DP34 Grounding Question

rthomp03

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
St. Peters, MO
For the installers out there:
Is it a suitable ground for the 3 lines coming in to just ground the DP34 or should they go through a ground block prior to entering the DP34? Thanks.

....even though most of the DP34 documentation I've seen says it's ok to ground at the switch; as per Dish...not UL :p

Thta's correct..The manual states that the switch itself may be grounded to an acceptable NEC ground source..
If the ground is not the actual house meter base ground wire I use a GND block..
eitehr way you ground the thing if a strong enough voltage spike hits the house ,the switch is going to get trashed anyway...

You must be reading an old manual, because it is not stated in the new ones that the DP34 can be used instead of a ground block.
ok....But there is nothing that states the switch CANNOT be connected directly to a GND either.....
The Grounding block does nothing anyway that any form of resistor would not do ..
I found and intersting link..While it does not deal specifically with satellite installs the link does answer many questions we as installers may have..
http://www.pfeiffereng.com/Principals of Electrical Grounding.pdf

Who says so?.....Dish? The NEC?..Is it a fire code violation?
I try to stay up on Dish's specs and pretty much follow them at least in spirit if not to the letter..So, there ya have it. I do not know if it's a Dish spec or not...

Who says so?.....Dish? The NEC?..Is it a fire code violation?
I try to stay up on Dish's specs and pretty much follow them at least in spirit if not to the letter..So, there ya have it. I do not know if it's a Dish spec or not...

I kept this email just cause this question comes up about once every 4 months here. The new manuals have the ground block line removed, but older ones still show it.

Dish Tech said:
Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your recent email.

Hopefully this helps and gives you some information.

A multi-dish switch can NOT take the place of a ground block. The following instructions apply to a ground block only.

You may want to install the ground block onto the side of the building, or on some other sturdy structure near the satellite dish. Make sure that the location is stable, and that you fasten the ground block tightly to the surface. As stated in Article 820-40 of the National Electrical Code (NEC), locate the ground block as close as possible to the power entry ground.

Mount the ground block so that its connections are horizontal. This helps keep moisture from leaking into the block. Using the shortest path possible, run the coaxial cable(s) from the LNBF(s) to the input(s) on the ground block.

Put a drip loop in each cable to allow moisture to drip from the cable before it runs into the ground block.

Run the ground wire to the power entry ground of the building in accordance with the National Electrical Code (NEC) and all local electrical codes.
A ground wire must always be a single piece of wire. Never splice two wires together for a ground. Corrosion and weathering can lead to a poor connection at the splice, making the ground ineffective and dangerous. If you cut the ground wire too short, replace it with a single wire cut to the correct length.

Thank you,

Amanda xxxxxxx

Executive Office of Dish Network

Direct:xxxxxxxxxx

Email: xxxxxxx@echostar.com

Is a settlement with Tivo in the works?

DN 811 and issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)