diy network "HD" squish-o-vision

If you have the format set to "normal" all SD channels will look like that (box in a box). If you change to stretch or partial zoom then it fills the screen

if you do 3 minutes after thats still part of the "default" and still will drop the padding if back to back. 5 minutes after or 2 minutes before fixes that

The news always starts early...thats just a given

DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, back to square one, again! :eek:

Heck with it! I'll do it tomorrow...

Thank you...

:)

dwarren2 said:
It's got to be something on your end. We have been watching HOH and HI for years and have seen no problems.
Check your TV's settings. Could be Zoom, Picture, etc on the remote. Use the format button on your Dish remote (*) to cycle through aspect ratios.
Check Menu 6 7 to see what your HDTV setup. Make sure it's set for 1080i and 16x9
Under Preferences - Guide Format make sure that HD only is selected on the bottom right. That only effects channels that are inboth SD and HD

No really, DIY has horrible HD period, well atleast all the shows I watch on there.

DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, back to square one, again! :eek:

Heck with it! I'll do it tomorrow...

Thank you...

:)

There is a way to set the "defaults" so when you hit the record button and it kicks you to the 2nd screen to verify if its one time, new, all, etc then it will say 2 min before and whatever you set the default too. Its up to you if you want it to start 2 minutes early or run 5 minutes late. Either way will be of the "padding defaults" and force back to back shows to find a different viewing time. If you record the news you could even set that to end on time because usually the news (at least here in Minneapolis) is done about 2 minutes before end time (5:28, 6:28, 6:58). Or you can change the end time (5 minutes as example) without removing the timer and then redoing it. I've done that before. Just go through each timer and change it to say 5 minutes end. Then the receiver will go through and redo all the timers for that show (and move them around so no conflicts)

Hopefully someone can chime in about how to change the defaults....maybe I can check the manual

I've discovered a new problem with recording. I think..

The system seems to remember that I had previously recorded a show even though I erased the shows and deleted the timers.

The first recordings were all dorked up with one to three minutes truncated on every single recording thus rendering them useless.
So I erased them and the timers that recorded them. I then created new timers.

Now in my guide I see those shows that I want to re-record a second time, except with longer times (an extra 5 minutes tacked on) but the shows list in the guide with a red X that they are being skipped. :confused:

Another very annoying problem. Sometimes I'll tune in something cool at random and I'll rewind then press record. It will say "Do you want to record the remainder of this program? and I hit yet.
It starts recording but it stops recording at the listed end time, say 8:30pm even though the show may run over 3 minutes to 8:33. :mad:
And when it's done you can NOT rewind that channel any more. It will only allow you to rewind to the point where the recording ended.
Catching the last of a show this way, impossible! :mad:

Last night I stumbled upon Biography for The Munsters, I tuned to it like 2:01am so it was just getting started. I hit record right away, I really wanted that show. It recorded but because the guide listed it at ending at 3:00am, BOOM! so stopped the recording, right at 3:00am even though it actually went to like 3:02 or 3:03am.. There was nothing I could do to extend the time, I knew during that whole hour that the recording was doomed to truncation... :mad:

Why can't you just simply hit RECORD and it just rolls until you hit STOP? THAT hacks me off!! :mad:
I like the CONCEPT of the "record until end of show" feature but it totally fails in function because soooo many networks have to be JERKS and run their shows beyond the listed times!
Come to think of it, why can't Dish just send the proper times in the guide? WE all know the shows run screwy start and stop times, if we know it, and we can figure it out, certainly they can. Even TitanTV lists the History Channel shows start and end times with the extra minutes. Check TitanTV.com for any History Channel show that starts at 10pm.. It will say the show is one hour and one minute long, starts at 10pm, ends at 11:01pm. Next show will list as 1 hour long starting at 11:01pm and ending at 12:01am. etc... They can do it, why can't Dish?

