Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

As a (very recently) former DTV subsciber, let me warn you that switching to YTTV is dangerous. I thought the learning curve and hating not having numbers would have me back at DTV before the 3rd day of my 7 day trial, but alas, it actually was quite the opposite experience.

Ridiculously superior PQ, the ability to sort my favorites so that the 15ish channels I watch regularly show up at the top, and a better app experience (I travel a lot and watching from the road has been way easier).

If you, like Tom, are getting a great deal and everything you need, you should definitely keep DTV for as long as you can. If you're on the fence, it's worth a 7 day trial. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Reactions: Bruce and osu1991
I have decided to wait until later in the week to start the free trial so that I can watch Syracuse play Georgia Tech this weekend, if Disney and DIRECTV don't settle. I have tried YTTV in the past. If DIRECTV hasn't settled by next Monday, I will suspend the account. But my DIRECTV package is cheaper then YTTV, if they can settle.
I just signed up. 21 day trial plus $8 off for 4 montns, plus 30 day trial of 4k/unlimited streams and $4.99 for a year. Credit card also has $20 cash back for 3 months.

DTV may have just lost 2 customers. I have my own VPN setup, so 2 locations can bypass all the home/out of home crap that apps put in place. If there aren't any issues, the cost savings will be too good to pass up versus the advantages of having DTV.

This is a good excuse for me to try streaming. But I will just suspend the DIRECTV account. I got the my current deal last January, when I called DIRECTV and threatened to switch to streaming. They asked me what channels were important to me, and satisfied that with a Entertsinment plus Sports Pack package, and a $50 loyalty discount. It's very competitive with streaming. Assuming this dsipute is settled, I will probably stick with DIRECTV. We will see what next January brings when my current discount ends. Analyzing the satellites and guide data is a hobby I enjoy, and probably will continue even if I no longer have an account.

a little off topic but there use to be a chart that showed how much disney/espn and FS1 cost per TV customer

does anyone have that link

It would be nice if ESPN and all of their plethora of stupid sports channels could just go away forever and only people who are addicted to that nonsense would have to pay for it.

I'm guessing DirecTV will look for a similar deal like Charter got last year. Drop a handful of the repeat channels (FXX, Nat Geo Wild, Disney XD, Freeform) and include Disney +. It's been nearly a year and last week I finally activated my 'free' Disney + subscription from Charter. Looks just about as useless as the 'free' Max, and Paramount Plus subscription that I never use.

If that does happen, and the same group of channels are removed, I'll go out on a limb and say those channel don't have much longer for this world. No great loss, but I would rather have FXX with playing nothing but The Simpsons, King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers all day then anything that shows sports.

That Spectrum deal was horrible for actual fans of their content. Next day airings of Freeform's and FXX's originals still require a separate subscription to Hulu which is $17.99 for no ads, while Disney XD's first run anime isn't available at all on Disney+ or Hulu, and many of Disney Junior's first runs take a month or longer before they appear on Disney+, much of which do not get encore airings on Disney Channel, the same for Nat Geo Wild's first runs which do not air at all on Nat Geo TV. The bulk of 31 Nights of Halloween and 25 Days of Christmas involve 3rd party movies and specials that are not available on any of Disney's DTC platforms. Not to mention the Rankin/Bass streaming rights issue that affect both CBS and Freeform, so the only way to legally watch those popular specials are via traditional linear TV. (The VHS/DVD copies aren't the same since most of them contain the shorter edits from the 80s/90s)

DIRECTV also serves a lot of customers living in areas where unmetered low latency throttle free broadband isn't available. Yes StarLink and other sat based services are available, but they have their own set of issues when dealing with location based content.

ESPN isn't going anywhere, there's a reason why none of ESPN's channels were affected by that Spectrum jettison. Live sports are what advertisers consider DVR proof, so channels like CW, Ion, TruTV and even Nickelodeon and Disney, are getting into the game. And the Scripps and Gray OTA channels that picked up local rights that Bally shed are now charging providers retrans fees for ex-Ion and independent stations that used to use free must carry status. Now that they settled their differences with Comcast, Diamond actually now has a plan to emerge from bankruptcy with the NBA and NHL agreeing to lower payments, shedding of the Panthers, Pelicans, Mavericks, Stars and Ducks, and a new naming rights deal with FanDuel for the channels.

It would be nice if ESPN and all of their plethora of stupid sports channels could just go away forever and only people who are addicted to that nonsense would have to pay for it.
you know, we're all in this together. maybe you don't like sports, but there are a lot of people who do. There are a lot of people who don't like what you watch, but they aren't begrudging your opportunity to get that content. I could say "it would be nice WBD and their plethora of stupid reality channels could just go away forever and only people who are addicted to that nonsense would have to pay for it."

Everyone has a right to like what they like.

I’m watching FSU playing Boston Colllege on FUBO. The picture suck. Probably cancelled tomorrow try Hulu.

Reactions: Tom Speer
I’m watching FSU playing Boston Colllege on FUBO. The picture suck. Probably cancelled tomorrow try Hulu.
YouTube TV has been great, same quality as DTV
I just restarted my YTTV subscription, because of Football season ( should be the last time, since ESPN streaming starts up next year), the picture quality is so much better then when I left, back in January.

Reactions: lordodogg
That Spectrum deal was horrible for actual fans of their content. Next day airings of Freeform's and FXX's originals still require a separate subscription to Hulu which is $17.99 for no ads, while Disney XD's first run anime isn't available at all on Disney+ or Hulu, and many of Disney Junior's first runs take a month or longer before they appear on Disney+, much of which do not get encore airings on Disney Channel, the same for Nat Geo Wild's first runs which do not air at all on Nat Geo TV. The bulk of 31 Nights of Halloween and 25 Days of Christmas involve 3rd party movies and specials that are not available on any of Disney's DTC platforms. Not to mention the Rankin/Bass streaming rights issue that affect both CBS and Freeform, so the only way to legally watch those popular specials are via traditional linear TV. (The VHS/DVD copies aren't the same since most of them contain the shorter edits from the 80s/90s)

Not to mention, DIRECTV serves a lot of customers living in areas where unmetered low latency throttle free broadband isn't available. Yes StarLink and other sat based services are available, but they have their own set of issues when dealing with location based content.

ESPN isn't going anywhere, there's a reason why none of ESPN's channels were affected by that Spectrum jettison. Live sports are what advertisers consider DVR proof, so channels like CW, Ion, TruTV and even Nickelodeon and Disney, are getting into the game. And the Scripps and Gray OTA channels that picked up local rights that Bally shed are now charging providers retrans fees for ex-Ion and independent stations that used to use free must carry status. Now that they settled their differences with Comcast, Diamond actually now has a plan to emerge from bankruptcy with the NBA and NHL agreeing to lower payments, shedding of the Panthers, Pelicans, Mavericks, Stars and Ducks, and a new naming rights deal with FanDuel for the channels.
ESPN is planing to go DTC so that may really mess things up in the cable system.

• Sad
Reactions: lordodogg

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again