diy network "HD" squish-o-vision

Dee, you are a LONG WINDED soul. I've gotten a head-ache reading all this.;)

Hi guys,
I really could choke those people that don't run shows on proper times. I have an atomic clock on my desk and I'm really annoyed if any of my clocks on anything I own is off by even one second. I have my PC's set to get their time from NTP servers every four hours (to be nice) but I'm looking at purchasing an atomic clock that hooks into your LAN and provides time to everything connected to it.
Wow, I am impressed. I thought I was the only one who was so obsessed with the correct time (though I am always running late for everything). I seriously doubt you have an actual atomic clock on your desk, most of them are too big to actually fit on a desk.

When I was a kid, we were on vacation out west and I pestered my parents to visit the NBS laboratories in Boulder, CO (now called NIST) to see the real atomic clocks that were the source of the WWV and WWVH signals I was incessantly synchronizing our clocks and watches to. It was quite educational to say the least.

Getting back to this thread's original topic, the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G is deliberately done by some HD channels when showing an older 4:3 format show to fill a 19:9 screen. Some channels that come to mind are TNT-HD, AMC-HD and Travel Channel-HD. Proof would be easily seen on TNT-HD when showing a 4:3 show such as "Charmed". The picture is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D but the TNT logo ("TNT" inside a circle) appears normal. TNT-HD S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-S the program's picture and then superimposes the unstretched TNT logo on the screen. If the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G occurred farther downstream, such as improper settings on the sat-receiver or TV set, the logo's circle would also be S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D to an oval. Personally, I don't like the practice. I'd rather see an undistorted picture with black bars on the sides.

B-A-L-T-Z-E-R (OOPS, I mean Baltzer)
I hate this practice with a passion. So much so that I registered a domain name (stretchovision.com) but I haven't given it the care and feeding it deserves.

This stuff looks bad enough, imagine how bad it looks on my mother-in-law's TV. The show, already stretched from 4x3 to 16x9 by the HD channel, is then stretched again because she can't stand anything with black bars on the side, every time she sees black bars she hits the button then it stays that way. Double stretch is an abomination.

Wow, I am impressed. I thought I was the only one who was so obsessed with the correct time (though I am always running late for everything). I seriously doubt you have an actual atomic clock on your desk, most of them are too big to actually fit on a desk.

When I was a kid, we were on vacation out west and I pestered my parents to visit the NBS laboratories in Boulder, CO (now called NIST) to see the real atomic clocks that were the source of the WWV and WWVH signals I was incessantly synchronizing our clocks and watches to. It was quite educational to say the least.

No no, I don't own an actual atomic clock, I have a wall clock that says "Atomic Clock" on it but it's just a radio receiver that gets the time from WWV in Colorado..

Getting back to this thread's original topic, the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G is deliberately done by some HD channels when showing an older 4:3 format show to fill a 19:9 screen. Some channels that come to mind are TNT-HD, AMC-HD and Travel Channel-HD. Proof would be easily seen on TNT-HD when showing a 4:3 show such as "Charmed". The picture is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D but the TNT logo ("TNT" inside a circle) appears normal. TNT-HD S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-S the program's picture and then superimposes the unstretched TNT logo on the screen. If the S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G occurred farther downstream, such as improper settings on the sat-receiver or TV set, the logo's circle would also be S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D to an oval. Personally, I don't like the practice. I'd rather see an undistorted picture with black bars on the sides.

B-A-L-T-Z-E-R (OOPS, I mean Baltzer)
Typo I guess 16X9 instead of 19.

I know one thing's for sure, I hate it when people set clocks 5 minutes fast. My mother has been doing this for all of my life. She says it's to help her get to places on time but I always ask her why not just set the time correctly and leave 5 minutes earlier???

One small storm and out it goes!

One Hopper and Three Joeys wiring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)