I'm guessing that most of these things are happening because I'm an idiot. This thing is alien to me and radically different than anything I've ever used before. I had never touched a Dish tuner until a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
There is a way to set the "defaults" so when you hit the record button and it kicks you to the 2nd screen to verify if its one time, new, all, etc then it will say 2 min before and whatever you set the default too. Its up to you if you want it to start 2 minutes early or run 5 minutes late. Either way will be of the "padding defaults" and force back to back shows to find a different viewing time. If you record the news you could even set that to end on time because usually the news (at least here in Minneapolis) is done about 2 minutes before end time (5:28, 6:28, 6:58). Or you can change the end time (5 minutes as example) without removing the timer and then redoing it. I've done that before. Just go through each timer and change it to say 5 minutes end. Then the receiver will go through and redo all the timers for that show (and move them around so no conflicts)

Hopefully someone can chime in about how to change the defaults....maybe I can check the manual

Ooopsy...... Too late.. I've already gone in and deleted all the timers two or three times and redone them as many times.

Then I noticed that everything is wrong for next week. I finally realized it's DST coming up. I am hoping that the tuner will fix all those wrong times in the list after the time change Sunday.
as usual, I'm drowning in stupid and thrashing about..

Now in my guide I see those shows that I want to re-record a second time, except with longer times (an extra 5 minutes tacked on) but the shows list in the guide with a red X that they are being skipped
because you probably said "new" and they are no longer new it skips them. You can unskip the ones you want. In the list (2nd pic) you can hilite one and unskip it. Very easily done

Sometimes I'll tune in something cool at random and I'll rewind then press record. It will say "Do you want to record the remainder of this program? and I hit yet.
It starts recording but it stops recording at the listed end time, say 8:30pm even though the show may run over 3 minutes to 8:33.
when you hit record there is an option (if I remember right) to extend it a few minutes. Otherwise it stops at the end time (no padding)

Why can't you just simply hit RECORD and it just rolls until you hit STOP?
it aint a VCR. ;)

Come to think of it, why can't Dish just send the proper times in the guide? WE all know the shows run screwy start and stop times, if we know it, and we can figure it out, certainly they can. Even TitanTV lists the History Channel shows start and end times with the extra minutes. Check TitanTV.com for any History Channel show that starts at 10pm.. It will say the show is one hour and one minute long, starts at 10pm, ends at 11:01pm. Next show will list as 1 hour long starting at 11:01pm and ending at 12:01am. etc... They can do it, why can't Dish?
because Dish is the only one who cant get it right. See the OTA programs that run long...same issue usually.

This is where the press dvr x3 then go to thw show that's being skipped. Press info and then go up to the Restore button and select tha. Program will be recorded.

because you probably said "new" and they are no longer new it skips them. You can unskip the ones you want. In the list (2nd pic) you can hilite one and unskip it. Very easily done

I'll have to give that a try.

when you hit record there is an option (if I remember right) to extend it a few minutes. Otherwise it stops at the end time (no padding)

TADA!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!! I PAID ATTENTION when I just pressed record and saw an "options" button that allows to extend the time! BINGO!!

it aint a VCR. ;)

That's for sure!!

because Dish is the only one who cant get it right. See the OTA programs that run long...same issue usually.

Sigh........ :(

Why can't you just simply hit RECORD and it just rolls until you hit STOP? THAT hacks me off!! :mad:

it aint a VCR. ;)
Along with the option to extend the recording a few minutes past the end time, there is also an option to "Stop Recording Manually", so there is your VCR-like behavior. :)

Along with the option to extend the recording a few minutes past the end time, there is also an option to "Stop Recording Manually", so there is your VCR-like behavior. :)

OH!!!!!!!

Totally missed that one!

Thank you again!! :)

Local new at 10PM goes to 35 after but watch it a couple times usually in most areas there are 2 minutes of ads and a short what is know as a bumper (in broadcast biz).

