Does 922 still shut down every day?

_klk_

Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
San Francisco
Hi all,

I'm currently using a VIP722. It has one major flaw that I don't like, which is that it shuts down every day to download guide updates. Does the 922 have the same issue, or can it stay on 24/7?

Thanks!

Your unit should not shut down. If the STB is in use at download time, the download should skip/ resked itself.

Yes the 922 still updates itself late at night, normally at 3:00 a.m. you can change the time of the update to a time when you know that the unit will not be used. also if you want the unit to be on when you turn your tv on then just set an auto tune timer to a channel you normally view when you are getting ready for the day/night.

Your unit should not shut down. If the STB is in use at download time, the download should skip/ resked itself.

It should yes, but it doesn't. Once the predetermined download time is reached, it will give you a countdown letting you know it will be shutting down. You have the option to skip the download, but if left unattended - you would find the receiver turned off when you return to it.

As someone mentioned though, you could always set the download time for... say 3am, and then set an autotune timer to turn it back on at 3:30 to minimize disruption if you have the need for 24/7 TV for some odd reason.

It should yes, but it doesn't. Once the predetermined download time is reached, it will give you a countdown letting you know it will be shutting down. You have the option to skip the download, but if left unattended - you would find the receiver turned off when you return to it.

As someone mentioned though, you could always set the download time for... say 3am, and then set an autotune timer to turn it back on at 3:30 to minimize disruption if you have the need for 24/7 TV for some odd reason.

This is the workaround I have tried on the 722, but it doesn't work. I need the receiver to be open 24/7 without human intervention for business purposes.

This is the workaround I have tried on the 722, but it doesn't work. I need the receiver to be open 24/7 without human intervention for business purposes.

well if it doesn't update each night then you will encounter a second problem when you come to the end of the program guide that had downloaded. it will then ask if you want to download the listings. the update only takes about 5 minutes, if that. do you not have a time during the day that your business is slow? if you don't then let me in on that, i might need to change professions! :D:D:D

i would just set an autotune timer for shortly after the reboot. that is really your only option that i can think of for you.

Dish/switch issues...getting frustrated

5 things I ***LIKE*** about the DISH VIP 922

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)