Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

Many of the ESPN on-air talent were promoting DirecTV alternatives going into the weekend.

If it's not back tonight, it'll either trigger enough of a watershed movement in cancellations to get DirecTV to outright cave or be the biggest sign that this will be a very long term dispute IMO.

Both options are pretty self-fulfilling, unfortunately. Stick to their guns and accelerate already significant churn, or pay for it and barrel towards a unsustainable service - an outcome many traditional providers are headed towards anyways as they still continue to struggle to figure out how to pivot to streaming while preserving things like their fee structure.

I wonder if this dispute will factor into the FCC's considerations when it comes to ending ETFs.
Whatis ETF? Exchange Traded Fund?

Does anyone remember the DiSH dispute with the dueling crawl messages?

Does anyone remember the DiSH dispute with the dueling crawl messages?
Yes, it was back in October of 2022 and it only lasted a couple of days, new contract had every channel unlike the deal they would do with Spectrum the following year.

Consider this a rumor, that I might of heard from work-

Finding out a little more, Disney is not asking for a increase in per sub fees, what they are asking for is a legal agreement, which consists of they(DirecTV) will not have a problem with the new ESPN streaming service, Venu has not been brought up.

Other providers already agreed to that in the last deal they signed.

Another rumor, cancellations since this started, are in the six figures already.

Finding out a little more, Disney is not asking for a increase in per sub fees, what they are asking for is a legal agreement, which consists of they(DirecTV) will not have a problem with the new ESPN streaming service, Venu has not been brought up.

Another rumor, cancellations since this started, are in the six figures already.
the very least the OTA channels buy law that are pay to carry should not be allowed have legal BS part of the deal or be tied to other cable channels.

Yes that rumor has been out there since the beginning. I think the wording in the quote was worse than that though and basically said DTV couldn't participate in any lawsuits against Disney.

• Sad
Reactions: lordodogg
ATVA Urges the FCC to Grant DIRECTV’s Good Faith Complaint Against Disney

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Television Alliance (ATVA) issued a statement in support of DIRECTV’s complaint filed at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) against Disney, which contends that Disney has violated the FCC’s good faith mandates by predicating any licensing agreement on DIRECTV waiving legal claims on Disney’s past, current or future anticompetitive actions – including its ongoing packaging and minimum penetration demands.

“The FCC recently clarified that the one thing you cannot do in retransmission consent negotiations is prevent the other side from filing FCC complaints. This makes sense – without such a rule, broadcasters would never be held accountable for any anticompetitive activity. Yet this is exactly what Disney has done here,” said Michelle Bowling, spokesperson for the American Television Alliance. “And make no mistake: there is anticompetitive activity at the heart of this case. Disney wants MVPDs like DIRECTV to carry and pay for all its networks – even the less popular ones – or face financial penalties. MVPD customers are thus forced to pay for the ‘fat bundle’ with no say over what they want or do not want. However, Disney itself will offer its most popular sports programming at cheaper rates, without unwanted networks. That’s wrong – and the courts and regulators should do something about it.”

To learn more about ATVA’s work on these issues and their impact on the American consumer, visit About The Issue - American Television Alliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is, if this goes on for months, who does it hurt worse.

Disney- Who will lose per sub fees, but gain some of them back by subscribers switching services.

And they are still collecting per sub fees from 60M subscribers that all the other providers have(DirecTV has 10M)

By the way, if subscribers take up DirecTV’s offer, like Sling for example, DirecTV loses $30 and Disney gains back the per sub fee, just not a good plan.

DirecTV-How many subscribers will/can they lose, in just this thread alone, we have two subscribers try out YTTV and like it better, how many more can they lose, because once they are gone, unlikely they will come back.

Ultimately no matter what DIRECTV chooses they will lose.

DISNEY is looking to sell directly and cut out the middleman (DIRECTV and others). by having them sign away their rights just helps DISNEY more in this regard.

There is no win win.

Ultimately no matter what DIRECTV chooses they will lose.
Yep, it is a disaster for them, if this goes a long time, they will keep losing subscribers, which will push them ever closer to unprofitability.
DISNEY is looking to sell directly and cut out the middleman (DIRECTV and others). by having them sign away their rights just helps DISNEY more in this regard.
I still do not understand why this is a big deal, two other channels, that receive high per sub fees and better ratings then ESPN, CBS/NBC, offer their content on their streaming services, both On Demand and a Live Channel.

Heck, Paramount+ has almost 70M subscribers, providers do not seem to be upset over them.

ESPN should be allowed to sell it anyway they wish, it is their product, they are paying all the rights fees to the Sports Leagues.
There is no win win.
There is for all the other providers, streaming and Traditional.

If this goes up till late December, DirecTV will be in major trouble, based on the ratings the College Football Playoffs received.

They missed the deadline. Next weekend will affect more people as College has more interesting games and MNF isn't on ESPN+ and ABC.

DTV looks to be holding to resetting the market. Disney is trying to hold out on guaranteed subscriber fees. No clue who will blinks first but if DTV wins, it completely changes everything for all the distributors as Disney will have to offer the same to them.

Wonderful, now that I am on the ESPN App (espn+ ?)
I am now getting "Buffering" at various times ...
Have Never got Buffering for any other Apps.

• Sad
Reactions: AZ.
Wonderful, now that I am on the ESPN App (espn+ ?)
I am now getting "Buffering" at various times ...
Have Never got Buffering for any other Apps.
As usual, Streaming sux.

When you Need it, its Not reliable.
I would think that 600 mbbs should be WAY more than enough bandwidth.

Been streaming now for Years and have NEVER had this happen.

I saw 4 snaps for the Jets AGAIN this year ....

Do I turn it OFF ? :mad:

I’ve finally decided to get the 3 week free trial of YTTV. Let’s hope this is all over after those 3 weeks…

Does not look like it
That would be Very hard, seeing the Debates are typically on ALL Major Networks.

People were talking about not being able to get the Debate on ABC (for those that have lost the network) but it is on the rest of the networks as well.

Yeah, as of now the debate will be simulcasted by CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS along with:
202 CNN
306 Merit Street
307 NewsNation
329 BET
329-1 BET West
342 The Grio
346 BBC News
349 Newsmax
351 C-SPAN2
353 Bloomberg
356 MSNBC
358 CNN International
359 FOX Business
360 FOX News Channel
402 Univision East
403 Univision West
406 Telemundo East
407 Telemundo West
418 NTN24
419 CNN en Espanol
2148 RTVI
4009 Scripps News

Some Nexstar owned CW affiliates like KTLA, WGN and KRON will be carrying it too, along with some independent stations like WFMZ Allentown and WHDH Boston.

It will also be streaming for free on ABC News Live, NBC News Now, Live Now from FOX, CBS News 24/7, Black Star Network, Newsmax2, News 12 NY, OAN Plus, Univision Noticias 24/7, Telemundo Noticias Ahora, Al Jazeera English, Sky News International, ABC News Australia and others.

Reactions: lordodogg

Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again