Getting back to this thread's original topic, the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G is deliberately done by some HD channels when showing an older 4:3 format show to fill a 19:9 screen. Some channels that come to mind are TNT-HD, AMC-HD and Travel Channel-HD. Proof would be easily seen on TNT-HD when showing a 4:3 show such as "Charmed". The picture is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D but the TNT logo ("TNT" inside a circle) appears normal. TNT-HD S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-S the program's picture and then superimposes the unstretched TNT logo on the screen. If the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G occurred farther downstream, such as improper settings on the sat-receiver or TV set, the logo's circle would also be S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D to an oval. Personally, I don't like the practice. I'd rather see an undistorted picture with black bars on the sides.

B-A-L-T-Z-E-R (OOPS, I mean Baltzer)

At one point there was a modified strechovision. The middle 50% of the screen would be in normal aspect, but the 25% on either side would be streched to fill the hd screen.

Getting back to this thread's original topic, the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G is deliberately done by some HD channels when showing an older 4:3 format show to fill a 19:9 screen. Some channels that come to mind are TNT-HD, AMC-HD and Travel Channel-HD. Proof would be easily seen on TNT-HD when showing a 4:3 show such as "Charmed". The picture is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D but the TNT logo ("TNT" inside a circle) appears normal. TNT-HD S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-S the program's picture and then superimposes the unstretched TNT logo on the screen. If the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G occurred farther downstream, such as improper settings on the sat-receiver or TV set, the logo's circle would also be S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D to an oval. Personally, I don't like the practice. I'd rather see an undistorted picture with black bars on the sides.

B-A-L-T-Z-E-R (OOPS, I mean Baltzer)

Exactly.

At one point there was a modified strechovision. The middle 50% of the screen would be in normal aspect, but the 25% on either side would be streched to fill the hd screen.

THIS, is the effect I hate. This is the Black Hole Effect. When someone moves from center screen to the side of the screen they look like they are getting sucked into a black hole. I hate this form of stretching most of all.

I do have to make note of stretching that I've seen on another channel that is fairly well done.

HUB. It's a kid's channel that primarily plays cartoons. But I noticed they also play the old 60's Batman show. It is an HD channel.
I watched a few Batman shows the other night and they filled my 16:9 screen but it wasn't distorted like most others do. I ~ALWAYS~ leave my tuner set to "normal" for both HD and SD because I prefer to see things in their native resolution and format when possible. I assume they applied some very minimal stretching and a little zooming too. I know that there is an option in the tuner itself to do that to anything you like but I don't like it, it doesn't do it well and I won't use it.
But someone at HUB got it right, it looks good and it's not grossly distorted like most other channels are.

One other thing I want to say about "HD" that is being broadcast today by just about everyone.

I do not consider most of what is on TV as true HD. A lot of it is in 16:9 format but it's low grade, grainy, highly compressed and full of compression artifacts.
Case in point, most of the reality shows. They are using inexpensive 16:9 cameras because they get slammed around by angry people, rained on, sprayed with water, hit by trees, etc.. So they use disposable cameras they can afford to lose.
The picture is far better than older stuff that was shot in 4:3 that was meant to be aired on old school 4:3 NTSC systems but it still leaves much to be desired. Even so, I'll take the 16:9 or the 4:3 source any day. Most 4:3 stuff looks out of focus because it's such low quality to begin with and it doesn't upscale to HD screens worth a flip.. :(

Stuff that gives you ~excellent~ broadcast quality is stuff shot in IMAX or by SERIOUS, professional videographers with top of the line, REAL cameras, like the people from Natgeo and PBS. And not the reality cr*p, I mean the wildlife/nature stuff. They do it right. 70mm movies converted can look really nice, especially older movies filmed in 65mm and 70mm.

But, it is what it is.. They do what they do and there's nothing anyone can do about it. We just crawled out of the stone age of video and now that we are working towards better cameras, broadcast quality is lagging behind but the real problem is content. Nothing of any real value is being produced these days..

One small storm and out it goes!

One Hopper and Three Joeys wiring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)