Dish says I could get more distants

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Here is a weird one.

I use to use my lake house address for Dish because I qualified for Fox distants (along with Minneapolis locals). I moved to the Duluth DMA a while back and lost Fox distant :(

Now, for fun I typed in my lake house address and now it says I qualify for Fox AND CBS (see attached)

Wed Dec 08 07:04:51 MST 2004

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE
Congratulations! This address is eligible for the
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN Local Network Package

DISTANT NETWORK A LA CARTE
Congratulations! This address may be eligible for PART OF THE Distant Network A La Cartes. You may choose a maximum total of 2 (two) A La Carte networks (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX). You must be eligible to receive National PBS.

CBS FOX
A LA CARTE STATIONS: TIME ZONE:
New York CBS-WCBS Eastern
New York FOX-WNYW Eastern
Atlanta CBS-WGCL Eastern
Atlanta FOX-WAGA Eastern
Chicago CBS-WBBM Central
Chicago FOX-WFLD Central
Los Angeles CBS-KCBS Pacific
Los Angeles FOX-KTTV Pacific

What's funny is when I first had Fox distant (a couple years ago), there was no Grade B Fox near the house. 1/1/03, Fox Duluth put a translator in the area which according to Direct's site is Grade A. (and is real strong)
The CBS station has been in the area for 30+ years and has always been a grade B...but now Dish says I could get a CBS distant if I moved back.

How the heck can this happen? How can Dish say I can GAIN distants, but Direct still says "sorry...no dice".

I have the reverse, I get the distant nets(all but abc) on D* and only get CBS on E*and only got it because I requested CBS HD... go figure...but when I got D* I still had all distants on BUD if that makes any difference. Gonna go check my account and see what they say I'm eligable for now...

dfergie
check both Direct & Dish.....its just weird that all of a sudden, the CBS that has been in the area for 30+ years is no longer Grade B according to Dish but Direct says it is (I can pick it up pretty clear with the outdoor antenna)

obviously not

Direct's list says the following
ABC WDIO 27 Grade B (moderate signal)
CBS WCCO 12 Grade B (moderate signal)
NBC KBJR 35 Grade B (moderate signal)
FOX KQDS 39 Grade A (strong signal

yet I qualify for Fox & CBS?

same here...using the list above
27, 35 & 39 are all translators on the same tower...about 20 miles from me
27 is at 11.2KW
35 is at 9.18KW
39 is at 14.3KW

12 is a 316KW (max power) but is probably 45 miles away.

There is a CBS on 33 (same tower as the other 3) but its a whopping 587 watts!!

We have a Rat Shack VU190 and preamp and 12 comes in great and the rest do now that the tress lost their leaves :)

Sorry to spoil the party, but the President has just signed SHVERA (see my thread in the General forum). Since Duluth is an LIL market, that means no new SD distants customers as of today, though HD distants will be available in the "analog white area". Of course, "significantly viewed" will eventually be available.

RBBrittian

My lake house in the Minneapolis DMA...I moved to Duluth DMA :)
I can still get Mpls DMA channels OTA

RBBrittain said:
Sorry to spoil the party, but the President has just signed SHVERA (see my thread in the General forum). Since Duluth is an LIL market, that means no new SD distants customers as of today, though HD distants will be available in the "analog white area". Of course, "significantly viewed" will eventually be available.
I would settle for my Hd distants...

Iceberg said:
RBBrittian

My lake house in the Minneapolis DMA...I moved to Duluth DMA :)
I can still get Mpls DMA channels OTA
I assume you meant "moved" in quotes. (I recall your situation from prior posts.) Nonetheless, since LIL is available in the Duluth DMA, then as long as the address you "moved" to (i.e., in E*'s books) can get that network off the Duluth spotbeam:
(a) New customers can't get SD distants anymore.
(b) SD distants customers as of 10/1/04 will get a letter within 60 days (i.e., by February 6) which they must return within 60 days of receipt in order to keep their SD distants--and then only until they get LIL. (For now, it appears those who got it after 10/1/04 will lose it.)
(c) Because of how the previous section is worded, those who get *both* LIL *and* distants will have to drop LIL, or else they WILL lose distants.

So basically you can't get SD distants anymore unless (a) you have it now, drop LIL, and respond to "the letter"; (b) you have an address in the "analog white area" of a non-LIL market you can "move" to; or (c) your Duluth DMA address can't pick up LIL (and if you tell E* that, you'll be moving for real--to Leavenworth). HD distants are a different matter; if you are in the "analog white area" of an LIL market, you can get HD distants with SD LIL (and even without it if you already have HD distants as of today).

RBBrittain said:
HD distants are a different matter; if you are in the "analog white area" of an LIL market, you can get HD distants with SD LIL (and even without it if you already have HD distants as of today).

But only HD distants that show programs at the same time as your SD LIL stations. IE...If your live on the west coast you can't have NY HD distants.

I love living in an "unserved area" :D

NightRyder

RBBrittain said:
I assume you meant "moved" in quotes. (I recall your situation from prior posts.) Nonetheless, since LIL is available in the Duluth DMA, then as long as the address you "moved" to (i.e., in E*'s books) can get that network off the Duluth spotbeam:
yep.."moved" :)
(a) New customers can't get SD distants anymore.
(b) SD distants customers as of 10/1/04 will get a letter within 60 days (i.e., by February 6) which they must return within 60 days of receipt in order to keep their SD distants--and then only until they get LIL. (For now, it appears those who got it after 10/1/04 will lose it.)
(c) Because of how the previous section is worded, those who get *both* LIL *and* distants will have to drop LIL, or else they WILL lose distants.

So basically you can't get SD distants anymore unless (a) you have it now, drop LIL, and respond to "the letter"; (b) you have an address in the "analog white area" of a non-LIL market you can "move" to; or (c) your Duluth DMA address can't pick up LIL (and if you tell E* that, you'll be moving for real--to Leavenworth). HD distants are a different matter; if you are in the "analog white area" of an LIL market, you can get HD distants with SD LIL (and even without it if you already have HD distants as of today).
it doesnt bother me. I was just making a note that all of a sudden if I moved back to the lake house, I had the opportunity to receive more SD distants when nothing in the area happened (like the CBS tower moving)..that was all :)

I have distants via a couple other systems :)

Anyone have a clue about how grandfathering will work next year?

I've had NYC, DEN, LA for many years - lost ABC because of the C. Spgs. affliate (KRDO SUCKS). I'd be happy to lose C.Spgs. if I had to - as long as I get ABC back.

NightRyder said:
But only HD distants that show programs at the same time as your SD LIL stations. IE...If your live on the west coast you can't have NY HD distants.

I love living in an "unserved area" :D

NightRyder

Sorry, I've asked this elsewhere, but living on the west coast, can I get NY HD distants with an RV waiver?

E*'s computer system has been known to glitch occasionally and give you permission when you don't qualify. You have to do it via the website as some of the CSRs will catch the glitch. Add the channels, but within a few months a computer audit may catch the error and yank them. (If they hit you with a downgrade charge, call and complain about you not authorizing the removal of the channels and they'll ax the fee)

I had to laugh at this one

Is it my eyes or did SD PQ got better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)