Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

Hmm, imagine that, right before the Biggest game yet (of this year)

Hope your right, but if not, it's just TV, right ?

Remember, they went down right before thier First game of the year.
It's been the rumor all along that it would be done before the MNF game.

If DTV doesn't get it back by tonight, a lot of people will cancel and move on. If streaming works for them, then they won't be back. The only people I see ever looking to comeback would be people with poor bandwidth or those who need RSNs. For people who need RSNs, it is the best option (DTVstream is cheaper option).

I've used Youtube TV for 1 week and I haven't had any issues. 4k College games were great and 1080p NFL games were better than DTV picture. I think I may be switching for good but have 2 weeks left to decide.

DTV needs to hold their ground on this. Let Disney sweat it out. They need the money just as badly.
Disney will gain back some of the per sub fees when subscribers switch.

DirecTV will lose those subscribers, probably forever, based on their future prospects.

If the contract stoped in April, then yes, DirecTV could of put up a bigger fight, go even months without much subscriber loss, but the double whammy of College Football ( especially the SEC, which gets great ratings) and MNF is just too much for DirecTV to put up a fight.

Disney will gain back some of the per sub fees when subscribers switch.

DirecTV will lose those subscribers, probably forever, based on their future prospects.

If the contract stoped in April, then yes, DirecTV could of put up a bigger fight, go even months without much subscriber loss, but the double whammy of College Football ( especially the SEC, which gets great ratings) and MNF is just too much for DirecTV to put up a fight.
The whole cable tv market is collapsing. Eventually the money will dry up.

The whole cable tv market is collapsing. Eventually the money will dry up.
I know that, right now, referring to the immediate future, the next 2-3 years before DirecTV becomes unprofitable, every subscriber lost brings that date closer.

So why over pay and still expedite the process.
Who has said they will have to overpay except for DirecTV, the rumors I heard was Disney has not asked for any increase, largely give them the same deal they gave Charter last year, even get rid of some channels ( they are going away anyways).

Considering ESPN just announced a price increase , that will expedite things even more, again, too many options to switch to.

Who has said they will have to overpay except for DirecTV, the rumors I heard was Disney has not asked for any increase, largely give them the same deal they gave Charter last year, even get rid of some channels ( they are going away anyways).

Considering ESPN just announced a price increase , that will expedite things even more, again, too many options to switch to.
Disney always wants more. They surely are not giving out discounts.

Disney always wants more. They surely are not giving out discounts.
No, did not offer any discounts, but no increases either.

Considering ESPN rights deals are going up ( really paid a lot more for College Football Playoffs and the new NBA deal), it is pretty amazing that are not asking for an increase.

People here excuse DirecTV when their prices go up, but not ESPN, when their expenses go up also.

No, did not offer any discounts, but no increases either.

Considering ESPN rights deals are going up ( really paid a lot more for College Football Playoffs and the new NBA deal), it is pretty amazing that are not asking for an increase.

People here excuse DirecTV when their prices go up, but not ESPN, when their expenses go up also.
Do we know what’s in the contract? I can’t believe there are no increases.

From what I understand, largely the same deal Charter received, even certain channels will be gone, Freeform, FXX, etc, which will help a little with per sub fees.

If they give a better deal to DirecTV, they will have to go back and offer Charter and Comcast the same deal, which would be idiotic on Disney’s part, since both have more subscribers ( about 13 Million each) then DirecTV ( about 10 Million).

This was from Carter

Among the key deal points:
  • In the coming months, the Disney+ Basic ad-supported offering will be provided to customers who purchase the Spectrum TV Select package, as part of a wholesale arrangement;
  • ESPN+ will be provided to Spectrum TV Select Plus subscribers;
  • The ESPN flagship direct-to-consumer service will be made available to Spectrum TV Select subscribers upon launch and;
  • Charter will maintain flexibility to offer a range of video packages at varying price points based upon different customer’s viewing preferences.
Charter also will use its significant distribution capabilities to offer Disney’s direct-to-consumer services to all of its customers – in particular its large broadband-only customer base – for purchase at retail rates. These include Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, as well as The Disney Bundle.

Effective immediately, Spectrum TV will provide its customers widespread access to a more curated lineup of 19 networks from The Walt Disney Company. Spectrum will continue to carry the ABC Owned Television Stations, Disney Channel, FX and the Nat Geo Channel, in addition to the full ESPN network suite. Networks that will no longer be included in Spectrum TV video packages are Baby TV, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo Wild, and Nat Geo Mundo.

DTV really needs the full Disney+ bundle with ads removed. Disney has moved almost all original programming to Disney+. Only offering basic Disney and ESPN, withouth Hulu, plus ads while you still need to pay for all the other channels that are now worthless, is going to push everyone away.

This was from Carter

DTV really needs the full Disney+ bundle with ads removed. Disney has moved almost all original programming to Disney+. Only offering basic Disney and ESPN, withouth Hulu, plus ads while you still need to pay for all the other channels that are now worthless, is going to push everyone away.
That Charter deal was not that good for them, here-

Analysts at LightShed Partners, in a July 16 blog, noted the report from Puck’s John Ourand indicates less than 10% of Charter’s roughly 9.5 million Signature Select video package customers are activating Disney+ and questioned if the operator’s vision for video is wrong.

“Charter is back to where it started, stuffing video offerings into its bundle that the vast majority of its consumers do not use, which hurts the price/value of the video bundle,” wrote analysts led by Richard Greenfield. Meanwhile, Disney is getting paid $3-4 per subscriber per month by Charter for all 9.5 million subscribers even though less than 1 million might be using it

That Charter deal was not that good for them, here-

Analysts at LightShed Partners, in a July 16 blog, noted the report from Puck’s John Ourand indicates less than 10% of Charter’s roughly 9.5 million Signature Select video package customers are activating Disney+ and questioned if the operator’s vision for video is wrong.

“Charter is back to where it started, stuffing video offerings into its bundle that the vast majority of its consumers do not use, which hurts the price/value of the video bundle,” wrote analysts led by Richard Greenfield. Meanwhile, Disney is getting paid $3-4 per subscriber per month by Charter for all 9.5 million subscribers even though less than 1 million might be using it

I know a lot of people didn't sign up for it but it doesn't make it a bad deal.

I think it is more insightful on the entire industry that people either have no clue they get it for free (included in whatever price increase they got) and are paying for it separately (which Disney loves) or the fact they don't even want it if it is free (Disney will hate this). Disney+ can't get people to sign up for free .... no wonder they lose money.

Adam Schefter is promoting other sources ahead of tonight's game.

View: https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1833160947298599106

Many of the ESPN on-air talent were promoting DirecTV alternatives going into the weekend.

If it's not back tonight, it'll either trigger enough of a watershed movement in cancellations to get DirecTV to outright cave or be the biggest sign that this will be a very long term dispute IMO.

So why over pay and still expedite the process.

Both options are pretty self-fulfilling, unfortunately. Stick to their guns and accelerate already significant churn, or pay for it and barrel towards a unsustainable service - an outcome many traditional providers are headed towards anyways as they still continue to struggle to figure out how to pivot to streaming while preserving things like their fee structure.

I wonder if this dispute will factor into the FCC's considerations when it comes to ending ETFs.

• Sad
Reactions: lordodogg

Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again