Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

jhetfield99

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
NW Indianapolis
Oh goody.
I guess this one had been kept under wraps -- so subscribers haven't yet seen anything ticking across the screen -- but apparently Disney's deal with Direct expires after this Saturday, and at least reportedly they aren't close.

I remember Disney's fight with Charter lasted 2 or 3 weeks of last football season.

Seeing the num of DirecTV subscribers is startling, used to be like 23 million, but isn't at all surprising.
I knew as soon as AT&T bought it, things would absolutely go to hell.
I'm still keeping the service, but who knows how much longer.

Reactions: lordodogg
the only thing in watch on ESPN in WNBA games, and ESPN deportes for MLB games

i rarly watch regular ESPN cause they never talk about baseball

This could cause me to leave.

DTV can't lose customers and Disney can't lose money.

This needs to happen but won't because it makes too much sense.

Disney/ESPN offers everything DTC.
DTV stops paying per sub and allows them to sell an add on for same DTC price (DTV gets paid a few dollars for the customer)
Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle is included for DTV

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

This could cause me to leave.

DTV can't lose customers and Disney can't lose money.

This needs to happen but won't because it makes too much sense.

Disney/ESPN offers everything DTC.
DTV stops paying per sub and allows them to sell an add on for same DTC price (DTV gets paid a few dollars for the customer)
Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle is included for DTV

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
So, If they go on strike, pull the signal (this is for D*).
Is the Streaming service still available ?
If you have to give your Provider to sign in, do they pull the signal for those that Are D* subs ?

Not going to affect me much if it does go down as I don't watch the channel unless a Game is on that I want to see ... that hasn't happened in a while now.
Sunday or Monday night football would be the only thing I might be watching ... (don't remember which night is which anymore)

So, If they go on strike, pull the signal (this is for D*).
Is the Streaming service still available ?
If you have to give your Provider to sign in, do they pull the signal for those that Are D* subs ?

)

It will affect all 3 versions of DTV.
You won't be able to log in online and watch it.

Only way to watch live would be if ESPN+ was simulcasting. Otherwise you would need to subscribe to another provider.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

It will affect all 3 versions of DTV.
You won't be able to log in online and watch it.

Only way to watch live would be if ESPN+ was simulcasting. Otherwise you would need to subscribe to another provider.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Fortunately, My College and Pro teams don't play on ESPN any more.

Reactions: zippyfrog
From what I am hearing they are still talking but still far away on things. I am being told Disney wants a whole lot more for a whole lot less.

I can't say if there will be an extension or not. But for those DIRECTV customers I hope they would continue working without harming their fans.

Disney could decide to allow it to stay on the air until next weekend. FSU plays Monday night and that will take a lot of eyes off ESPN. ESPN needs some return on the ACC contract.

They also could try to use that to leverage DTV. Next weekend isn't that big of an impact as the CFB schedule is lite. NFL has a big monday night game but it is also on ABC. The issue is the 2 teams are in O&O areas so it would not be on TV.

If it isn't on by the MNF game, it could be a long outage.

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again