing blitz about 1500 HD channels obligates them to upgrade any investment made in D* HD to MPEG4 at no charge.

Its going to be interesting. What if D* rolls into NC next year and says upgrade now with this deal or forever hold your piece? i.e pay full price later? I would like to wait as well, but the curiosity of seeing the new PQ I think will overwhelm that.

CPanther95 said:
I want it to be because D* is motivated to upgrade me. Eventually there will come a time when D* will be highly motivated for me to upgrade to MPEG4 - that's when I think I'll get the best deal for two dishes, 3 HDTivos and 2 HD receivers.
Maybe around August 2006 for NFLST-SF?

vurbano said:
Its going to be interesting. What if D* rolls into NC next year and says upgrade now with this deal or forever hold your piece? i.e pay full price later? I would like to wait as well, but the curiosity of seeing the new PQ I think will overwhelm that.

I doubt that will happen. They are likely interested in a stretched out upgrade process for the existing HD subs. That also means minimal, if any MPEG4 national HD channels until they want to accelerate the process. When that happens, I'm hoping (and expecting) that they will fully handle the upgrade, unlike now where subs are requesting an upgrade.

Without a free (no $49 or $99 dish fee) upgrade, I'd consider their pre-HD marketing blitz "bait & switch". You can't entice HD subscribers, at a time when only MPEG2 hardware is available, with promises of a radical increase in HD programming in the near future - then charge those same customers to changeout all their equipment to receive those channels. Personally, I think that should hold true, even for 4 HD-LILs in your market, since the "1500" channel claim was clearly referring to HD-LILs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New HD Channels Anytime Soon???

Direct Tivo will can not see satty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts